Jason Newsted selling a lot of his gear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moongrum

Reaction score
It's just an SD-4/5 circa 1990 with a longer treble side horn.
wow, looks way better without the elongated horn imo
pnixbbgcqz8thvwvovdj.jpg

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
My personal highlight is that 60 $ guitar that looks painted with the kids in a kindergarten project. That's the kind of shit parents love when it was their own little prodigy kid who painted it but not someone else's.

Sorry to say that might be a DIY job.

Different strokes for different folks!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The only thing I'd be particularly interested in is the double course 10 string. But NFW that will go at a price I'm willing to pay. I'm not one to care if an instrument was "artist owned" as I don't want to pay MORE for a used instrument - unless I'm damn sure it's a collector piece. Which is Latin for I don't own any collector pieces. :lol: I mean, Jason is my favorite of the various Metallica bassists, as I didn't discover them until after Cliff had passed. But I'm still not particularly drawn to any of these based on his ownership.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
It was brief but between 1994 - 1995 he was a Spector artist and even had a sig model. g was funny looking, though. It's like they tried to throw a Spector NS2/NS5 and Alembic Elon and Europa in a blender lol

View attachment 147272

But yeah Jason strictly used these in 1994 and 1995... then never used them again lol

Jesus that thing is ugly. I had no idea.

Wahwah

Reaction score
My personal highlight is that 60 $ guitar that looks painted with the kids in a kindergarten project. That's the kind of shit parents love when it was their own little prodigy kid who painted it but not someone else's.
Yeah, that seemed like the work of a rock star who hasn't been told that "eh, this might not be the best thing" for a while.

It's at least a warning to anyone thinking they might like to custom paint their own guitars.

Last edited:

Wahwah

Reaction score
Speaking generally, these sales are quite interesting to see what people have bought/invested in. I wonder how many 90s rock stars with huge collections of guitars are waiting to do their sale and how many guitars in those collections will have nothing to do with the player's output.

Because, I'm not really sure what a guitar owned by Jason Newstead is worth vs the same guitar not owned by him, if it's not an instrument that's been used on an album that people love. That's where the value comes from, surely?

What if the instrument doesn't really fit the player? Is Jason a vintage guitar guy in your mind? If I was shopping for an Ibanez Universe, would I pay more if it was previously owned by Steve Vai? What if it was previously owned by Rivers Cuomo? Rivers probably didn't write or track any of your favorite Weezer tracks on a 7 string. Just like most of these guitars don't seem to have much to do with Newstead's most beloved work.

There's instruments linked to 4 Metallica albums, a couple of live albums, an EP, and the instruments he used on tour that people will associate with him and it'd make sense to give some sort of premium for those things, imo. But, I'll be interested to see if this stuff that doesn't come from that era gets much of a boost as a result of his association.

If it does, he might as well buy and relist some other vintage instruments and enjoy the profit!

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I mean, it's common knowledge that Reverb plays a role in these sorts of sales because it's good press for the platform, right?

Wahwah

Reaction score
I mean, it's common knowledge that Reverb plays a role in these sorts of sales because it's good press for the platform, right?
I didn't know it, but would definitely expect it.

I assume Reverb will help set prices, curate promo materials, arrange interviews, etc. etc and that Newstead will get payment for his role promoting the platform.

If he just wanted to get rid of his collection, he could just contact Essex Recording Studios direct, after all.

')