Jeff Loomis leaves Nevermore

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Who is this Loomis guy everyone is going on about? Have I missed something? :scratch:

That's Jeff Loomis previously of Nevermore, considered to be one heck of a shredder, a sevenstringer too. I would go as far as saying that he's a virituoso, but some people would probably disagree, he's extreme nonetheless

Check out Nevermore, you won't regrett it

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AirJordanStaal

Reaction score
I will chime in here. I prefer the older 6-string nevermore stuff and sanctuary. And it has nothing to do with the band's songs and playing. Instead, it's my EARS.

As I age, my hearing has gotten worse. And as you'd expect, it's the really high frequencies and low frequencies I have trouble hearing. This is part of the reason I can't get into AAL, and prefer the older Nevermore. When you get down on that lower string and start ripping single note riffs, I can hear the RHYTHM, but cannot distinguish the PITCH of the notes. So I can ABSOLUTELY see how someone would mistakenly hear it as "riding the low b".

And as an aside of GREAT IMPORTANCE, let this again serve as a reminder: WEAR your earplugs. TURN DOWN your headphones. BE CAREFUL! Hearing loss is a natural part of aging. Don't exacerbate it.

I agree that hearing loss is a serious issue and it really sucks that yours is getting worse, but I sincerely doubt that that other poster was making judgements like the ones he made due to his hearing loss. If he did then he should know his own limitations and not blame it on loomis regardless.

Saying "my hearing isn't what it used to be and it sounds like Loomis really rides the low Bb" is one thing (and it definitely just made me turn my headphones down a little, thanks). Saying all nevermore songs ride the low Bb is totally different and pretty much the only way someone could say that is if they only heard like 1 nevermore song or something.

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
I agree that hearing loss is a serious issue and it really sucks that yours is getting worse, but I sincerely doubt that that other poster was making judgements like the ones he made due to his hearing loss. If he did then he should know his own limitations and not blame it on loomis regardless.

Saying "my hearing isn't what it used to be and it sounds like Loomis really rides the low Bb" is one thing (and it definitely just made me turn my headphones down a little, thanks). Saying all nevermore songs ride the low Bb is totally different and pretty much the only way someone could say that is if they only heard like 1 nevermore song or something.
Its definately not hearing, because even if you loose the bass your brain still rebuilds the root waves out of the more audible overtones, its loomis' tone.

Listen to the verse riff in born closely, you mostly hear sharp attack and not a distinctive pitch height, the lower the tuning and the sharper the tone, the more the guitar sounds like a rhytmic noise and not a distinctive pitch... in a lot of styles this is preferable, maybe some people dislike it and thus prefer the higher tuned nevermore... for myself i absolutely thrive on the 7 string stuff, loomis' riffs are the tits

and to the guy asking whos loomis: hope ya trolling hard :lol:

Murmel

Reaction score
That's Jeff Loomis previously of Nevermore, considered to be one heck of a shredder, a sevenstringer too. I would go as far as saying that he's a virituoso, but some people would probably disagree, he's extreme nonetheless

Check out Nevermore, you won't regrett it

Jag var ju inte alls sarkastisk heller :lol:

New Age Moron

Reaction score
I just get accustomed to Warrel Dane's voice, thus gaining the ability to fully appreciate Nevermore, then the next week this happens. Ah well, I anticipate the next Jeff Loomis solo album greatly.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I wish Jeff would hookup with whoever was the other guitarist on "Politics of Ecstacy"
and write some fresh songs. I love all the 7 string stuff (especially EOR ) but to me that CD has some of the best writing and best rifffage they ever did as a band.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
that's pat o'brien and he plays in cannibal corpse. He left nevermore because his dream was to play death metal and cannibal corpse was his favorite band, so he auditioned as soon as a position opened there, meaning that's his dream job and he won't be leaving it any time soon. :)

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
he actually wasn't though

but he made nevermore just sooooo enjoyable, after the news i listened to warrels solo stuff on youtube, and it just sounded like nevermore with boring guitars and uninspired drumming, warrels voice is great but without nevermore it does nothing for me and as i assume does nothing for a lot of other people either

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
but he made nevermore just sooooo enjoyable, after the news i listened to warrels solo stuff on youtube, and it just sounded like nevermore with boring guitars and uninspired drumming, warrels voice is great but without nevermore it does nothing for me and as i assume does nothing for a lot of other people either

the whole point of the solo album was to not sound like Nevermore. He explored more of his simplistic/goth oriented influences and tried to write more simplistic, melodic songs.

It's not my favorite album either, but it did what he wanted it to do.

Jeff was absolutely a huge part of Nevermore, but I can't agree with people who feel that he WAS the band, especially since the albums that feature him as the only guitarist are their worst imo, and their best albums are the ones in which everyone participated more equally. Especially Tim Calvert, I think Jeff was very influenced by his playing and vice versa on DNB.

Too bad Tim is living his dream and flying commercial planes now and has no desire to return to music.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Don't really mind, nothing lasts forever. I'd prefer Nevermore to just end now, rather than trying to roll along without it's arms and legs.

Gryphon

Reaction score
Jeff was absolutely a huge part of Nevermore, but I can't agree with people who feel that he WAS the band, especially since the albums that feature him as the only guitarist are their worst imo, and their best albums are the ones in which everyone participated more equally. Especially Tim Calvert, I think Jeff was very influenced by his playing and vice versa on DNB.

^^^^This:yesway: Jeff is my favorite guitarist out there right now, but you're spot on saying Nevermore's best CD's were the ones with a second guitarist writing. I'll keep following what Jeff does, but I can't wait to hear the next Nevermore CD (assuming there is one).

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
Supergroup idea 10000000000:

Jeff Loomis.
Ron Jarzombek.
Alex Webster.
Van Williams.
Russell Allen.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
the whole point of the solo album was to not sound like Nevermore. He explored more of his simplistic/goth oriented influences and tried to write more simplistic, melodic songs.

It's not my favorite album either, but it did what he wanted it to do.

Too bad Tim is living his dream and flying commercial planes now and has no desire to return to music.

But the thing is, This Godless Endeavor was in fact the album that notable had songs where Loomis wasn't a writer (4 songs)
Only album I don't have admittedly is DNB (yes I know, shame on me :lol:), but I'm pretty sure everything else is more or less written by Loomis :shrug: I think it has more to do with what period of Nevermore you like in general, nothing to really do with their being two guitarists or not on board. This Godless Endeavor had two guitarists on board, one of which featured heavily in the song writing, but that doesn't seem to be in the period of Nevermore you really enjoy :shrug:

Aside from the debut album which I don't care for most, I love most periods of Nevermore.
Kinda crazy how far Nevermore were actually pushing the boundaries with The Politics of Ecstasy with the song writing and a certain style of prog metal that hadn't been done before, but it seems the album never really got big unfortunately. It was more so bands like Dream Theater that were dominating the prog world at the time and stole the limelight.

While of course DHIADW was the album that first used 7 string guitars, I feel like it's actually Enemies of Reality and This Godless Endeavor that really opened up to the world more possibilities with the 7 string.
Sounds weird, but it just seems by the time they got to Enemies of Reality, Jeff was feeling more comfortable with the 7 string and really showed off more of what it could do, while DHIADW was more kinda showing the beginnings of what he would be doing with it.

')