Jazz improv

• Thread starter seven skrang
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

seven skrang

Reaction score
can anyone show me some improv techniques particularly arpeggios?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's a pretty broad question, don't you think? ;)

I don't play much jazz these days, but tell me where you are, musically, and what you're trying to do, and I'll try to fill in a few missing links. ;)

seven skrang

Reaction score
well i know scales and modes, im know some theory. im trying to know how to solo off of chords and what not

theunforgiven246

BEHOLD KLUMPAMUS PRIME!
Reaction score
well you can play a specific scale to a chord like play an ionan on top a maj7 or aolien on top of the m7 and a mixolydian ontop of a 7. thats basicly it but i just fuck around the key the song is in and it usually works.

wolfsd

6 string? What's that?
Reaction score
Get yourself a couple of books on music theory. There is a book in the guitar grimoire series.....progressions and improvisation (I think it's titled something like that) you may find useful, in fact, all of the books in the series are pretty good....

steve

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Interesting, Jim.

Also mandatory if you want to play Jazz - "The Real Book, Volume I." when someone talks about a fake book, they mean this. Everything you need to know about soloing over changes can be learned by sitting down with one of these and working out arpeggios of the chords in the standards transcribed within.

-D

seven skrang

Reaction score
Drew said:
Interesting, Jim.

Also mandatory if you want to play Jazz - "The Real Book, Volume I." when someone talks about a fake book, they mean this. Everything you need to know about soloing over changes can be learned by sitting down with one of these and working out arpeggios of the chords in the standards transcribed within.

-D
thats weird, i have that one

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Work through that thing, Then you'll be a god.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah. If you know even the BASICS of chord theory and your stock modal scales, you should be able to come up with everything you need to know to play over anything.

I suck at playing changes, but that's just lack of practice, the theoretical side really isn't that tricky.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I mean, I don't know how to explain this any easier, but if you have to play over an Em9, then any Em9 chord tones will work - the root, m3, 5, m7, and 9 are all in play (respectively E, G, B, D, and F#). Say you're going back and forth between Em9 and C11 - switch from those chord tones to lines focusing on C, E, G, Bb, D, and F (root, 3, 5, b7, 9, 11) and you're good to go. Once this begins to get comfortable, you can start adding tones from extentions of these - suggest 11ths 13ths, and whatnot, as your ear begins to get comfortable with adding tension.

(a cautionary word - this is how to get comfortable playing "inside" and serious jazz guys think that's boring as fuck. Still, you gotta build the vocab before you can step out)

Find a head you like in your fake book, sit down, and once you're comfortable comping it, start going through and playing lines in straight 8ths with JUST chord tones, a nonstop stream of 8th note arpeggios, improvising. Don't worry about phrasing or anything, just force yourself to keep playing. Once you can do this in your sleep all over the neck, start adding outside tones, scale tones, varying the phrasing, and just go to town.

If you've got volume II, I've always been partial to Gershwin's "Summertime," Carmichael's "Georgia," and Waldron's "All Alone."

-D

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
I mean, I don't know how to explain this any easier, but if you have to play over an Em9, then any Em9 chord tones will work - the root, m3, 5, m7, and 9 are all in play (respectively E, G, B, D, and F#). Say you're going back and forth between Em9 and C11 - switch from those chord tones to lines focusing on C, E, G, Bb, D, and F (root, 3, 5, b7, 9, 11) and you're good to go. Once this begins to get comfortable, you can start adding tones from extentions of these - suggest 11ths 13ths, and whatnot, as your ear begins to get comfortable with adding tension.

(a cautionary word - this is how to get comfortable playing "inside" and serious jazz guys think that's boring as fuck. Still, you gotta build the vocab before you can step out)

Find a head you like in your fake book, sit down, and once you're comfortable comping it, start going through and playing lines in straight 8ths with JUST chord tones, a nonstop stream of 8th note arpeggios, improvising. Don't worry about phrasing or anything, just force yourself to keep playing. Once you can do this in your sleep all over the neck, start adding outside tones, scale tones, varying the phrasing, and just go to town.

If you've got volume II, I've always been partial to Gershwin's "Summertime," Carmichael's "Georgia," and Waldron's "All Alone."

-D

I proclaim this statement true. Excellent post, Drew.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
dpmasunder said:
I proclaim Jazz supreme and administer Naked City.
pfffff *flex*

Sorry, I'm late to the party :lol:

Agreed. Administering Stanley Jordan "Live in New York."

He makes "Somewhere over the Rainbow" cool.

seven skrang

Reaction score
screw not being metal
be individual as possible and thanks for the help guhys much appreciated

kman

lllllll
Reaction score
Anyone here like Chick Corea? He was just in Pittsburgh. He is one of my favorite jazz musicians, hes fricken awesome. :scream:

')