JCM 800 Alternatives

• Thread starter ArtDecade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals)...

I am looking for an amp that can cop some of those classic JCM 800 tones, like Scott Ian, John Norum, Nuno Bettencourt, etc. But, I don't need 100w (or even 50w). Are there any low powered amps out there that I can start to look at? I would prefer something with an effects loop, but I won't lose sleep over not having one. Options, options, options... Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Are all of those based on the 800? The Laney amps I have played always sounded closer to the 900s (or like modded 800s). I don't know anything about Jet City though.

Atomshipped

Reaction score
Everyone seems to like Blackstar for that... They have heads and combos available in 1W/5W/20W/50W/100W/200W. The HT series is cheaper and available with low wattage where the Series One is better and more versatile and has Dynamic Power Reduction to get down to low wattage (not sure how or how well it actually works).

Jet City is based on Soldano.

mniel8195

Reaction score
the blackstar is going to sound better than a new jcm800 out of the box forsure. As far as old jcm800...maybe 1/10 sound magical. i would get the blackstar. Great build and great value.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Any rack preamps get in this range? Like the RockMaster?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Why not the Marshall JMP-1 with an AMT Tube Cake or one of the EHX pedal power amps? Or if you already have a power amp, just grab the JMP-1. :D

artmachine

Reaction score
I know you're looking for lower watt amps, but you should reallyyy check out peavey VTM's and butchers. Both amps are extremely similar to 800s and marshall even made peavey stop making both amps because of how similar they were. They can be found for between $150 and $300 on the reg. The VTM has a 60 watt version too. They pop up on craigslist all the time and both are available on guitarcenter.com's used section right now. Also look into sovtek MIGs. There are 50, 60 and 100 watt versions and those amps are also supposed to be very similar to 800s.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Blackstar HT Series do a great job of doing that Marshall tone. They come in 1, 5, 20, 40, 50, 60 and 100 watt versions. The company was started by a couple of ex-Marshall employees if I remember correctly.

Marshall JMP-1 preamp could also do that for ya.

Splawn amps are very much modeled off of the hot-rodded Marshall tone.

And don't forget the AMT series pedals, they have a preamp pedal (M1?) that is modeled off a JCM 800 I believe, though it could be a 900.

Reaction score
Ian and Nuno both use Randall's now. Maybe look into those? They're more American voiced, but they apparently found something they liked.

adadglgmut

Notes from a Ghost
Reaction score
Splawn and Hiwatt get my vote for Marshall type tones. Blackstar does some cool stuff too, but I wouldn't bother with anything lower than their Series One and Artisan lines. Didn't dig the HT-20 or 100.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Ian and Nuno both use Randall's now. Maybe look into those? They're more American voiced, but they apparently found something they liked.

This. Look for an old Randall RM20 + the SL+ model. Thats their JCM-voice module and it's supposed to also be a bit ganier I believe. Otherwise, since you want Scott's tone, get the RM20 + the 1987 or The Nuts module, which are his signature ones. The 1987 is based on his old JCM800 + TC Line Driver/Booster tones and The Nuts is based on his modern tone.

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
+1 on the blackstar stuff. Ive played the HT series and thought it sounded very good. Def a Marshall-type of tone. I was impressed.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Bugera 1990 INFINIUM (please guys, dont stone me for that one! lol) I have heard these in person and to my ears they dont sound any different than an 800. Just like others state time and time again tho, when dealing with Bugera, MAKE SURE you get the warranty!! I can vouch for their customer service being fantastic tho :agreed:

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
It's a shame you're not in Australia! There is a guy here with an amp company called Valvetone who is making a JCM800 preamp and running a 30w power section. The samples I have heard so far are amazing.

AFAIK his amps are made for Aussie voltage (nominal 230v) and might require a step-up transformer depending on your local voltage.

His website is fairly minimal, but you can find some more info on the amp on the Aussie Guitar Gear Heads forum. The amp is called "Master Jim" and can be found in the "In The Shed" section. His amps are handmade to a standard I have not seen anywhere else, ever. They are works of art, and every one of his amplifiers that I have heard has sounded amazing.

Worth checking out if you don't mind not being able to try before you buy.

Chris O

Not The Dude...
Reaction score
I had a Friedman-modded Jet City JCA20 that kicked MAJOR ass. It had the BE mod with sat switch (Jose), and loop. Got it for $550, and it was as good as the Metro Plexi I had with the same mods done to it.

')