Jeff Loomis leaves Nevermore

• Thread starter Scar Symmetry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steve08

Reaction score
Supergroup idea 10000000000:

Jeff Loomis.
Ron Jarzombek.
Alex Webster.
Van Williams.
Russell Allen.
Russell Allen? :X With Ron freaking Jarz and Alex Webster? That couldn't possibly come out well.

Also, Jeff and Ron would not be a good combo anyway, their styles are almost completely different.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
Russell Allen? :X With Ron freaking Jarz and Alex Webster? That couldn't possibly come out well.

Also, Jeff and Ron would not be a good combo anyway, their styles are almost completely different.

I don't think you're giving those guys enough credit for being versatile.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score

My guitarist and I are exact opposites. It's perfect. Variety is key.

metalheadblues

Reaction score
I wonder what alttila is up to??sux the dude just joined the band and this happened..
maybe he can continue as lead guitarist?
he has the chops..

Icecold

Reaction score
Attila has the chops, but there is no way you can put him in the position to write the next Nevermore album.

Nevermore losing Jeff Loomis is like the Rolling Stones losing Keith Richards, or Aerosmith losing Joe Perry, anyone else would just feel like a scab.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score

lol? joke post?

you have heard of Blotted Science before, right? featuring Jarzombek and Alex Webster. If you haven't, you pretty much owe it to yourself to check it out.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
While of course DHIADW was the album that first used 7 string guitars, I feel like it's actually Enemies of Reality and This Godless Endeavor that really opened up to the world more possibilities with the 7 string.
Sounds weird, but it just seems by the time they got to Enemies of Reality, Jeff was feeling more comfortable with the 7 string and really showed off more of what it could do, while DHIADW was more kinda showing the beginnings of what he would be doing with it.

I really like Enemies of Reality, it's a blast, but it's a guilty pleasure kinda album, the songwriting is utterly chaotic.

Espaul

Reaction score
It's weird how much attention this gets. over 12000 views on this thread. I mean I like Nevermore, but half of my friends haven't even heard of Nevermore(except what I've shown, but they forget). Is it just that this forum generally are more fond of them or is that my friends aren't like the general metal-listener?

(oh, they listen to a lot of weird stuff, so they aren't a bunch of emo fourteen-year-olds listening to Avenged sevenfold, no offence)

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
It's weird how much attention this gets. over 12000 views on this thread. I mean I like Nevermore, but half of my friends haven't even heard of Nevermore(except what I've shown, but they forget). Is it just that this forum generally are more fond of them or is that my friends aren't like the general metal-listener?

(oh, they listen to a lot of weird stuff, so they aren't a bunch of emo fourteen-year-olds listening to Avenged sevenfold, no offence)

I think it's simply a case of this being the premier sevenstring forum, there will be a lot of kids that got into sevens because of Loomis.

troyguitar

Reaction score

Nevermore has a small niche. They're too heavy for most classic/power metal fans and too 'gay' for most modern/death metal fans.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Nevermore has a small niche. They're too heavy for most classic/power metal fans and too 'gay' for most modern/death metal fans.

Considering the last album did pretty well on the US Billboard charts, I'd hardly say they are 'too gay' for most modern/death metal fans. Seems like they have actually have quite a bit of fans among the modern metal fans, far from being a niche band. Considering how many metal bands exist, Nevermore are a relatively big name in metal.

Anyway, aside from the first album which has some power metal elements, the band isn't really a power metal band, they've mostly been a thrash/groove metal oriented band, so they would appeal to fans of that style anyway.
I frequently see people wearing Nevermore shirts in the city center, and it seems a decent sized serious metal fans that actually pay attention to metal beyond that autotuned to hell metalcore band they saw on some pay tv music channel or what their sheep friends told them about, seem to be quite aware of their existence even if they aren't necessarily a fan

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
I actually agree with both of you, some may say I am feeling... Ambivalent.

:lol:

I know, right? Feels like this argument has been going forever as Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday...

troyguitar

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to say that they are not big - more like they aren't HUGE. They're decently big but would never get to the level of a Slipknot/whoeverthefuckkidslike in North America without moving to screaming/growling and less "operatic" clean singing. Hell - how many people even here say that they like the band except for the vocals?

Guitarman700

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to say that they are not big - more like they aren't HUGE. They're decently big but would never get to the level of a Slipknot/whoeverthefuckkidslike in North America without moving to screaming/growling and less "operatic" clean singing. Hell - how many people even here say that they like the band except for the vocals?

I like the band BECAUSE of the vocals. Warrel is a personal hero of mine. The man is a lyrical word-smith with few peers.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I like the band BECAUSE of the vocals. Warrel is a personal hero of mine. The man is a lyrical word-smith with few peers.

I do too (though mainly his singing, I couldn't care less about the lyrics), I was trying to convey popular opinion though - there is no popular modern metal band with "80s" singing today. It doesn't sell as well as the angry sound of a Slipknot/Killswitch/whatever in this country.

Guitarman700

Reaction score
I do too (though mainly his singing, I couldn't care less about the lyrics), I was trying to convey popular opinion though - there is no popular modern metal band with "80s" singing today. It doesn't sell as well as the angry sound of a Slipknot/Killswitch/whatever in this country.

:agreed:

')