John Petrucci's Tone

• Thread starter JPMDan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which JP guitar had the best tone?

• Total voters

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I think this is mainly me but, I think his tone when he was with Ibanez was alot better to my ears, I'm sure some of you heard him live with both guitars what do you think?

I find his tone with the Ibanez had more clarity and crunch than with the EBMM.

so the 3 guys that voted have nothing to say about it, come on atleast discuss your views.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

steve777

Reaction score
Yeah, I have to go with Ibanez days, as well. I would agree that there was more clarity, especially with the heavy sus and open chord stuff. I mean, you can hear every note of the chord ring out on the stuff off Images, and Awake. That's not to say that you still can't, but it just seems to be lacking that really dominant clarity.

Of course, you have to look at how his pick up changes, and changes in amplification have impacted his tone, as well. The stock pickups in the Ernie Ball guitars were based on the "Steve's Special" but they weren's an exact replica. And as far as the D Sonics go, I have never tried one, but I'm pretty sure they are not a clone of the SS. I'm sure that his amplifiers and pickup selections have played a much bigger role in the change in his tone, as opposed to the guitar itself.

Aesthetically speaking, that is a tough one. I have a Music Man Petrucci, and they are a gorgeous guitar in every way. The craftsmenship is second to none in that price range. However, my preference always has, and always will be Ibanez. They just are the perfect guitar for me and my playing style. Add to that the awesome "Picasso" graphic, and I think I have to give the Ibanez JPM the edge. I think the Ibanez JPM 90th is one of the most gorgeous guitars I have ever seen. Just my two pennies.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Very well said steve, I wasn't aware of any rig changes I know he runs eventide for effects now but he still runs a Mark IIC+ and Triaxis preamps.

Any rig changes you know of?

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Since he's started using Road Kings i find his tone is too boomy and fuzzy. Sounds good on the G3 DVD but on Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulance and the recent album it sounds bad to my ears. I really like his tone on Images And Words. :hbang:

Freddie

aka zEr0
Reaction score
The tone sure has very little to do with what guitar he was using man. It's all about his rig. But I do agree that his tone was better in the Ibanez era...

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Freddie said:
The tone sure has very little to do with what guitar he was using man. It's all about his rig. But I do agree that his tone was better in the Ibanez era...

I was under the impression he didn't change his rig but it's kinda odd he did.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
JPMDan said:
It might be his speakers, what he uses for speakers?

Not too sure but he uses stock Lonestar and Road King cabinets

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
I think it's a natural evolution for John. I prefer his Ibanez tone, I think though with some of the different gear he's got and pickups, that his tone from early would have evolved anyway regardless of what make guitar he was playing.

~A

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
excellent point there allen, Some of DT's songs as well as JP's solo songs I'd like to hear throuch his old gear.

Mark. A

gang* 4 lyfe
Contributor
Reaction score
TOT has probably one of the best solo tones I've ever heard, but his rhythm is very fuzzy.

Awake had the best tone.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
the more i learn about guitar/amp electronics/gear-in-general, the more i realize that there is a rediculous number of factors when it comes to tone. i mean, you've got: picks, picking style, strings, bridge, nut, frets, guitar wood (multiple types?), pot quality ( :lol: ), connection wire, instrument cable, amp characteristics, tube(s), EQ, output impedance, speakers, cabinets, microphones, mic cables, mic preamps, recording devices, media types.... you could go on. or, just ask Eric Johnson :lol:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I really like Petrucci's tone on Suspended Animation alot and I must say his tone on G3 Live in Tokyo is awesome too. When he was playing Ibanez, he had a really nice tone too. I really like his tone on Once In A Livetime but I think his EB JP7 guitar's tone sounds nicer. :yesway:

Leon said:
the more i learn about guitar/amp electronics/gear-in-general, the more i realize that there is a rediculous number of factors when it comes to tone. i mean, you've got: picks, picking style, strings, bridge, nut, frets, guitar wood (multiple types?), pot quality ( :lol: ), connection wire, instrument cable, amp characteristics, tube(s), EQ, output impedance, speakers, cabinets, microphones, mic cables, mic preamps, recording devices, media types.... you could go on. or, just ask Eric Johnson :lol:
Eric Johnson is a perfectionist when it comes to tone but what great tone he has. :agreed:

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Shawn said:
I really like Petrucci's tone on Suspended Animation alot and I must say his tone on G3 Live in Tokyo is awesome too. When he was playing Ibanez, he had a really nice tone too. I really like his tone on Once In A Livetime but I think his EB JP7 guitar's tone sounds nicer. :yesway:

Eric Johnson is a perfectionist when it comes to tone but what great tone he has. :agreed:

yea his JP7 gets an awesome tone I admit but it's mainly the overall tone so 6's are included as well as his rig.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
I like his tone on the G3 Tokyo DVD best.

Suspended Animation is a close second, but the mids on that album are a bit too buzzy. That could be a mic'ing issue, though.

Overall, the tone he's had since switching to EBMM has been meatier to my ears.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
JPMDan said:
yea his JP7 gets an awesome tone I admit but it's mainly the overall tone so 6's are included as well as his rig.
Yeah, his 6 too, that's actually what I meant. I own the G3 Live In Tokyo dvd and that's what he's playing. That guitar sounds fantastic. :agreed:

Skeksis

Closed Eye Visuals
Reaction score
His rythm/lead tone on Ibanez days was definitely better. More articulate, defined and punchy.

')