John Petrucci's new guitar.............

• Thread starter Nick1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
newfinator said:
I actually like basswood, thought it's better with a nice flame or quilt maple top on it.
maybe looks wise, but unless the top is a half inch or more, if you can hear the difference between basswood and basswood with a thin laminated top, you either have far far better ears than me, or suffer the placebo effect.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I dont like his new guitars at all. I think the regular EBMM JP7s are a lot cooler looking. Just my taste.

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score
So can it not be said that in addition to being a fuckin godly awesome guitarist/songwriter, he is also extremely tasteful with his aesthetics unlike certain other guitarists of similar repute...

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
Elysian said:
maybe looks wise, but unless the top is a half inch or more, if you can hear the difference between basswood and basswood with a thin laminated top, you either have far far better ears than me, or suffer the placebo effect.
Yup, I was referring to aesthetics with the maple top.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Elysian said:

At least if the top was 1/2 or 3/4" thick, you'd get some bite and snap out of the thing. Basswood always sounds dull and lifeless to me. And I've owned any number of basswood guitars and heard many more. Dream Theater gets a lot of the high end out of the keyboard, so Petrucci's basswood guitars aren't as much of a liability in that context, but I prefer a bit more presence and attack, myself.

Roundhouse_Kick

Reaction score
Well I don't know about the technical side, but on the new DVD ('score'), he plays a few songs with it and it looks and sounds absolutely killer! If that is the new production model then I will look seriously at getting one!

')