Jean Baudin 11 String Conklin "Lava" : 56k No Way

• Thread starter Papa Shank
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else think the lower strings having a much thinner section over the bridge creates a weak spot, buggers intonation and won't give the same tone as a full thickness string?

Oh, and I don't know how he affords them all, but I do know that his "hideous claw" bass was a gift from a fan.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Garry Goodman said:
You are too easily impressed my friend. He plays a very simplified version of the theme leaving out the Rumba feel in the bass, the 3 part chord melody and the 2-3 octave span between the bass and melody. Why does only use 5-6 strings to play it on an 11-string? Why does he need an 11-string at all? Playing the Super Mario Theme is like "tapping 101." It's no big deal.
I do however like his tasteful use of the low C# string in the video...as a thumb rest.

He doesnt have to play virtuosic arrangements of things all the time, he's done other things to prove he's an excellent bass player. He played that arrangement on his 9 string, just for the sake of having an arrangement that has all 11 strings. Hell, i dont go out of my way to use my low b string on 6 string songs..

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
I just realized how weird his influences are:
nina persson, barbra streisand, noriko sakai, harriet wheeler, avril lavigne, coralie clément, jonatha brooke, azure ray, alizeé, angie hart, imogen heap, kelly clarkson, madonna, nina gordon, jenny lewis, björk, sia, chisato moritaka & anal cunt.

Out of nowhere comes Anal Cunt.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude, Anal Cunt rules lol

Apparently his influences also include the Namco Arcade Collection Vols.1-2 and other such titles

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
noodles said:
[action=Noodles]brings the count to three.[/action]
[action=Leon]tries to pick up his jaw while dodging Darren's jaw, trips over Chris' jaw, and lands on Noodles' jaw.[/action]

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
that guitar is actually for middle school jazz band classes...so all the students can learn how to play bass at the same time...on the same guitar

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Garry Goodman said:
Well I guess I'll make a vid of me playing the Super Mario Theme on my Adler 12-string,but I will read it directly off the piano sheet music. it will demonstrate my point. Probably on Your Tube under my name.

Could you do that? I'd be very interested in seeing it. I'm quite a fan of video game music and that kind of video sounds very interesting.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Garry Goodman said:
I like his tune "Frosty Acres" and I think he is talented, but I don't think he would last 5 minutes in a professional situation requiring a virtuoso or even excellent bassist. Internet popularity is one thing, but real playing situations with truly excellent musicians is another. Being a top flight reader, a click track player, knowing tunes, styles and laying down a groove is a completely different story. Did the guy go to school and study music?

Could give us an example of someone who does fit the above criteria for a pro bassist (Steve Bailey? Bill Dickens?)?.
Regarding the Mario video, I suspect it was just meant to be a funny, goofy thing, not a chops showcase.

D

Desecrated

Garry

please upload some videos or songs with some good soundquality, I´ve actually never heard your playing.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Garry Goodman said:
"Bubblework" features the first 11-string bass with the low C#0 string I created a bass line that spans 6 octaves which can sound like guitar in the upper octaves. It is played using 2-hand touch style playing.I use the open C#0 string at the end of the tune, and it is very clear. There are no bass or guitar overdubs on these tracks. Headphones are recommended if you are listening on the computer.

Holy shit do I suck.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Garry Goodman said:
How about proving he's a virtuoso even one time? What exactly has he done to prove he's excellent bass player?
Super Mario is really basic, and with an 11- or 12-string, it takes about 3 minutes to read the tune down correctly.

Why does he even have to prove anything? There's other videos of him playing more 'difficult stuff' (Invention 13 IN Am, f.ex.). He's not touting himself to be some kind of god. Just some dude who likes to play basses with lots of strings.

')