Javier Reyes officially with ESP guitars, signature 8-string on the way

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
But is that because they can't special shapes, or because they don't want weird shapes?

I know that if i could get a custom guitar, it would be a superstrat or something, despite what the company might be able to build me.

It's obvious. Everybody here just wants Javier to tell ESP to build him a figured top RGA. :yesway:

And let's face it, almost nobody outside Japan (sans visual kei fans) wants the visual kei sigs. Most ESP players are content with Horizons, Mirage and Eclipse models. And it's already proven that the superstrat variants are what really appeal to the djent crowd... unless you guys want ESP to build Javier a Strandberg... as the Japanese sigs prove, ESP can probably do that too. :lol:

Still, great business move for Javier. Alex Skolnick did the same thing from Heritage to ESP. Sure I loved the idea of Alex championing the small business (well compared to Gibson anyway), but having their guitars unavailable even for him was the reason of his transition. Now he has both ESP and LTD sigs that everyone can enjoy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
you have to be James Hetfield or Tom Araya to get something special, and then it's only a minor variation.

The Buz-7 was a ground-up build. There was nothing like it previously in any of the ESP/LTD/Navigator/Grassroots lineup. They basically made an Ibanez Saber that was slightly less curvy.

Perhaps most artists rather have an H or M variant, but ESP can and will make a new body shape, even if you're not one of the "big guns".

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
I'd like to see Javier have ESP make him a beautiful 8-string Mystique, but then again, I wouldn't be able to afford it if that were the case, so I'll take a nice figured top H 8 string instead since none are available from them currently. Ibanez has just recently discovered nice figured tops as viable select woods on 7's, 8's, and 9's, so I'm hoping ESP make the effort to catch up and offer nicer tops (instead of their usual variations of black on their current LTD line of 7/8's).

EDIT: Being this will be a sig., I'm sure they'll be thinking outside the box since Javier is not a guy partial to any flat/trans black finishes. I'm expecting something similar to the Susi, tbh :2c:

Maggai

Slayer of the gods
Reaction score
SSO has never had much love for ESP for some reason apart from a few people here and there. ESP's are fantastic guitars, really looking forward to seeing Javier's sig, hope they do something classy and cool.

Also, here's a video of ESP working on a crazy guitar.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
SSO has never had much love for ESP for some reason apart from a few people here and there. ESP's are fantastic guitars, really looking forward to seeing Javier's sig, hope they do something classy and cool.

Also, here's a video of ESP working on a crazy guitar.

Until very, very recently (like last year) ESP never really had much love for 7+ strings and the North American market. Both of those demographics make up the significant majority of this site.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
More Mystiques would be cool which hopefully won't cost 5k USD, even though I'm not an 8 string player. It's definitely the coolest design some of the major guitar companies have put out in a while, and I can imagine that folks would want one that looks like his Carvin with a Hipshot bridge.

1395372097.jpg

Is he still an EMG player?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure those are actives in the Carvin anyway. No logo and they've got that semi-rounded top look like passive knockoffs or covers. :2c:

Thorerges

Reaction score
Literally why when there's Carvin

Follow the money I guess :ugh:

Its not just the money, but the exposure and attributes of being with a company like ESP. I don't know what kind of support (if any) Carvin gives to its artists.

If you play in a band like AAL, you need huge support and you can't shell out $3k for a guitar every few months if something goes wrong.

Thorerges

Reaction score
I saw Javier play his prototype yesterday. It looks really, really badass. Shame I didn't take pictures, but it's a 5A quilted top in light gray, some nice binding, stainless frets and gold knobs all over.

I hope they release a 6/7 string version of it too.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Ive read a few times in this thread that a few people hope they release this as a 6 or 7. He plays 8 strings and its a signature line, it would be a break from the norm if they did a 6 or 7 because the last time I checked, ESP and most other companies were not really releasing sig guitars in all formats. I mean yeah Tosin and Javier are all over the map on their 8's and take full advantage of every string so their playing styles can appeal to guys who play sixers, but I just dont see it happening. If anything they may release a new model with similar specs in a couple of years but I dont see them doing a full line of 6,7, and 8 strings for his sig.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Not to mention, he's not known for using 6s and 7s. It just doesn't make any sense to hope for a configuration contrary to what the artist is actually known for.

btbg

Reaction score
Ive read a few times in this thread that a few people hope they release this as a 6 or 7. He plays 8 strings and its a signature line, it would be a break from the norm if they did a 6 or 7 because the last time I checked, ESP and most other companies were not really releasing sig guitars in all formats. I mean yeah Tosin and Javier are all over the map on their 8's and take full advantage of every string so their playing styles can appeal to guys who play sixers, but I just dont see it happening. If anything they may release a new model with similar specs in a couple of years but I dont see them doing a full line of 6,7, and 8 strings for his sig.

There has been literally zero mention of that in this thread?

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I saw Javier play his prototype yesterday. It looks really, really badass. Shame I didn't take pictures, but it's a 5A quilted top in light gray, some nice binding, stainless frets and gold knobs all over.

I hope they release a 6/7 string version of it too.

Well, once. The other thread has a few mentions I think.

')