Jeff Loomis leaves Nevermore

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
FYI I meant metal that's not power metal - guess that wasn't particularly clear. As in, he's not Daniel Heiman but he's still very good.

Saying Warrel is horrible because you don't like his style is akin to saying Bulb sucks because you don't like teh djentz - yet one of those is 'socially acceptable' on here and the other is not.

Ah, well, in that case, what you said makes sense. I didn't say Warrel is horrible, I said that he can be annoying sometimes. You also won't get any Bulb worship out of me, so you can save that one - that one isn't a "get out of jail free card", but it sure gets played a lot.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Ah, well, in that case, what you said makes sense. I didn't say Warrel is horrible, I said that he can be annoying sometimes. You also won't get any Bulb worship out of me, so you can save that one - that one isn't a "get out of jail free card", but it sure gets played a lot.

You didn't, but someone did (and many others have said or implied that here and elsewhere). I quoted them in that first post you replied to. Bulb's an easy target for that comparison - the guy is very good but has a style that most people (outside of this forum) don't like. I love how trying to compliment the guy still nets negative responses :lol:

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Well, I didn't mean to seem negative there - I dont dislike Bulb's playing or anything. I happen to be a fan of more melodic metal than not, so my not preferring Warrel doesn't have to do with my musical tastes, it's just that he's hit or miss for me. That said, I listed to "This Godless Endeavor" today for the first time in a long time and thoroughly enjoyed it (vocals included).

ArrowHead

Reaction score
I may ask him, but I don't remember ever seeing Attila doing vocal stuff, to be frank! He's Hungarian, and unless he happened to be in the UK at the time, I'd probably see him playing the guitar as opposed to singing. His name is Attila Vöros, if you care to check.

Ahh, okay. This attilla wasn't really named attilla. His name was Julien Perier. He was a member on the Meshuggah forums that emailed in some vocals for Tesseract back before they got a singer. Was actually my favorite vocalist he's had.

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
Gay. This made me sad.

Here's to Jeff not being resigned to a fate of boring as fuck tech death bands du jour.

Or being a random guest solo guy on everyone's next album.

Infinite Recursion

Reaction score
Jeff has his solo project. He's likely become enough of a star in his own right, especially amongst musicians, that he can support himself with his solo band and by doing clinics, lessons, etc. Plus, the guy on here who leaked the news of Jeff's departure also said something about him possibly joining another band.

In terms of Jeff's replacement, I think it will be tough. Anyone who gets his style dead on probably won't have anything real fresh to contribute to the band, and those who would have something fresh (someone somewhere recommended Emil from Daath, guys like that) might not be able to get Jeff's style dead on. I think that the band should probably just give up now and go out with some dignity instead of becoming redundant or just stagnating on hiatus.

Icecold

Reaction score
:scratch: Only 2005? TGE (or do you mean the reissue of EoR) was not a rookie effort.

When TGE came out every album out of the U.S that wasn't by a band called Nile was a Slaughter of the Soul tribute album. TGE brought down the hammer and gave me hope in the U.S scene.

rfseet

Reaction score
I am probably the only one who wants to see Broderick leave Megadeth. Then Loomis and Broderick can form a Cacophony style Instrumental Shred band. :shred:

Why not replace Jason Becker in the original Cacophony then? Marty Friedman's free anyway!:bowdown:

ProgCorey

Reaction score
Have people got rocks in their heads? Jeff didn't completely make Nevermore, it was like a complete combination of Jeff's style and Warrel's feel to the songs, I think i'd be just as upset if Warrel Dane left.

This news breaks my heart..

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
This thread: TL;DR.

However, I will say that I love pretty much all of Nevermore's songs. However, I can't stand listening to more than a few in a row, because they are all in the same key, and are all just riding that low Bb. It gets tiresome if it's 15-20 minutes of Bb. Individually great songs, but in an album they all become meh IMHO. I loved the solo album though.

I really want to see Friedman and Loomis collaborate on something, because if anyone can replace Becker, Loomis might come close (IMHO). It would by almost like Cacophony with 7s!

EDIT: Should have read rfseet's post. Whatever, I agree.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Lots of guys can fill jeffs shoes: merrow, bulb,rusty cooley, chris storey

lolwutpear_2.jpg

filipe200x

Custom is better
Reaction score
Awesome! I'm excited to see what's to come. Loomis could do so much better than Nevermore.

I won't say i think it's awesome, cause i LOVE Nevermore's instrumental. But Loomis shouldn't stay with Warrell Dane as a vocalist...That guy is one pessimistic fuck.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Ahh, okay. This attilla wasn't really named attilla. His name was Julien Perier. He was a member on the Meshuggah forums that emailed in some vocals for Tesseract back before they got a singer. Was actually my favorite vocalist he's had.

Ah, that makes sense - the idea of Attila being a vocalist was really fucking weird, to be honest! :lol:

Opeth666

Reaction score
so im anxious to hear an official statement from someone, really don't care if they say what the reason was although it would be nice to know, but more so of what future projects they have in mind and where they are going to go from here as a "band" or as Individuals

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
so im anxious to hear an official statement from someone, really don't care if they say what the reason was although it would be nice to know, but more so of what future projects they have in mind and where they are going to go from here as a "band" or as Individuals

Hasn't Jeff and Van released a joint statement?

Latest posts

')