Jet City JCA22H or 2212C, for tight late 80's/early 90's thrash metal?

• Thread starter mnit1965
  • Start date
  • Tags
    jet city
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnit1965

Reaction score
Guys,

I've seen these amps going for a great price, either the head (+ Harley Benton 212 or 112 V30 cab) or the combo version.

I'm really into that late 80's/early 90's era thrash metal kinda sound (like Anthrax, Overkill, Exodus, Forbidden, Vio-Lence), that tight palm muted metal sound.

Would you think these amps would be a good bet?

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
If you like Marshally crunchy metal, then these are a fantastic bet. :yesway:

Unless you're regularly playing bars and traveling to gigs on public transportation, I'd go for the 22H head and grab a separate cab.

mnit1965

Reaction score
Yes they are very good I'd go head and the 2x12

Cool!

For reference, I'm talking about this kinda metal sound:
- Anthrax - Among The Living
- Exodus - Fabulous Disaster / Impact Is Imminent
- Overkill - Horroscope
- Heathen - Victims of Deception
- Testament - Practice What You Preach
- Mortal Sin - Face of Despair
- etc...

You know, this tight palm muted stuff, nothing modern sounding.

So if this amp can deliver a tone similar to these without a boost, woulb be cool. For the price these are going for, it's almost "impossible" not to buy one :hbang:

beneharris

Reaction score
You boost the overdrive channel, and the amp rips. Super tight. I love mine, in fact, I have a 20, and a 22h

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The Soldano sound is perfect for that, so I'd jump on that. An OD of sorts will possibly help even more, but I'm pretty sure it'll get there on it's own.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
I have the JCA20H, and they are fantastic amps. They have enough gain to do what you want for sure, and if you put the right overdrive in front of it it can absolutely roar :yesway:

Without a boost it'll get you there, but it'll be tighter with a boost. And $50 spent more can get you a decent TS9 wannabe (Say, digitech bad monkey), or a Boss DS-1 (Which I also use in front of it).

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
I was considering getting one of these. I'm more than sure from the clips I've heard that with an SD-1 it'll be enough to do what I want.

Promit

Reaction score
You may need a boost up front just to tighten things up - your classic tubescreamer clean boost for example. It doesn't need more gain, the circuit has tons of it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Oh yeah, for the tight, chugging sound, you're gonna need an OD of sorts. All the bands you listed used one, that I know of. I know Gary Holt still uses one, even though he's using one of Marshall's higher-gain heads.

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
Also, I was wondering. if I'm going to get this I'd probably get a 1x12 cab with it but what would sound good with it and not cost too much? I like V30s but most V30 1x12s ive seen are a bit too much and I've heard some bad thanks about V30s in 1x12s. I could go with the stock JCA 112 cab but I haven't heard great things about those either.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, I love 1x12 V30 cabs. They're tight, and I love V30s. I had a 2x12, and my dad got a 1x12. When we A/B'd them, the 2x12 sounded a bit bigger and fatter, but that's not necessarily good or bad, and shouldn't make much of a difference if you're close-miking it.

I'd get an Avatar 1x12 with a V30 if it's in your budget. :yesway:

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
Honestly, I love 1x12 V30 cabs. They're tight, and I love V30s. I had a 2x12, and my dad got a 1x12. When we A/B'd them, the 2x12 sounded a bit bigger and fatter, but that's not necessarily good or bad, and shouldn't make much of a difference if you're close-miking it.

I'd get an Avatar 1x12 with a V30 if it's in your budget. :yesway:

Yeah, I heard great things about those but 350 or so including shipping kinda puts me off. I'd rather get a cab as cheap as I could and maybe a bigger one for playing live if I'd ever need it but for home I'd probably want a 112.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Tau, if it helps, I'm pretty sure Chris DeGarmo recorded Empire with 1x12 speakers. :agreed:

Also, check out the Genz Benz G-flex cab. They're ported 2x12s that sound massive and cab be found used for cheap.

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
Tau, if it helps, I'm pretty sure Chris DeGarmo recorded Empire with 1x12 speakers. :agreed:

Also, check out the Genz Benz G-flex cab. They're ported 2x12s that sound massive and cab be found used for cheap.
:) and im pretty sure he used soldanos for Empire, too. Im just afraid a 212 is too loud for my apartment.
e; my ideal tone is RFOish though Empire's was nice and smooth as hell.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
$279 for a 1x12 as solidly built as Avatar's is a great idea, and come with fantastic industry-standard speakers.

mnit1965

Reaction score
Guys, thank you all for the input! It seems that his JCA22 will be a good bet.

Meanwhile, I've seen on a local auction site the following amps at a great price:
- Peavey 6505+ combo (1x12)
- Marshall Valvestate 8100 head

I know these are completely different animals (solidstate vs tubes, combo vs head) but do you think the Marshall 8100 will do that kind of metal tones? And the Peavey 6505+? Or is it "too modern" sounding?

Thanks!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The Valvestate will get it no problem, but have you considered the Randall Diavlo. Is was made to get that insanely tight, clear thrash metal sound.

mnit1965

Reaction score
The Valvestate will get it no problem, but have you considered the Randall Diavlo. Is was made to get that insanely tight, clear thrash metal sound.

Wow! For some stupid reason I never remember Randall, these Diavlo series shure sound awesome! Just a sample i found:

http://youtu.be/rNm-QvyQv4Y

But i can get the Valvestate 8100 for 150 Euros... And if it can get me that early 90's thrash metal territory, I think it will be a good buy, i still need to buy a cab (thinking the Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage) to go with it...

Kreml

Reaction score
But i can get the Valvestate 8100 for 150 Euros... And if it can get me that early 90's thrash metal territory, I think it will be a good buy, i still need to buy a cab (thinking the Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage) to go with it...

The old Valvestates are great, and will get you the old metal tone your talking about, bands like Suffocation, Death, Illdisposed and Slow Death Factory swore to these amps for years.

I still use my old 8200 with my oversized ENGL 4x12 sometimes, and it still sounds great, but its an old amp, and they were made with poor quality components, so alot of Valvestates scratches when turning knobs, and give out a loud "PLOOF" sound when turned on, so its definetly something you need to check when trying it out

')