Jet City for bedroom use: JCA22H or JCA50H

Durtal

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying one of these to pair with a 1x12 for practising and jamming at home. I was thinking of getting the smaller head in the hope that it would have more easily controllable volume, plus it would be more portable. The price difference is negligible though, so I'm wondering if it's silly not to get the 50.

I'm mostly playing black metal, death doom or old school death metal, but I'm not gigging at the moment.

Any one have any experience of either these who can give their opinion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
check out the amelia instead. still might not be right for those genres tho.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Would it not be able to get there with a tube screamer in front?

Thing is, it's not just about gain, it's also about voicing as well. I've owned a Jet City before, one of the higher gain models, and the voicing simply wasn't there for what you want to do with it.

Durtal

Reaction score
Thing is, it's not just about gain, it's also about voicing as well. I've owned a Jet City before, one of the higher gain models, and the voicing simply wasn't there for what you want to do with it.

So is there nothing in that price range that will work?

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Tell me what the cost of the amp is, and I'll be better suited to help you. Better yet, tell me what you are willing to spend.

Durtal

Reaction score
Tell me what the cost of the amp is, and I'll be better suited to help you. Better yet, tell me what you are willing to spend.

Preferably under £400 for head and cab or a combo. This is mainly for home use, willing to spend more in the future for a gigging amp.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking of buying one of these to pair with a 1x12 for practising and jamming at home. I was thinking of getting the smaller head in the hope that it would have more easily controllable volume, plus it would be more portable. The price difference is negligible though, so I'm wondering if it's silly not to get the 50.

I'm mostly playing black metal, death doom or old school death metal, but I'm not gigging at the moment.

Any one have any experience of either these who can give their opinion?

I believe it was the Marshall Valvestate 8100 that's well regarded as a death metal amp. Since it's not a tube amp, it won't break the bank either.

Durtal

Reaction score
I believe it was the Marshall Valvestate 8100 that's well regarded as a death metal amp. Since it's not a tube amp, it won't break the bank either.

This is a good suggestion, I'd completely forgotten about these. Hopefully I can find one in good condition.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If that doesn't work, look for a peavey XXL. Adjustable wattage, 3 channels, enough gain for anything.

Durtal

Reaction score
If that doesn't work, look for a peavey XXL. Adjustable wattage, 3 channels, enough gain for anything.

Those are pretty rare on this side of the Atlantic but would a Peavey Bandit be almost as good? They're easier to find and this is for home use.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Those are pretty rare on this side of the Atlantic but would a Peavey Bandit be almost as good? They're easier to find and this is for home use.

I don't have any personal experience with them, but I imagine a bandit would get the job done fine.

Shask

Reaction score
What about a Marshall DSL100H? Can't you find those on every street corner for like $5 in England? lol. I would think those would be a good choice.

Shask

Reaction score
Oh, and another suggestion, the Boss Katana. I love that little amp. It is digital, but can sound amazing once you connect it to the computer to tweak. I suggest the head and a 212 cab, but the 100W combo might be OK also. Great for home use, can get real loud, and you can dial in about anything with the software. It has great feel and dynamics for a digital amp. I would take this over an old 8100 or Bandit.

Durtal

Reaction score
Oh, and another suggestion, the Boss Katana. I love that little amp. It is digital, but can sound amazing once you connect it to the computer to tweak. I suggest the head and a 212 cab, but the 100W combo might be OK also. Great for home use, can get real loud, and you can dial in about anything with the software. It has great feel and dynamics for a digital amp. I would take this over an old 8100 or Bandit.

It's irrational but I really dislike modellers, didn't get on at all with the ones I tried (Roland Cube, Yamaha THR, Fender Mustang).

What about a Marshall DSL100H? Can't you find those on every street corner for like $5 in England? lol. I would think those would be a good choice.

Yeah, this what I would buy if I was getting a live rig, but it feels like too much for my tiny bedroom.

Shask

Reaction score
It's irrational but I really dislike modellers, didn't get on at all with the ones I tried (Roland Cube, Yamaha THR, Fender Mustang).

Yeah, this what I would buy if I was getting a live rig, but it feels like too much for my tiny bedroom.
I definitely encourage you to try the Katana. You might be surprised.

For bedroom, any tube amp is going to be too much. There is not going to be much volume difference between a 20W amp and a 100W amp. I used to have a 15W mini rectifier, that really wasn't any quieter than my 150W triple rectifier at low volumes. It just didn't have the same depth.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with the whole "tube amp being too much for a bedroom" They can be if you crank the hell out of them, but you can still get decent tones with tube amps at lower volumes. It might take a minute to do so, but it can be done. A 6505 kind of amp can get pretty good tones at lower volumes, especially since most of the tone that you hear on the record is coming from the preamp, not the power section. Now granted, you can crank these and get really good sound really quick, but it's not necessary.

')