JCM800 ➥ SLO Crunch/Clean (normal channel) + X88R crunch mods [amp rebuild/conversion]

• Thread starter owlexifry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

owlexifry

Reaction score
just thought i’d share this recent build story (well, rebuild), might be interesting to some.

I've had a heavily modified mojotone(stewmac) 2204/JCM800 kit build sitting around since I first built it in late 2020.
(did the usual mods like José master volume and switchable zener diode clipping, and other mods I tried that probably didn't sound that great)
IMG_4734.jpeg

- stripped it down
IMG_4735.jpeg

- designed wiring layout to allow switching (DPDT) between clean / crunch modes - as per SLO100 normal channel.
IMG_4742.jpeg

- rebuilt with new layout (+ improved grounding)
IMG_4565.jpeg

at this point - the preamp here, with the single DPDT switch - was essentially a direct clone of the SLO normal channel (clean / crunch) - with exception to other variables like B+ voltages and filtering etc. + bright cap hardwired on (i never turn it off on my SLO100 clone build).

Sounded great.
IMG_4736.jpeg

Did some reading on the forums, and saw a lot of people talking about how the X88R rack preamp versions of the crunch channel are more aggressive than the SLO crunch. Found some schematics, and yeah I could see what they were on about.
- So I retroactively decided to add switches to modify x2 values to match soldano X88R-spec as seen on available schematics.
(2M2 to 680K via parallel 1M; 1uF cathode bypass (V2A) to 100nF)

IMG_4739.jpeg

Also added another switchable gain boost mod that i tried and really liked - cathode bypass cap on V1B (470nF)

Finished gut-shot:
IMG_4643.jpeg

IMG_4747.jpg

band prac shake-down: (discovered most of the volume range is in the first 1/4 turn of the MV lol)
IMG_4741.jpeg

The last couple days I've been unwell, so not at work and house-bound.
Was a great opportunity to play with this amp some more, so I decided to crack open the treasure chest and actually tried out something different other than a JJ for V1.
I've mostly been pretty lazy/sketpical about rolling tubes, but i assume V1 would be most vulnerable to tube changes, and since this amp only has x3 12AX7s, I gave it a go.
- tried an EHX, sounded much the same as JJ, maybe a little smoother.
- then i tried a Tung-Sol.
HOLY SHIT.
Now I get why there's people that rave about this one.
I could feel it immediately, it was like the blooming of the distortion/grind was opening/breathing with greater ease / more dynamic. It's hard to describe and I'd hate to use mojo terminology/jargon.
As objectively as I could tell, it sounds like there's a little bit more high end sizzle in the Tung-Sol than the JJ.
V1 position for a high gain amp - i would definitely recommend this one.

other specs:
x3 12AX7 (V1: Tung Sol V2: JJ V3: Sovtek LPS)
x2 KT77 (Genalex)
B+1 filter cap - 200uF (F&T 100+100 cap can) - for maximum punch / low end response.

since I had so much free time at home off work, I've attempted to showcase the tones this amp is capable of with some demos.
I'm very pleased with how much tight saturated gain this has for an amp with just x3 12AX7s.

CRUNCH CHANNEL DEMO (BOOSTED)

CLEAN & CRUNCH DEMO (FULL SWEEP FROM CLEAN TO CRUNCH, +/- BOOSTING)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Sounds and looks good! I have a 2203 clone I built years ago I have also modded like a 1000 times, lol. I have a Jet City I SLO modded, so I know both of the circuits very well.

Sometimes I think about building another head. Dont really know what though, lol.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Sounds great. Would love to have those mods on my SLO but now it maybe counts as a vintage amp I can't mess with. Maybe I can at least get the depth knob. Mine sounds nowhere near that badass though.

owlexifry

Reaction score
Sounds and looks good! I have a 2203 clone I built years ago I have also modded like a 1000 times, lol. I have a Jet City I SLO modded, so I know both of the circuits very well.
cheers 🤟🏻
heck yeah, 2203 kit would be a good time. i always wonder what im missing out with a 2204/50W equivalent (usually i find lower wattage equivalents have more of an aggressive high end edge at the expense of less punch / girth, i guess it’s not all bad)

jet city would be a great one to mod. is it really that far off SLO specs?

Sometimes I think about building another head. Dont really know what though, lol.
get this, ceriatone just released SLO kits

Sounds great. Would love to have those mods on my SLO but now it maybe counts as a vintage amp I can't mess with. Maybe I can at least get the depth knob. Mine sounds nowhere near that badass though.
thanks! 🤙
yeah true may not be wise to mod an original..
imo if you’re actually going to play it enough and want the best out of it, i highly recommend the depth control. it’s glorious. night and day.

if you want it to sound as badass, just put a maxon ST-9pro+/ST-9 in front of it.
(depth will help too).

Shask

Reaction score
cheers 🤟🏻
heck yeah, 2203 kit would be a good time. i always wonder what im missing out with a 2204/50W equivalent (usually i find lower wattage equivalents have more of an aggressive high end edge at the expense of less punch / girth, i guess it’s not all bad)

jet city would be a great one to mod. is it really that far off SLO specs?

100w usually has more highs and lows. More hi-fi, where 50w seems more mid forward.

I have a JCA100HDM. It was only about 8 parts or so away from a SLO100. However, I also did extensive mods to move the loop after the tone stack, so that was much harder.

')