Johnny Cash - Hurt

• Thread starter includao
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
Drew said:
Actually, Rick Rubin brought the song to Cash, who was initially ambivalent-at-best.

Rick Rubin also very consciously played up the "old man alone with his guitar" vibe, too - it sounds like a stripped down, bare, honest recording, but it's just as calculated- just in a different way.

I just don't think his vocal was really right for that song... Don't get me wrong, it's a great rendition and easily one of the highlights of his recent work, but it's too powerful, too strong, and too vibrant for a song about addiction and the pain it causes others.

If you want to take it as Cash's version is more about recovery than addiction, I'll buy that, but even then I still prefer the NIN version.

Ah ok ok, i didn't know that ay. I love NIN and have all their cd's pretty much, but was basically under the idea that Trent Covered johnny cash, because, well! Its johnny fucking cash! haha. So yeh i was suprised, i think the cash cover of it was great. But its only sad, because your seeing and hearing this old guy who's dying, singing about all his lifes regrets lol. It sounds sadder because he's old and just struggling to sing like he used too which is understandable and i won't take any credit from him because its a great cover. I am agreeing with you drew that the NIN version is better. Though they both have different meanings, the NIN version means more to myself personally than hearing johnny cash, and i remember seeing trent play it live here and the song is just so powerful from beginning to end. Whether its the solo piano and him singing, or the full band version of it. The NIN version is the better for sure, whether you like NIN/industrial or whatever. Even though i can't help feel bad for saying that because cash covered it and he's like a god.

Mamoulian

Reaction score
Dylan7620 said:
cash's video for hurt gets me all choked up and teary eyed whenever i watch it. this man truly was a legend :(

+ 1

The NIN original can´t keep up with his interpretation by lightyears.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
I just don't think his vocal was really right for that song... Don't get me wrong, it's a great rendition and easily one of the highlights of his recent work, but it's too powerful, too strong, and too vibrant for a song about addiction and the pain it causes others.

If you want to take it as Cash's version is more about recovery than addiction, I'll buy that, but even then I still prefer the NIN version.

I completely disagree. Sung by a man who is at the end of his road brings completely new perspective to those lyrics. Sure, his performance still carries the powerful weight that is Johnny Cash, but age has left it weak and cracking. I hear the sound of a man who is barely able to sing, just giving it all he has, and failing to hit the mark...yet it is enough. That weak, tortured voice is absolutely enough, more than enough, exactly what the song needed. The lyrics seem to become about more than drug addiction, as you start thinking about aging just like a drug, stealing people from you, and eventually killing you. It was one of the single most powerful vocal and acoustic guitar performaces I have ever heard in my entire life. I still get goose bumps just thinking about it.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Eh, it's been a while since I've listened to the two of them back-to-back. I'll give it a go tonight, maybe I'm just missing something...

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
i read along with the lyrics to check them out.. apparently, cash replaces 'crown of shit' with 'crown of thorns'.. i like the first one more.. in the context of the song it makes it makes the 'kingdom dirt' of which he speaks seem more filthy than 'thorns' does. other than that, i saw it owns nine inch nails.

')