Jean Baudin 11 String Conklin "Lava" : 56k No Way

• Thread starter Papa Shank
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
^ Agreed. Music should never be a competition about who can read better, pick faster, or shred over more complex chord changes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

D

Desecrated

Garry Goodman said:
Here's some funny,goofy clips: Garry Goodman at Pasadena Bass day 06.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aehJaSYrLrQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUntc-TEVzI
This was live with a drummer and pianist just walking up and joining in.
and here's 4 mp3 quality tracks from my last CD:
http://www.myspace.com/garrygoodman
These tracks are from "Tap Dance On A Cloud". The Cd features master guitarist David Nielsen and the bass lines were written to exploit the 7-string bass.Alex Acuña and Ivan Krillzarin on percussion.
All tracks are played using my 1987 Tobias 7-string and i am using my Percussive Harmonic technique combined with 2-handed touch playing as well. About 90% of bass parts are playedv in harmonics.
"Bubblework" features the first 11-string bass with the low C#0 string I created a bass line that spans 6 octaves which can sound like guitar in the upper octaves. It is played using 2-hand touch style playing.I use the open C#0 string at the end of the tune, and it is very clear. There are no bass or guitar overdubs on these tracks. Headphones are recommended if you are listening on the computer.
These bass parts utilize all the strings on the basses.
I'll try to tape the piano arrangement o f"Super Mario" this week and post it.
Thanks for your interest.

a couple of questions.

Do you tune your bass in open tuning or in chords.

When I do tapping i touch the string with my right finger and then kinda go left so that i flick, lash; gibe, taunt the string, do you also do that or do you have your amp set so high that you just touch the string.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Garry Goodman said:
You are right. If he wants to keep ordering expensive basses with lots of strings because he likes to play them,good for him.
It would be a different story if he actually made a living as a bassist or a recording artist.
Competition, no, but maintaining a high level of musicianship is a must if one is to be considered excellent. I am talking about playing with a solid time center and well articulated passages. Perhaps that is too much to ask.
You know three 11-strings and things played that only need a 6-string to play them . When you play Mario, written with a 3 octave span on a bass that easily accomdates a song with a 3 octave span, why play it in 2 octaves?

The dude probably does make a living off it. He has a few CDs out with Nuclear Rabbit, does solo shows and stuff. If he doesnt make a living off it, he has a pretty sweet 'second job' that gets him badass endorsements. what more could you want? One of his basses, some dude GAVE to him. Hell, i'd LOVE for someone to give me free shit like that.
It just sounds like you've got some vandetta against the guy, or something. i mean, Who cares, really? He obviously isnt a hack, he's a good bass player, and i maintain that, after seeing some videos of his, and downloading some mp3s. He played well, he entertained me. Passages sounded 'articulate' and in time. Sounds good enough for me.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
lol...guys this thread was only really supposed to be about the instrument but I may aswell throw in my opinion now. Jean Baudin is no virtuoso, that said I've never heard him claim to be and yeah...I've never seen/heard him use the full range of his 11 stringers (or even his 9's tbh) let alone his 12 stringer but I like his playing in Nuclear Rabbit and I find ERB interesting so I'm not about to complain.

I did take the oppertunity to ask him a while ago why he has 9+ string basses when he only uses 4-6 strings max and he told me that it was to allow for more playing positions and that he intended to write music that took advantage of the range. Not too sure about the playing position answer being a good reason but if he writes stuff that requires that much range then bring it on.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Garry...

Listened to a couple of Jean Baudin clips, including one of him playing a Bach two part invention, and his playing was more than acceptable to my ears. His timing and articulation were both excellent. Then again, I'm not a full-time bassist, or a pro-musician (although I'm currently studying with that as my goal), so maybe we're hearing it with different sets of ears. I don't know, and to be honest, does it really matter?
MK and I both rated him, you didn't. Life goes on. Let's discuss something different.

Oh, I just checked out Tap Dance on a Cloud too... Great tune! Respect due...:yesway:

God Hand Apostle

Tin Foil Central
Reaction score
Yeah...I dont think Jean is near the likes of Garry, Jauqo III-X, or Al Caldwell.

On another note...Jean says when he gets back from the Lodo Bass Bash in Colorado (August 4-6th), he is going to put up two of his 9 strings for sale. The Conklin "Wally" (walnut), and Bee "Knee Bee". If I were to have a bass built, it would be a Bee 9 string "Knee Bee". I wonder if he wants a VF Mito 7 string fretless for a straight trade? Doubt it!!!

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
D-EJ915 said:
Damn, that is now officially the ugliest bass on earth, lol. It's a great piece of craftsmanship but I hate the way that 'blended' wood looks, it's just plain ugly to me.
Probably plays like nothing else, though \m/
+1, its hideous.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
D-EJ915 said:
Damn, that is now officially the ugliest bass on earth, lol.

False.

DSCN4376.jpg

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Garry Goodman said:
I am sorry, and I am not alone in this opinion-he has no business playing 9+ string basses. I'd be happy just to hear him lay down a solid groove on a 4-string.
Well - just to add yet another opinion - I personally haven't heard enough of Jean's playing to warrant a judgment of his skill or musicianship, but seeing him with all his ERB's makes me very happy!

It seems to me that you bass players are already quite open-minded about extended range, but I've been amazed at how closed-minded the average guitarist can be. I've had players which I respect actually refuse to touch my 7-string just because it looks different and unfamiliar.
As far as I'm concerned, anyone who plays an extended-range instrument is helping all of us.

On another note - big +1 to your awesome Tapdance on a Cloud disc Garry!
Fabulous tones and pristine playing.:yesway:

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Garry Goodman said:
I am sorry, and I am not alone in this opinion-he has no business playing 9+ string basses. I'd be happy just to hear him lay down a solid groove on a 4-string.
No business playing 9+ basses? Since when was there a "Rite of Passage" ceremony involved in playing ANY instrument. You don't like what he does. That's fine. However, I think it's rather pompous of you to try and declare who's "worthy" of playing said instrument. Ok, so you are the creator of the first 7-string bass. You've since moved on to 12-stringers. Good for you, but there's no need to slag on other players who play the same type of instrument you do....especially since there are so little of you in the 7+ string bass clique. And last I checked, these people would be the clientele for your itty-bitty bass string company. Slagging potential clientele isn't exactly smart considering there are those who not only look up to you, but plan to buy your pending product.

By this rationale, should I tell every 7-string guitarist to become a master virtuoso on a 6-string first before moving up to a 7? I mean jeez dude, it's just extra strings. That's something you should know quite a bit about.

We're glad to have you here, just let Jean (and everyone else, for that matter) have a bit of fun.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
Garry Goodman said:
"Bubblework" features the first 11-string bass with the low C#0 string I created a bass line that spans 6 octaves which can sound like guitar in the upper octaves. It is played using 2-hand touch style playing.I use the open C#0 string at the end of the tune, and it is very clear. There are no bass or guitar overdubs on these tracks. Headphones are recommended if you are listening on the computer.

Yikes that's good! :bowdown:

Still, while we're on the subject of bassists, Jonas Hellborg. :bowdown:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Shannon said:
No business playing 9+ basses? Since when was there a "Rite of Passage" ceremony involved in playing ANY instrument. You don't like what he does. That's fine. However, I think it's rather pompous of you to try and declare who's "worthy" of playing said instrument. Ok, so you are the creator of the first 7-string bass. You've since moved on to 12-stringers. Good for you, but there's no need to slag on other players who play the same type of instrument you do....especially since there are so little of you in the 7+ string bass clique. And last I checked, these people would be the clientele for your itty-bitty bass string company. Slagging potential clientele isn't exactly smart considering there are those who not only look up to you, but plan to buy your pending product.

By this rationale, should I tell every 7-string guitarist to become a master virtuoso on a 6-string first before moving up to a 7? I mean jeez dude, it's just extra strings. That's something you should know quite a bit about.

We're glad to have you here, just let Jean (and everyone else, for that matter) have a bit of fun.

I haven't commented much at all in this thread, but I have to say that I agree 100% with this. :agreed: Once again, very well said, Shannon.

')