Jeff Loomis Tone?

• Thread starter Mcneilio190
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there, i was wondering if anyone knows what rig Jeff Loomis uses to achieve his amazing tone on Zero Order Phase?? it seems different than what it does in Nevermore somehow (perhaps due to it being solely him i suppose) and i was wondering what Amp he used, effects pedals etc???

I know he uses his signature seven string and from what iv read he also uses engl amps but other than that i am none the wiser? could anyone help me with this please?

I know im a beginner and have no where near the technical ability that is required to play such material but everybdy needs inspiration and i believe if i could achieve that tone i would be more determined than ever to achieve my goals. Thank you for your time guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
1) Be Jeff Loomis
2) Active Pickups
3) TS-808
4) Egnl amplifier
5) Be Jeff Loomis

Joking aside, I read an interview once where he said he didn't worry too much over particular amp settings...basically just fiddles with it until he finds what sounds good to him and runs with it.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^ I do something similar actually. Every time I pick up a guitar I EQ it ever so slightly different. I could leave the knobs in the exact same place I had them last time and for some reason *today* they don't sound right so I fiddle with them until it does again. :shrug:

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
^ I do something similar actually. Every time I pick up a guitar I EQ it ever so slightly different. I could leave the knobs in the exact same place I had them last time and for some reason *today* they don't sound right so I fiddle with them until it does again. :shrug:
I thought this was all guitar players that give a shit about what they sound like?

Reaction score
Yeah i'l be sure to defo look into points 1 and 5 you mentioned, could be a vitalk component in the machine! haha! Thanks for the replies, why the hell does his rig have to be so damn costly! damn you Loomis and your engl amps! lol.

I honestly dont mind paying the money for good quality gear though, would the same tone be achievable if the same amp, pedals etc were played through an Ibanez Universe with EMG's?

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
Well to be perfectly frank, he didn't get into ENGL unti recently, I've heard. I know I've seen him in front of Krank, Mesa, Randall, etc at various points...of course it could all have been due to what was available at the time.

I know for sure in the past that he has endorsed Peavey and Krank.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
pretty sure dream neon black was a mesa and an axtra guitar. loomis though is one of those guys where 80 percent of his tone is in his beastly picking hand.

Reaction score
How is the neck on a Loomis?? from what im reading its a big brute of a neck which is kinda worrying as while i dont have small hands at all i have the weird combination of a big palm and shorter fingers, middle finger is maybe only 3.5inches long :( would i be better with something like a Universe??

In normal circumstances i would just walk in and try the Loomis but due to rarity in these parts it'l have to be an online purchase im afraid.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
How is the neck on a Loomis?? from what im reading its a big brute of a neck which is kinda worrying as while i dont have small hands at all i have the weird combination of a big palm and shorter fingers, middle finger is maybe only 3.5inches long :( would i be better with something like a Universe??

In normal circumstances i would just walk in and try the Loomis but due to rarity in these parts it'l have to be an online purchase im afraid.

I have similarly proportioned hands, and I'm all about thick and round guitar necks...my custom 7-string that I designed from the ground up actually has a bigger neck than your typical Schecter 7, and I find it quite comfortable :yesway:

Reaction score
Well thats encouraging to hear, you think the Loomis would be suitable despite my hand proprtions then? Now that i think of it despite reviews of the neck being huge most said it was surprisingly comfertable but just needed a few days of adjustment.

It sucks here in the UK, we dont have many elaborate guitar shops that display the higher end models thus taking away the ability to try them out. Basically im down to an online purchase, just weighing up the variables before i commit to anything. More than likely a Loomis or a Universe providing i could swap in EMG's successfully and aquire a similar tone. Your help is appreciated guys.

Deathbringer769

Reaction score
Engl Savage 120 with an Ibanez TS-808 and Marshall 412's.

Well.. not quite. You may seem him with the Savage gigging from time to time but for recording since he got into ENGL he's had a SE e670 that he primarily uses. The overdrive is a Maxon OD808 for sure, he and Andy Sneap swear by those things. The cabs, who knows what he recorded with.. he's all over the place with those things.

As for the OP's question, if you are referring to his Nevermore tone as like on "This Godless Endeavor" being different than the solo album, that can just be explained by the fact that was recorded before he got into ENGLs. The solo album came along as he discovered his love for those beastly amps.

That being said, Loomis is Loomis. In his own words, he's a plug and play kind of guy. He manages to sound like Loomis through a wide variety of setups as long as some basic ingredients are there (tubescreamer, decent gain amp, etc.) His heavy handed and aggressive picking style, combined with EMG 707s, really contributes to his biting sound. Also, NEVER play on the neck pickup if you're Jeff, it's forbidden by his personal code :lol:.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
Well thats encouraging to hear, you think the Loomis would be suitable despite my hand proprtions then? Now that i think of it despite reviews of the neck being huge most said it was surprisingly comfertable but just needed a few days of adjustment.

It sucks here in the UK, we dont have many elaborate guitar shops that display the higher end models thus taking away the ability to try them out. Basically im down to an online purchase, just weighing up the variables before i commit to anything. More than likely a Loomis or a Universe providing i could swap in EMG's successfully and aquire a similar tone. Your help is appreciated guys.

I've never played the Loomis sig, but I loved the neck on the old C-7 Blackjack I used to have (the old model, with the passive Duncans)

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score

Do you live in or near London?

Reaction score
No i live in Glasgow and the guitar shops around here are limited, at least the ones i have knowledge of. Its a bit of a pain to be honest lol. Yeah now that you mention it you notice when he slows his riffs down for videos n stuff it never sounds the same as when he goes crazy and starts playing about 15 notes a second furiously! lol. Tho having the same equipment is a start then its just a matter of progression (over the years) i guess till i can attain some sort of similar standard lol.

How big is the neck compared to say a Universe? Is it much wider or just more fuller thicker feeling?

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
He is also in Bb (Eb) and plays 10's for recording and live 9's, but uses a 65 on the bottom, fuckers tight.

Latest posts

')