Jeff Loomis's Heaviest Moments

• Thread starter neon_black88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is no way in hell you guys are leaving The Politics of Ecstasy out of this conversation, great riffage to be found in this album, especially, The Politics of Ecstasy, 42147 and The Learning, genius work....

The intro to the title track is probably one of the heaviest things ever recorded. Still my favorite NM album, although I like all of them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
As for 6 strings, their heaviest for me are The fault of the Flesh (main riff), next in line (the whole damn thing), Beyond within (windmill headbang-o-rama), Poison Godmachine (head explodes)...

Nevermore can manage to make anything sound heavy IMO...

Reaction score
I like DNB but before DHIADW they really didn't have that "unique" a sound to them.
when they switched to 7's I think they found their "sound".QUOTE]

WHA? You dont think DnB is unique? WOW... Tell me something that sounds like One of their albums. Before DHIADW Nevermore had this eerie sound. They dont anymore, but they are still as great. :D

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hmmmm, my favorite album constantly changes, DNB requires more listens! I would pay for a 100% tab of poison god machine, that main riff is so increadibly awsome. Does anyone know what that strange rakey noise in the pauses to that main riff are? Ive never been able to figure it out.

Ok, listened to it again. It is the harmonic rake, but it's done very quickly and I don't think they're using all the strings for it. I can't say which fret they're hitting the harmonics from either, or even if it's done with an open string.

While I still like DHIADW, it's their weakest cd IMO, with the fewest heavy tracks and the most filler songs. At the time, I worried that the 7 string had ruined them, and even with it's shit production, EoR was a huge step up in songs.

Each to they're own I suppose dude. I guess it's because there's a lot more melody that I like this album, but I love all their albums. It really is a hard choice.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
No not really.
I can't put my finger on it but DNB and POE don't jump out at me like
all three of the 7 string albums do.
It's not the songwiting, it's the actual "sound" of the CDs.
I'm listening to "Tiananmen Man" right now at work (did I spell that right?) and of course this tune kicks ass,
but it sounds like (and I mean "sounds" like) a thousand other "thrashy" bands
out there. Now I 'm not talking about the actual song I'm talking about the "sound".
Did they switch to Dual rectos from Marshalls or something?
(great fucking solo in this song BTW :hbang: ) (anyone have a tab of this tune?)
Vans drums don't sounds "huge" either. on EOR and TGE the drum tracks really
jump out at you.
maybe it's Sneap??? did they have someone else producing for them before DHIADW?:scratch:
Actually if they never went 7 I don't know if I would've ever really gotten into
them as much as I am now. :rolleyes:
but as it stands now these guys are easily my favorite metal band.

and as far as heavy on 6 string ahh........ "Create the Infinite", "Seed awakening", "the Psalm of Lydia"
those are all drop D I don't know if they're playing them on a 6 or a 7 but you can play them on a 6
and all 3 of those tunes are pretty heavy.

Reaction score
Before Sneap they used Neil Kernon. My favorite album (Warrels favorite too) will always be DnB. Emotionally perfect. EoR is fucking evil though!!!

pyroglyphix

Mostly harmless.
Reaction score
You haven't heard EoR until you've heard Sneap's mix...I strongly recommend it over the original. It was done for a very good reason.

Heaviest moment for me is in the title track: the transition from the intro riff into the main riff about 60 seconds in, where the drums cut and it pans from left to right brings up goose bumps on my arms EVERY time I hear it.

**Edit: The Psalm of Lydia is most definately 7-string: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snTpjKi-quA

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
You haven't heard EoR until you've heard Sneap's mix...I strongly recommend it over the original. It was done for a very good reason.

Heaviest moment for me is in the title track: the transition from the intro riff into the main riff about 60 seconds in, where the drums cut and it pans from left to right brings up goose bumps on my arms EVERY time I hear it.

**Edit: The Psalm of Lydia is most definately 7-string: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snTpjKi-quA

Oh ya I've got the remix it sounds way better.
He's playing the Psalm of Lydia on his 7 but I don't think he's using the
B string at all anywhere :scratch:

don't have any tabs from DNB or POE how were they tuning for that stuff when they palyed 6's?

pyroglyphix

Mostly harmless.
Reaction score
Ya, I realize the song is in Eb and can be done 6-string, I was being cheeky :D

Loomis with a 6-string just seems wrong to me somehow...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Robvai (5 days ago)
HAHAHAHAHAH hes good and all, but he has ,like, NO rhythm! the VERY LAST rhyAthm part in the video is hilarious cuz hes all stiff HAHAHAH

I love YouTube. :lol:

Auslander

Complete Bastard
Reaction score
Hmmmm, my favorite album constantly changes, DNB requires more listens! I would pay for a 100% tab of poison god machine, that main riff is so increadibly awsome. Does anyone know what that strange rakey noise in the pauses to that main riff are? Ive never been able to figure it out.

It's a very fast upward rake done close to the bridge, all part of the picking pattern. I remember talking to Jeff about that when were tracking it, and being blown away by how fast it is. Also, as they alternately appear in different spots in the riff makes it very cool indeed.

Awesome stuff.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
It's a very fast upward rake done close to the bridge, all part of the picking pattern. I remember talking to Jeff about that when were tracking it, and being blown away by how fast it is. Also, as they alternately appear in different spots in the riff makes it very cool indeed.

Awesome stuff.

Having Neil Kernon post = awesome! :D

There's just too many Nevermore riffs to pick for me, every record (well, from Politics onwards) usually has at LEAST a handful of memorable and classic riffs.

Also The Fault of the Flesh for the fucking win. I always wanted to see a tab for this because the slow riff with the harmonics(??) just before the main riff is just EVIL. <3

')