Jim Root Tele pickup ring

Reinholderx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Might be a bit of a left field question, but I'm trying to find a replacement pickup ring for my Jim Root tele that's plain white. Everywhere I look there are all black or cream colored, but not plain white. The one that I did find had mounting holes that didn't line up. Driving me mad, does anyone know of where I could find one (I've tried stewmac, wdmusic etc).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reinholderx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I may be an idiot. The ones I had bought that didn't fit have the mounting holes closer to 90mm which I'd stupidly assumed must have been normal. It's been a long week. Those you linked actually look like the right measurements.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
There is a lot more to pickup rings than I thought. I always thought they were one size with the only variations being tall, short, angled, flat, or curved bottom. Apparently that would be too easy.

Reinholderx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There is a lot more to pickup rings than I thought. I always thought they were one size with the only variations being tall, short, angled, flat, or curved bottom. Apparently that would be too easy.

I know! The one I ordered previously looked perfect, I had no idea the mounting holes were spaced differently. Live and learn I guess :p

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score

I feel this reply. One time, the bridge pickup ring cracked on my Goldtop, so I bought a replacement set without checking the exact dimensions... Didn't fit and I didn't want to wait another two weeks for the mail. Needless to say, ten years later that crazy glue I applied on the original pickup ring is still holding up. (Knock on wood *knocks mahogany back of said Les Paul) I think I'll order a metal pickup ring that matches the hardware next time.

mistertyler

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, man. I’m in the same boat you were in. I’m whiting out my Jim Root Tele and mistakenly bought a white pickup ring off Reverb that didn’t fit. Did you end up finding one that worked out?

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Wouldn't be terribly difficult to fill and re drill holes if you have rings you like and that's the only issue.

Reinholderx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, man. I’m in the same boat you were in. I’m whiting out my Jim Root Tele and mistakenly bought a white pickup ring off Reverb that didn’t fit. Did you end up finding one that worked out?

I ended up finding a set of rings that were the right size in terms of the holes but they were angled. I ended up taking the ring mean for the neck. It was one of those rings that was thicker on one side that the other but still had a flat bottom so i really just had to slowly sand it down till it was even. Can't actually tell that is what I did just but looking at them so I'd say it was a success. To be honest I ordered about 3-4 from different places before I got ones that lined up. I'm pretty sure it was actually the neck ring of this set I ended up using:
https://www.realparts.com.au/hardwa...ckup-mounting-ring-set-flat-bottom-white.html

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Another thing you can do is buy angled and mill the backside flat, worked for me.

')