Josh Smith (Northlane) confirms new sig guitar in works

• Thread starter Logan Abbott
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Logan Abbott

Reaction score
Doing an AMA on Instagram and was asked if he was getting one.

he said “it’s going to be a pro series B7, with Bareknuckle pickups, evertune, and will be blue. Start saving now because it won’t be too long.” He also said he has a mock-up and specs approved just waiting on the prototype.

idk bout yall but this is my dream guitar for F/D# area.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Logan Abbott

Reaction score
Haha that was actually my post! I imagine they revisited it and decided to change it. I remember him saying not everyone at the company was on board yet so it was a super basic mock up early in the process.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Oh no shit. Whoops. :lol: Well if they change it, I approve. Gives it a bit more of a unique look. Plus I love how offset guitars hang on a strap.

Masoo2

Reaction score
cmon give us the 29.5 inch scale josh cmon cmon cmon cmonnnnnnnnn

I know it won't happen but I can dream, can't I?

for real though, 27 inch baritone, Evertune, BKP Impulse H + Impulse S, nice blue finish, sounds like a winner to me

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Hopefully he goes with the Modern 4x3 (or 3x4) headstock over that older design. The 6-string version looks wonky as all get-out with the different tuner spacing, but the modern 7 is killer.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Considering Jackson current prices I'd probably get an used USA B7 (which can be had around 1600$) instead, unless you really want an Evertune.

I don't see much B7s around and they are incredible guitars.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Please be an ebony board. I remember the mock up looking like it was roasted maple or some form of rosewood. I really hope that's not the case, as his usa model in seafoam green with the ebony board is absolutely perfect.

Lada The Great

Reaction score
Josh posted this mockup during his IG Q&A. Seems to be going for traditional fender style headstock, pretty cool imo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210801-032705.jpg
    Screenshot_20210801-032705.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 320

noob_pwn

Reaction score
cmon give us the 29.5 inch scale josh cmon cmon cmon cmonnnnnnnnn

I know it won't happen but I can dream, can't I?

for real though, 27 inch baritone, Evertune, BKP Impulse H + Impulse S, nice blue finish, sounds like a winner to me

Yep and it's a pro series. If this one sells well it's likely i can get further models across the line. Ideally I'd love to do a 29.5 next.

noob_pwn

Reaction score
Oh, so it's still gonna be a Soloist shape?
yeah, i've found i preferred that shape. But it's going to have a maple top like a B7, which was why they sounded so good. Same neck shape and a tilt back headstock too.

Full spec I approved is:

pro series / 27" scale / soloist body
3pc roasted maple neck through w/ carbon reinforcement rods
ebony fretboard with luminlay side dots
24 SS frets (narrow/tall)
alder body with 1/4" maple top
BKP impulse bridge/single neck
BKP 550k/280k dual volume
3 way blade switch with inner bridge only in middle
locking tuners
composite nut
San dimas tilted headstock

For now it will only come in my unique faded seafoam colour, based off that B7 i refinished years ago.

Perge

Reaction score
yeah, i've found i preferred that shape. But it's going to have a maple top like a B7, which was why they sounded so good. Same neck shape and a tilt back headstock too.

Full spec I approved is:

pro series / 27" scale / soloist body
3pc roasted maple neck through w/ carbon reinforcement rods
ebony fretboard with luminlay side dots
24 SS frets (narrow/tall)
alder body with 1/4" maple top
BKP impulse bridge/single neck
BKP 550k/280k dual volume
3 way blade switch with inner bridge only in middle
locking tuners
composite nut
San dimas tilted headstock

For now it will only come in my unique faded seafoam colour, based off that B7 i refinished years ago.
Can't say I'll end up with one soon, but those are pretty unique specs given the market. Excited to try one, and hope they do well enough to come in some more stereotypical metal colors down the road.

Reaction score
Yep and it's a pro series. If this one sells well it's likely i can get further models across the line. Ideally I'd love to do a 29.5 next.
I was really hoping for longer than 27”, since I already have a 27” scale seven & there’s so many already on the market. 29.5” would be incredible & I’d throw down cash for that today, but I’m guessing even if this one sells well it would be at least another year before Jackson even considered doing a 29.5” scale. How about a compromise and make the current model a 28.25” scale? It would certainly be different & could carve out its own niche!

RobDobble6S7

Professional shit talker
Reaction score
I was really hoping for longer than 27”, since I already have a 27” scale seven & there’s so many already on the market. 29.5” would be incredible & I’d throw down cash for that today, but I’m guessing even if this one sells well it would be at least another year before Jackson even considered doing a 29.5” scale. How about a compromise and make the current model a 28.25” scale? It would certainly be different & could carve out its own niche!
What people don't seem to understand is that companies will not often take such a risk. 27" guitars are common because manufacturers know that there is a group they can sell to. Even if Josh releases a 29.5" at the pro series level right away, it might not sell well because people rarely encounter guitars that long in the wild. As it is, many people don't like how long 27" is, so that in itself is a risk.

')