Johnny Cash - Hurt

• Thread starter includao
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

includao

Banned
Reaction score
After reading a full thread discussing about MTV I still can't believe the fact that Justin Timberlake, someone who nobody will remember for musical deepness/TALENT (or remember at all for that matter) won best music video over Cash. Just goes to show you what the MTV people and its spawned generation is about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9dbmJ_2zU

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
its about whats popular, not talented. ever notice the cover of every guitar magazine these days? when the guitarist from SOAD is on the cover of Guitar Legends, then we've already lost my friend.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Dylan7620 said:
cash's video for hurt gets me all choked up and teary eyed whenever i watch it. this man truly was a legend :(

+1 and a million.

The guy had balls, integrity and intelligence, as well as talent. I have nothing but respect and admiration for him.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Saw 'Walk the Line' for the first time a few nights ago...made me want to go and check out some of his records...

Skeksis

Closed Eye Visuals
Reaction score
Well, at least Timberlake said that Cash deserved the award better than him when he got it, so he's not totally oblivious.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Skeksis said:
Well, at least Timberlake said that Cash deserved the award better than him when he got it, so he's not totally oblivious.
That's a good thing. He knows it's not his fault that the award didn't go to Cash. The video for Hurt makes me weep. Plain and simple. I can only watch it so much. Johnny Cash was a real man. :bowdown:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You know, Johnny Cash is the fuckin' manand all, but am I the only one here who thought Trent Reznor sang it better than he did? Trent's vocal is fucked up, strung together, and agonized; Cash's is full, strong, confident, and powerful. He's got undeniably the better voice, but I don't think his delivery was appropriate for the song.

That said, I grew up on Johnny Cash, love the guy's music, and think he deserves every accolade heaped upon him. :yesway:

Dylan7620

that guy
Reaction score
i dunno drew. i think cash took the song and made it his own. i've listened to the NIN version several times, and even saw it live, that was intense to say the least. but just something about an old man and an acoustic guitar that so very pure and emotional.

Plenty of my NIN friends think the original is still better. but i can't help but see them as almost two different songs.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
Dylan7620 said:
Plenty of my NIN friends think the original is still better. but i can't help but see them as almost two different songs.

yeh thats very true what you said at the end there *EDIT* STUPID ME *EDIT* lol. Anyways, its kind of bullshit that timberlake got the award, but its not his choice, its the idiots that love him and don't respect good music. And how much more is MTV gonna play a Justin timberlake video compared to johnny cashes - hurt. I don't mind Timberlake, he's not a bad singer and he's got some phat music, and i'll credit him for saying he didn't deserve it. Atleast he doesn't have an ego. :hbang:

Makelele

Reaction score
Korbain said:
yeh thats very true what you said at the end there, nothing beats the original, but the NIN version is different enough to make it stand out on its own, and trent managed to keep the power and some of the emotion that johnny put in. Anyways, its kind of bullshit that timberlake got the award, but its not his choice, its the idiots that love him and don't respect good music. And how much more is MTV gonna play a Just timberlake video compared to johnny cashes - hurt. I don't mind Timberlake, he's not a bad singer and he's got some phat music, and i'll credit him for saying he didn't deserve it. Atleast he doesn't have an ego. :hbang:

You do know that the NIN version IS the original?

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
lol was just about to ask that. Coz i just read up on it. Editing now thanks mate :hbang: Ps. if i were trent renzor, i'd be fucking stoked having someone like johnny cash doing a cover of one of my songs! I just watched the Cash video of Hurt, i ain't seen it in a while, its still so sad :( RIP

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Korbain said:
lol was just about to ask that. Coz i just read up on it. Editing now thanks mate :hbang: Ps. if i were trent renzor, i'd be fucking stoked having someone like johnny cash doing a cover of one of my songs! I just watched the Cash video of Hurt, i ain't seen it in a while, its still so sad :( RIP

I also remembered reading something about Trent being speechless and choking up, when he saw the video.

Kinda like what the guy who wrote "Respect" said when Aretha recorded it: "She done took my song!"

On a side note, Aretha = Deemed True.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
Loomer said:
I also remembered reading something about Trent being speechless and choking up, when he saw the video.

I can imagine, gotta love cash for being into NIN at his age too haha. Well that song anyway, theres a great version of it on youtube with Trent Just playing the piano and singing, and he sings it the exact way cash does. Even though cash only changed a few words here n there, but yeh here it is, its alot sadder when its just the singing and an acoustic instrument :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpPSn9ES2No

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
Never watched the video, but I have heard the song...he blows NIN 's version away...it's so powerful when Cash does it.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
This video was part of the course material for my desktop audio/visual class. Pretty incredible the way it was put together, with June walking away and Cash closing the cover on the piano at the end.

I also liked his cover of Rusty Cage, but Hurt was better.

includao

Banned
Reaction score
what Trent Renzor said to Alternative Press:

"I pop the video in, and wow Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps Wow. I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore. It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [Somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning—different, but every bit as pure."

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Korbain said:
I can imagine, gotta love cash for being into NIN at his age too haha. Well that song anyway, theres a great version of it on youtube with Trent Just playing the piano and singing, and he sings it the exact way cash does. Even though cash only changed a few words here n there, but yeh here it is, its alot sadder when its just the singing and an acoustic instrument :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpPSn9ES2No

Actually, Rick Rubin brought the song to Cash, who was initially ambivalent-at-best.

Rick Rubin also very consciously played up the "old man alone with his guitar" vibe, too - it sounds like a stripped down, bare, honest recording, but it's just as calculated- just in a different way.

I just don't think his vocal was really right for that song... Don't get me wrong, it's a great rendition and easily one of the highlights of his recent work, but it's too powerful, too strong, and too vibrant for a song about addiction and the pain it causes others.

If you want to take it as Cash's version is more about recovery than addiction, I'll buy that, but even then I still prefer the NIN version.

I should also mention that I've been a Johnny Cash fan since the age of five or so and I'm not really a NIN fan, so it's not like I'm trying to stick up for a band I like or something - far from it. I just think that Rubin made the wrong call on this track, is all.

')