Joe Satriani

• Thread starter gdbjr21
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gdbjr21

Reaction score
I Don't know if anyone posted this yet?
Joe Satriani to release a DVD/CD. Due OCT 31.
Filmed during this years Super Colossal Tour.:yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Cool. I had a blast seeing him live w/EJ last April at Berklee in Boston, he totally dominated and it was a great setlist, I thought some of his new stuff of Super Colossal was alright but even better that he did alot of his old classic tunes as well. Both my favorite guitarists in one show and it was awesome. :yesway:

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
Satriani is my idol. i think that, of any guitar player on earth, past or present (or future?), if i could study under anybody, i'd study under him.

[/random Satch praise]

i'll be getting this, of course :D

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm mixed. I haven't liked his latest studio offerings, and frankly I'd rather NOT have a live DVD where he, for instance, plays the title track.

However, he's reworked some of his older shit, and I'd LOVE to have a good recording of that.

I might pick it up, but I'm more excited about, say, the new Porcupine Tree DVD out Monday (which I could have grabbed last night at the show if I had the cash on me. :mad:)

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
1988-1998 Satriani - best guitarist ever

1999-present Satriani - I think I'll go listen to Soilwork :yesway:

However, IMO Satriani's live in San Francisco DVD is the best music DVD ever made.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I can't remewmber, Vince, was Crystal Planet '98?

There's some brilliant stuff on the last half of "Engines..." and his "Until We Say Goodbye" solo is one of his best, IMO. With that one caveat, I agree - "Super Collossal" was the first albvum of his that I'd heard and really legitimately thought I had a shot of releasing something as good, and it absolutely fucking KILLS me to say that about one of my idols and the guy who's probably my single greatest influence.

The songwriting's just not there anymore, and while his live show shows he can still play, his CD's just don't have that edge to them anymore.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Drew said:
I might pick it up, but I'm more excited about, say, the new Porcupine Tree DVD out Monday (which I could have grabbed last night at the show if I had the cash on me. :mad:)

Are you fucking kidding me? A PT DVD? OMG, I need to get that. Someone needs to get Steve Wilson a friggin' 7 string. That'd be deemed true in all conceivable ways.

BTW, how was the show?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Are you fucking kidding me? A PT DVD? OMG, I need to get that. Someone needs to get Steve Wilson a friggin' 7 string. That'd be deemed true in all conceivable ways.

BTW, how was the show?

Oct 9th. I'd have bought it last night, but I was like $5 short.

They kicked ass - they did two sets of maybe 45 minutes each. The second was PT doing their normal live set (Wilson had a bit of a head cold so the vocals suffered a little, but not badly), but the first was a set of all-new material that they're going to be recording as soon as the tour finishes up. The vocal lines sound like early PT which I'm not entirely sure is a good thing - very repetitive vocal melodies, but hopefully they'll vary it up a bit as they get to know the songs better and get into pre-production - and while I couldn't suss out the majority of the lyrics, I'm guessing we're looking at a concept album about the growing role of media in modern life.

That said, would you believe that Porcupine Tree has gotten SERIOUSLY heavy? Like, we're not quite talking Opeth riffing yet, but there were a few moments that wouldn't have been out of place on Blackwater Park. I'm completely fired up that there's going to be a new album within the enxt three or four months. Some crushing moments, some nice polyrhythmic stuff, offset by their ususal tranced-out breakdowns. :yesway:

I'll post a full review shortly. I'd have loved to get a chance to go down to the in-store appearance at Newbury Comics today and meet the guy - chat with him a bit about production (I love the fact he's into Tom Waits) and ask him if he's ever considered grabbing a seven, and put a bit of pressure on the dude. :D

Freddie

aka zEr0
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
1988-1998 Satriani - best guitarist ever

1999-present Satriani - I think I'll go listen to Soilwork :yesway:

However, IMO Satriani's live in San Francisco DVD is the best music DVD ever made.

+1 I really don't like whatever Satch is up to now but his old stuff is the best instrumental rock EVER. And L@SF changed my whole way of thinking about guitar playing.

Thank you JOE!!! :yesway:

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew said:
Oct 9th. I'd have bought it last night, but I was like $5 short.

Damn dude, I would have loaned you the cash....

Drew said:
I'm guessing we're looking at a concept album about the growing role of media in modern life.

Sounds about right. I'm loving the more polyrhythmic stuff - can't wait to hear what the new album sounds like. Should be out next spring, I guess?

')