Jeff Loomis's Heaviest Moments

• Thread starter neon_black88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neon_black88

Reaction score
Does anyone else think Jeff Loomis was writing much heavier riffs on a six string? The main Poison God Machine riff and the death of passion are so crushingly heavy it makes me want to smash my face on a brick wall :wallbash:. I would have killed to hear those riffs live when they played here. To me when the main riff to poison god machine comes in is nevermores heaviest moment ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mark. A

gang* 4 lyfe
Contributor
Reaction score
It is heavy, but tbh I love the Seven Tongues of God, that is some heavy shiz, especially when the second riff comes in :hbang:

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
I only have Enemies of Reality and This Godless Endeavor :ugh:

I think I need more Nevermore.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
I've only got Enemies of Reality, Dead Heart in a Dead World and This Godless Endeavour, and I think they're all pretty damn heavy. And, more importantly, the songwriting is topnotch.

neon_black88

Reaction score
I highly recomend you buy Dreaming Neon Black, probably there heaviest album. It is very different to their newer stuff, now that ive gone back to it. Not differnt in a bad way at all either. It just might be my favorite nevermore album actually

Reaction score
Um...derrrrrrrr :lol:
Didn't take me long to figure out Dreaming Neon Black was your fave Nevermore album, Sam.

They're all heavy in their own respects, but I think Enemies and Godless are the heaviest. I absolutely love the title track on Godless, and A Future Uncertain is thrashy too. Off of Enemies, I like I, Voyager, Ambivalent, and Create the Infinite. I will go on the record in saying that Beyond Within and Poison Godmachine always get those windmill headbangs out of me :D

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I love Nevermore old and new, but I definitely think their heaviest stuff is their newer stuff. Dreaming Neon Black is melodic, catchy, soothing, etc... but I wouldn't say it's that heavy. Their heaviest moments are in Dead Heart In A Dead World, Enemies of Reality and This Godless Endeavor in my opinion.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say some of their heaviest moments would include: Final Product, My Acid Words, Ambivalent, Narcosynthesis, Inside Four Walls, etc. I do think Dreaming Neon Black is one of their best albums though, probably better than EoR but not quite up there with DHIADW or TGE.

Reaction score
Does anyone else think Jeff Loomis was writing much heavier riffs on a six string? The main Poison God Machine riff and the death of passion are so crushingly heavy it makes me want to smash my face on a brick wall :wallbash:. I would have killed to hear those riffs live when they played here. To me when the main riff to poison god machine comes in is nevermores heaviest moment ever.

Is someone forgetting The fault of the flesh? That is the most bonecrushing and heavy song Nevermore has done. I agree on the point that DnB is their best album. Dont get me wrong, ALL the NM albums are in an own division (next to DT :p). But the heaviset album in my opinion is EoR. :metal: :scream: :metal:

DnB FTW, the perfect album.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Is someone forgetting The fault of the flesh? That is the most bonecrushing and heavy song Nevermore has done. I agree on the point that DnB is their best album. Dont get me wrong, ALL the NM albums are in an own division (next to DT :p). But the heaviset album in my opinion is EoR. :metal: :scream: :metal:

DnB FTW, the perfect album.

+1

No More Will is still my fav Nevermore song of all time.

blindvomit

Fierce!!!
Reaction score
There is no way in hell you guys are leaving The Politics of Ecstasy out of this conversation, great riffage to be found in this album, especially, The Politics of Ecstasy, 42147 and The Learning, genius work....

Reaction score
+1

No More Will is still my fav Nevermore song of all time.

That is so true. No more will is the best song EVER. So emotionally, melodically and "evily" perfect. Just saying that The fault of the flesh is fucking evil...

There is no way in hell you guys are leaving The Politics of Ecstasy out of this conversation, great riffage to be found in this album, especially, The Politics of Ecstasy, 42147 and The Learning, genius work....

I forgot about 42147. GROOVE. I love PoE too. I love every nevermore album. The learning <3... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Choosing a favourite Nevermore record is a hard task, but DHIADW just clinches it. They've always been amazingly heavy be it on 6 strings or 7, but you can hear the progression in the song writing that the leap from the 6 strings of DNB to 7's on DHIADW was absolutely the right move for the band. As for heavy riffs, how about The River Dragon Has Come? A clean into leading into a heavy riff, made all the more heavy by the sweet clean intro, then into a simple riff using lots of pauses to make it sound even heavier still.

I think it's time for me to listen to DNB again.

neon_black88

Reaction score
Hmmmm, my favorite album constantly changes, DNB requires more listens! I would pay for a 100% tab of poison god machine, that main riff is so increadibly awsome. Does anyone know what that strange rakey noise in the pauses to that main riff are? Ive never been able to figure it out.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Without listening to it again I can't be sure, but it might be a harmonic rake. Turn the pick 90degree's so it's vertical with the picking edge still by the strings but allow your thumb to catch them like you would when getting piched harmonics. Rake the strings from high to low over the pole pieces of the neck pickup whilst gently touching a harmonic point on the strings with your fretting hand. You need to move your fretting hand from string to string as you do it though.

Use the bridge pickup and lots of gain. I find it works best at the 5th fret and when you do it very quickly. Morbid Angel use this technique too.

neon_black88

Reaction score
Without listening to it again I can't be sure, but it might be a harmonic rake. Turn the pick 90degree's so it's vertical with the picking edge still by the strings but allow your thumb to catch them like you would when getting piched harmonics. Rake the strings from high to low over the pole pieces of the neck pickup whilst gently touching a harmonic point on the strings with your fretting hand. You need to move your fretting hand from string to string as you do it though.

Use the bridge pickup and lots of gain. I find it works best at the 5th fret and when you do it very quickly. Morbid Angel use this technique too.

I think its a much more subtle technique than that, but ill give it a try :yesway:

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
As I said, I can't say for sure without listening to it again, but that may be it. It still sounds very cool none the less.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I like DNB but before DHIADW they really didn't have that "unique" a sound to them.
when they switched to 7's I think they found their "sound".
POE and DNB are both heavy albums , but I never really got into these guys
until I heard EOR(remixed).
to me that is their "heaviest" album. is it their best?
I don't know , TGE is probably their best, but EOR is probably my favorite, that CD just has nastyass in your face songs on it.
Van kicks ass on that whole cd :hbang:

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Choosing a favourite Nevermore record is a hard task, but DHIADW just clinches it. They've always been amazingly heavy be it on 6 strings or 7, but you can hear the progression in the song writing that the leap from the 6 strings of DNB to 7's on DHIADW was absolutely the right move for the band. As for heavy riffs, how about The River Dragon Has Come? A clean into leading into a heavy riff, made all the more heavy by the sweet clean intro, then into a simple riff using lots of pauses to make it sound even heavier still.

I think it's time for me to listen to DNB again.

While I still like DHIADW, it's their weakest cd IMO, with the fewest heavy tracks and the most filler songs. At the time, I worried that the 7 string had ruined them, and even with it's shit production, EoR was a huge step up in songs.

')