John Carpenter is releasing his first album at age 66!

Leaper

Transient
Reaction score
New album drops April 15th followed by a tour.

John Carpenter Releases First “LOST THEMES II” Track, New Tour Dates | FANGORIA®

Tour Dates
June 2, 2016: Barcelona, ES – Primavera Sound
June 15, 2016: Portland, OR – Arlene Schnitzer
June 17, 2016: Oakland, CA – Fox Theatre
June 18, 2016: Los Angeles, CA – Orpheum
June 21, 2016: Denver, CO – Gothic Theatre
June 23, 2016: Austin, TX -Moody Theatre @ ACL LIVE
June 24, 2016: Dallas, TX – Majestic Theater
July 2-4, 2016: Ásbrú, ISL – ATP Iceland Festival
July 6, 2016: Switzerland, CH – Neuchâtel
July 8, 2016: New York, NY – PlayStation Theater
July 12, 2016: Washington, DC – Lincoln Theatre
July 15, 2016: Detroit, MI – Masonic Temple
Oct 28 & 29, 2016: Manchester, UK – Albert Hall Manchester
Oct 31, 2016: London, UK – The Troxy

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
Huh. People like his music. I always thought his soundtracks were a complete afterthought.

"PAY someone to write and record a score for this movie? Pff, I've got a Korg M1, I can make a soundtrack myself. Easy-peasy. What do I need some fancy composer for?! It'll be fine, no one pays attention to the music anyways. Listen to this neat bell-pad sound! Put a beat with a heavy snare under that and you've got at least 7 minutes of screen time."

That's what it smacked of to me, but maybe I'm completely wrong.

Leaper

Transient
Reaction score
Huh. People like his music. I always thought his soundtracks were a complete afterthought.

"PAY someone to write and record a score for this movie? Pff, I've got a Korg M1, I can make a soundtrack myself. Easy-peasy. What do I need some fancy composer for?! It'll be fine, no one pays attention to the music anyways. Listen to this neat bell-pad sound! Put a beat with a heavy snare under that and you've got at least 7 minutes of screen time."

Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 and Halloween scores were very much last minute efforts and were surely made by him in part to save money, but that only enhances how awesome they are. He could throw together movie scores on a tight budget and time-frame and they still stand the test of time.

Take Halloween for example, the Halloween theme is a top contender for the most recognizable and evocative horror themes in culture despite it being based on a beat he learned to play on bongos as a child. The Halloween theme is okay enough on it's own if you never saw the movie, but after having watched the film you immediately think of that pale faced evil bastard (myers/buckethead) when the theme plays and then the track takes on a new subjective dimension.

The Lost Themes albums, which are a group effort shared with his son and godson, are like soundtracks to films that never got made. The music itself has got enough chops to enjoy on it's own well enough, but it's true magic for me is the nostalgia it incites by bringing me back to the soundscapes that characters like Nada and Snake Plisskin kicked ass to, and the imagination it incites by thinking of what spunky off kilter stories his new tracks could've possibly fit over.

But that's just me.

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score

I understand your opinion, but I thought your reasoning was a complete afterthought. :wavey:

mongey

Reaction score
I saw this thread the other day . I love escape from new York but had completely forgotten about big trouble in little china. don't think I' d seen it for over 25 years

watched it the other night and it is indeed awesome . my wife had never seen it and didn't appreciate it as much as me . she had more fun admiring kurts mullet and jeans

Leaper

Transient
Reaction score
Music video for first track of second album.

')