Joined a band in Drop F tuning

• Thread starter xVinnieCx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xVinnieCx

Reaction score
I joined a band (www.facebook.com/decimustx) and they play in drop f. I'm playing bass, and they have a bass, but sadly I'm a freak and am left handed. I only have a 4 string and it sounds band tuned down. I'm trying to find an inexpensive 5 string bass for under 200. I know that's kinda hard. I have a sans amp, so I don't care it it sounds good or not. I've been told that a 35" scale length will make it sound better tuned down. Any suggestions for me, and any suggestions for what type of strings will be good to use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Epyon6

Reaction score
Go to used.guitarcenter.com type in the search SR305....I just did and there are 9 of them on there for less than $200....you can thank me later....This is a 34 inch scale which is totally find for downtuning, just may need to get heavier gauge strings...well you will even for a 35 inch scale too. I have this bass and its awsome for a "low level" bass, sounds and feels great......And welcome to the forum.:wavey:

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better, you will just need slightly lighter gauge strings to achieve the same tension.

In all honesty, get an SR305 and a new set of strings. Have a competent guitar tech set it up.

ixlramp

Reaction score
35" scale helps but is not essential, also you don't need a 5 string, you can get a 4 string drop tune set for drop F here vStandard Drop-tuned 4 Strings | Page 2 of 2
Just use the CKS tension chart to choose a set that gives you 40 pounds (medium tension) or otherwise in drop F (be sure to exceed 30 pounds / extra light tension).

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Try playing the same octave as them (one octave above drop F). this would mean you can keep slinging your four string and be heard better that down in the sub bass region. tune your E string up one semi-tone and the others up by a minor third and bam ... drop F.
Dick from meshuggah uses the same concept when they play down on the 8th string because that low F can sound pretty meh to some people. Just my :2c:

------------

F - C - F - D tuning

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Rondo may be able to help- Rondo Music Left Handed Bass Guitars | Page 1 of 1

I'd probably just tune the whole bass up a half step, play in their ocative, and use slightly lighter gauge strings. You will be heard better. In such a low tuning there will be so much low end going around anyway that the best way to use your role is probably to be the guy who adds PUNCH and ATTACK to the mix.

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
+1 on tuning on the same octave. It will give the overall guitar tone all the fundamentals and low order harmonics that they're missing, putting some balls into the riffs. Plus a bass in that low F is more feel than sound IMHO.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Unless the music is generally very slow, I would tune to the same octave as suggested like Meshuggah.

I prefer to tune my bass down to F, but I don't use those notes all the time or play fast there. You'd need a 190 gauge from CK.

TheEmptyCell

Dingwall Player
Reaction score
If you don't care how it will sound, then I highly recommend tuning to the same octave F as the guitars. Reason being is because an experience bass player would have a hard time making an F an octave down sound like anything but mud, so an inexperienced one with no care for tone is just gonna sound like fucking shit.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
I suggest getting your current bass setup with some circle k strings and getting a better pre and pups installed If you like your current bass. If you just cant get on with it that well try selling it and getting a Ibanez btb I prefer them to the sr they are abit sturdier Imho and have the 35" scale.

xVinnieCx

Reaction score
I mean, I've been playing for like 14 years now, so I know what I'm doing, but tuning up would be kinda weird sounding to me. I did think about that. I'd think heavy ass strings with on a 5 string will sound decent. I'm planning on cranking the blend on the sans amp. They have a decent bass rig, so the tone will be ok overall.

codycarter

Reaction score
This makes no since, unless you have a short scale bass and pups that generally mud/fuzz out on low tunings.

Look for a longer scale and better pups rather than an extra string

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
It can be done, even with your budget restraints. However, you'll have to get some large strings from Circle K & have the bass set up for it.

Otherwise, I'd say grab a Dingwall Combustion (37" on the lowest string).

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
Unless the music is generally very slow, I would tune to the same octave as suggested like Meshuggah.

I prefer to tune my bass down to F, but I don't use those notes all the time or play fast there. You'd need a 190 gauge from CK.

I use a .174 for my low F, and I think it's perfect. The gauge used depends on one's preference of tension.

TheEmptyCell

Dingwall Player
Reaction score
It's not just about strings if you're going that low, it's also about cabs. A Sansamp isn't gonna do shit to make your sub-bass tone any better. Get yourself a graphic EQ and learn what frequencies are important.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I use a .174 for my low F, and I think it's perfect. The gauge used depends on one's preference of tension.

Sorry, you're right I do usually try and say it's all preference or give a point of reference haha.
190 was suggested to match a 100 E which is standard

JamesRGoodall

Reaction score
What has been said. Thick strings (Circle K) and a good setup. I recommend the .182 or .190 drop tuned set. .182 will be about normal, .190 will be a little tighter, depending on what you like. I run .182 at drop G, and that's a little tight, but I prefer it that way.

Also, tell Jay (guitar) that he has till James (me, bassist from his old band) gets back from school to pay me back, or he'll be taken to court.

Last edited:

GreatWhiteYeti

Reaction score
I play bass. Honestly just tune up. It's a lot easier then getting all these dropped sets. I play my BTB (5 string) tuned up to C instead of B with Extra Light strings. It was the easiest way to keep my rumble going over 3 guitarists.

')