JEM/RG copy parts DIY build x2

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
So with a few months left in this deployment I've gotten anxious without having anything more than a Shredneck and metronome in my hands! Hopefully when I return I'll have a BRJ Slant Top 7 waiting for me and work on my Daemoness build details. Regardless I have two project bodies to work on. I have had an obsession with JEMs and JEM copies, and I always wanted to build my own to my specs and not blow a hole through my wallet. By build I mean slap parts together, as I am no luthier by any means.

I acquired a couple nicely CNC'd bodies off ebay over a year ago. One is slightly carved, the other a JEM copy. Both flamed maple caps (1/4") and mahogany backs, AANJ. I plan on staining both bodies: the RG copy (H-H) will be faded-denim-blue; the JEM copy (H-S-H) I haven't decided. I have a couple book matched flamed maple blanks to practice techniques on for staining, sanding, and finishing. Once I get that down I'm giving these a go!

First up is the H-H body, which will have the f-d-b stain, natural oiled back. The neck is 3 piece maple and purple heart, ebony fretboard, green vine with blue leaf inlay with a yellow rose from the 11-13 frets. I wanted a reversed Parker/Blackmachine/Invictus style headstock and not the traditional Ibanez look. I have yet to see the finished product so I hope it comes out good. Chrome hardware, burnt chrome BKP Miracle Man set. When I get back I'll have to finish the body, install the hardware, and do a setup and hopefully it won't explode on me!

Here's a few older pics I found of what I'm working with. I am sorry for the horrible phone quality; I do have a good camera now and will take better photos when I get back to work on these.

Attachments

• AT pics 23JUN09 042.jpg
    AT pics 23JUN09 042.jpg
    921.3 KB · Views: 70
  • AT pics 23JUN09 043.jpg
    AT pics 23JUN09 043.jpg
    946.1 KB · Views: 61
  • AT pics 23JUN09 045.jpg
    AT pics 23JUN09 045.jpg
    931.9 KB · Views: 45
  • AT pics 23JUN09 047.jpg
    AT pics 23JUN09 047.jpg
    974.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 54

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Thanks! It's not going to be quick but I'm going to give it the time it needs so it's done right. I'm looking forward to seeing what the RG's neck looks like! I gave ideas to the luthier, and it's Blackmachine'ish, but said put his own twist on it. Not trying to make a shameless copy, but the overall design is too cool to me, and I'm probably not getting my hands on a BM anytime soon. The JEM copy is going to get a more traditional neck, but probably with some more exotic woods, possibly no inlays. Still have to come up with a color for the body.

More to come!

Lost of All Reason

I lyka to pleh
Reaction score
Have you considered doing your headstock non-reversed? It's something I haven't seen too much (if any) of with that style, and imo at least I think would look a lot better.

Latest posts

')