JJ E34Ls..tell me bout them

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I hear that when it comes to aggression, the E34L is the way to go for power tubes. Anyone have any experience with them (tonally..not the "JJs are evil/unreliable" stuff)? Currently I got KT90s in the DTX and I don't think anything else will do anymore, but I recently tried some EL34s and it took me back to the good ol' days of when I first had the amp. I'd like some aggression in the power section, so if E34Ls can do it, I just might try.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
No more kt88's?

KT90s >KT88s

I think I found the tube I'm most happy with, but I wanted to try out those E34Ls due to them being more aggressive. Nothing matches the "girth" of the KT90, and in my Peavey it's what I prefer but I'm just curious. I know I'll be losing that massive sound when I go back to an EL variant, just wanna know the opinions of others

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
All I know is they're super EL34's, and have really exaggerated EL34 characteristics, they're a little tighter though. I also know that Peaveys hate them, as it burns the crap of their screen grid resistors.

Reaction score
All I know is they're super EL34's, and have really exaggerated EL34 characteristics, they're a little tighter though. I also know that Peaveys hate them, as it burns the crap of their screen grid resistors.

Yeah, that problem has been fixed since Peavy upgraded their SGRs

Dvaienat

Reaction score
They're sort of like a tigher, more agressive EL34. Exactly what you're looking for, so I'd say go for it.

Have you considered KT77s? Those are exactly like a KT88/KT90, but EL34 style.

Reaction score
They're sort of like a tigher, more agressive EL34. Exactly what you're looking for, so I'd say go for it.

Have you considered KT77s? Those are exactly like a KT88/KT90, but EL34 style.

I have a quad of KT77s. They don't have the mids of the EL34, and they certainly aren't as aggressive as the E34Ls. In terms of KTs, the 77 is the "kid" of the bunch in terms on tonal girth. They are nice but they don't compare to my KT90s.

I certainly don't think I'll find a better tube than what I have now, I just felt like experimenting a bit.

Benzesp

Banned
Reaction score
running jj el34s in my triple recto 2ch. super tight and aggressive. less boom than 6l6s. does not fundamentally change the recto tone just adds some upper mid bark and rolls off the sub-lows a bit. I'm sold on them.

Dvaienat

Reaction score
I have a quad of KT77s. They don't have the mids of the EL34, and they certainly aren't as aggressive as the E34Ls. In terms of KTs, the 77 is the "kid" of the bunch in terms on tonal girth. They are nice but they don't compare to my KT90s.

I certainly don't think I'll find a better tube than what I have now, I just felt like experimenting a bit.

I'd definitely go with the E34Ls then, for experimentation :yesway:

Shadowspecced

Reaction score
I have E34L's in my Dual Rectifier, and in my Cornford, they sound awesome in both, and are pretty much exactly what you're looking for! They last long as far as my experience can tell me, I'd say go for it

evilsaint

Reaction score
I have E34Ls in my ENGL Invader. I'm not EL34 guy, but E34L did impress me a lot.
They have more bottom end than typical EL34s in my ears.

AzzMan

Reaction score
Switched from Ruby EL34Bs to JJ E34Ls in my Orange Rocker. That plus setting changes and a boost, and it went from growly heavy rock/hardcore to power tube sag metal/metalcore. Great change, they're very good tubes and not at all unreliable.

fretninjadave

Seven String Samurai
Reaction score
I used JJe34l's for years but then I tried a set of JJ KT77's and they blew the e34l's away Its all the raw power of the e34l but with the lowend of a 6l6gc
E34l's are still great tubes tho. Im sure you'll dig them.:hbang:

')