John 5 Telecaster

Ntbillie

Reaction score
Well I've been an Ibanez Player for more then 2 Years now. And I really love the instrument. And I recently saw some Jim Root and John 5 videos. And I've fallen in Love with the Tone of those instruments. I'm kinda low on Cash. So I'm planning to buy the Squier John 5 Model. The tone is perfect. But the model isn't available here, So I'll have to order one. That means I can't try it before buying. Soo can anybody tell Me how Fender Squier models compare to Ibanez..?! In Quality and specially the Neck profile. 'Cause Ibanez have these really thin necks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
You will have to tell us which Ibanez you play for us to give you a fair comparison. Squier make budget class instruments, which are pretty good value for money but against say, a Prestige Ibanez you will see a world of difference between them. If you play a cheaper Ibanez however, like an RG from the GIO range, you will not notice such a difference.

Ibanez do make some of the thinnest and comfiest necks around, I would expect the neck to be a bit fatter and rounder than what you are used to, but probably not uncomfortable. Fender neck profiles tend to fit the hand quite well.

Ntbillie

Reaction score
Well Brother in my case it's really simple. It's like comparing a Mick Thomson Signature MTM-2 (Not the 1, The 2. Which has the Duncan Hb105 Pickups) to a Jim Root Signature Telecaster. Though I'm not a fan of Emg's. I've really been attracted to the Design of those guitars. Soo I might swap those Emgs with Seymour Duncans..But I've played alotta Ibanez so I know about their Quality. On the other hand I have no idea about Fender and Squier's..

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The quality can be a little hit or miss on the Squires, but overall they're pretty solid. Even a few years ago most would have told you to steer clear of them, but they've really improved in the last few years.

As far as the guitars themselves, expect the J5 Tele's neck to be thicker, rounder, and with a rounder radius on the fretboard. The frets will be a tad smaller as well. Upper fret access will be a little more restricted, but since the Tele has fewer frets, you're able to get to the top ones pretty easily. Overall, the Tele is essentially the antithesis to the Ibanez's design. It's not a bad thing, but get ready to have to adjust to a very different instruments.

For what it's worth I've only played the Fender variations of John5's guitars, the Triple Deluxe and his old Bigsby model. I'd assume the necks would be very similar across all of his signature models, including the Squire.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Well Brother in my case it's really simple. It's like comparing a Mick Thomson Signature MTM-2 (Not the 1, The 2. Which has the Duncan Hb105 Pickups) to a Jim Root Signature Telecaster. Though I'm not a fan of Emg's. I've really been attracted to the Design of those guitars. Soo I might swap those Emgs with Seymour Duncans..But I've played alotta Ibanez so I know about their Quality. On the other hand I have no idea about Fender and Squier's..

The Jim Root Telecaster is an excellent guitar, but the neck is a lot thicker than the neck of an Ibanez MTM2. You can still shred on it, but it's not as quick a neck imo as the MTM2. It feels like a very tough, well made guitar, but keep in mind the neck will be somewhat fatter than you are used to.

soliloquy

Reaction score
i have no opinions on this, but just wanna welcome my pakistani fellow!
though i never lived there, i am pakistani too :)

Desi

You can't handle me!
Reaction score
Ah yes, the J5 Telecaster. I believe I can be of help with that one.

I own a "made in Mexico" J5 Tele, not the triple.

I am not sure as to how hit or miss the quality on these instruments are nowadays, but I purchased mine used earlier this year..and I also believe this particular model was discontinued in favor for the triple tele while leaving the default design to Squier.

My Tele in particular is built like a TANK! Possibly the most solid guitar I have ever owned. If the neck is a big concern for you, well let me tell you that the Tele neck is beefy. The J5 in particular is a 60s C shape (if you're not familiar with that term, then see if you can find a guitar shop that sells strats or teles that are equipped with said neck shape). But to describe the shape, I'd say it's quite round and fits into the hand quite well (ideal if you already have medium to large hands).

The fretboard has a radius. A feature that is absent on most Ibanez guitars. 12" radius to be exact.

I must warn you, the toggle switch/pick-up configuration is reversed, meaning that the top position on the toggle engages the bridge pick up as opposed to the neck. I'm assuming the Squier J5 Tele still has the configuration set up this way.

The volume controls (there is no tone knob) are reversed as well. Volume knob closest to the bridge controls the neck pick up and vice versa.

All in all, I have no experience with the Squier version of this model, but I have heard LOTS of great things about it. Apparently it's one of Squier's best models period. In terms of build quality and all.

The pick ups on the Squier version are a bit hit or miss from the reviews I read...either way, those can always be switched for pick ups that suit you better. :idea:

On a different note, I wish these came in left handed models. :wallbash:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
If you're after a guitar that sounds like John 5's on a budget, a Squier John 5 model might not necessarily be the way to go, especially if you're used to the feel of Ibanez guitars. A quick Google search shows that the Fender version is made of ash, while the Squier version is made of alder. Assuming the Fender version has basically the same specs as the ones John 5 uses himself, you might be better off getting an ash bodied guitar with humbuckers and a neck contour that you'd be more comfortable with. The pickups might need to be changed to get it closer to where you want it to be, but the same can be said about the Squier.

That said, though, a lot of Squiers end up being pretty solid guitars. Either way, just don't expect your whole rig to start sounding like John 5's.

Ntbillie

Reaction score
Haha Omg such huge feedback. Okay well firsts first.

@Soliloguy: THANKYOU mann. =p Good to know there are other Pakistani fellows here aswell. And I can see You live in Toronto. Funny because I'm actually moving to Toronto next year to study there. =D Soo it's really nice to Meet You.

@Desi: Thanks for the amazing feedback mann. Your reply is the best one here. It really helped Me. Because for Me the biggest issue was the Neck. And the quality, ofcourse. Because I've been an Ibanez player I can rely on their Quality. Just a quick mention. I have a Rg7321 and a Ibanez Gio. Anyways. Having said that. I'm going to take a risk and just buy the John 5 Squier. I've read a few reviews and the guitars have got a nice word out there. OH AND BY THE WAY. =D I'm also Left handed. But in my case..I play a Right Handed guitar. Mainly because I always knew that Left Handed guitars cost more plus the models I like were not available for Lefties. So it felt more natural to play a guitar right handed. (Like Jim Root..) and the weird thing is when I used to learn guitar. (Which I only did for 2-3 weeks..) I learned on a left handed acoustic. Soo switching to a right handed guitar took some time. And for the John 5 Tele. The 2 Volume switches are a BONUS..! They add the Killswitch effect that Buckethead uses alot. And I always wanted that.

@TomAwesome: Thanks for the advice here Bro. No actually I'm NOT looking for a John 5 Tone or SOund at all. I just wanted a nice Telecaster. Because I just fell in love with their overall shape of those guitars. So the John-5 Model just felt right to start with..for the Price.

ESP_0bsessed

Reaction score
Every squier i have ever played has played like a dream, hell i even pick up my squier stratocaster up over my ESP NT7 somedays!
it sounds amazingly good for a guitar of the price range, and everytime i pop down to dawsons, they sound and play awesome regardless of the price, just do it man, and enjoy it!

MatthewK

Reaction score
I've heard really good things about the Squier classic vibe series. If I was in the market for a Fender I would definitely give them serious consideration. I think down the road you'd be happier having a "real" tele than one loaded up with humbuckers that probably wouldn't sound all too different from your ibanez.

Enselmis

Reaction score
I've got no comment on the Squier version, but the Fender John 5 I tried is one of the guitars I've always regretted not buying.

I played a used one at L&M once and it was absolutely fantastic. One of the best guitars I've ever played. I didn't pick it up when I had the chance and it disappeared, only to show up again a year later in a different shop! It played even better the second time but I just couldn't drop the 700$ on it, and I haven't seen it since.

If it ever came back I would not hesitate. It was one of those tele's that had "it", or at least that particular one did.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
The Squier J5 Telecaster is the only tele I have ever wanted. I just have such an intense desire to own one of those for some unknown reason. :scratch:

Lightning91

Reaction score
mod edit: don't try to sell stuff outside the classifieds.... either list it (after you get some posts on here) or PM the guy