Jp 70 sterling vs ibanez Iron Label 7 string vs esp ltd mh 417

• Thread starter jey1307
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jey1307

Reaction score
hi guys wanna get a 7 srting but i cant make up my mind. i live in singapore so the guitars that i want have to be shipped. i can try em out first. which sucks. so i am depending on you guys.

jp 70 sterling vs
ibanez Iron Label RG 7 string vs
esp ltd mh 417

:hbang::hbang::hbang:

thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RustInPeace

Reaction score
I've tried both for about an hour. Id give a slight edge to the JP 70 - it is VERY well built, but needs new pickups. The IR7 I tried came with EMG's (love or hate), but the neck felt rough in places. I think the JP 70 was a bit cheaper too. Also comes down to if you want a hardtail or a trem?

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
You'll need to be a bit more specific as to which Iron Label 7 you're looking at, as there are a few of them.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
I tried an iron label the other day (6 string version) and the fret edges were very sharp to the point of unacceptable. Dont know if thats the case for every IL, but i think the jp has a bit better quality control

TheOrangeChannel

JonOrBattleship
Reaction score
I have a couple of JP70's as well as an IR S7...they're both pretty cool, although I think I edge it towards the JP in terms of the neck carve. You just have to be careful because aesthetically sme of the JP's look bad in that the center block ends up with a diagonal cut. If you can look at pics before hand then your golden, especially if the dealer can play them before shipping and address any high fret issues or whatnot. My S7 was impeccable save for one niggle based on the neck pickup being mounted crooked, but that was a two minute reseat. The JP picks do need replacing. Mine have Duncan Pegasus and Sentients in them. They sound way more expensive than they ended up costing so that's a good thing I guess... I also swapped the PAF7 out in the bridge of the S just because it was sorta muddy and lacking push. A spare D Sonic I had fixed it right quick tho'. I've also got a 1527 and 1527M and lately all I find myself playing are the JP's.

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
sterling without a doubt, Not a fan of the iron label ibbys.

acauseforpatric

Reaction score
I own a JP 70. I really love it. The stock pickups are good for being stock but if any changes needed to be made to this guitar is would be those. I am setting up an Iron Label RG8 right now and the fretwork on it is HORRENDOUS. I don't know how that's acceptable. Some seriously sharp edges on there.

jey1307

Reaction score
hey guys one more question! is the neck on the jp 70 as comfortable as the ibanez wizard necks? or as thin as?

acauseforpatric

Reaction score
I think the JP70 neck might be a little bit thinner technically than the Wizard necks. It is a very thin U shape. I posted a NGD a while back with pics. but I will upload a few here for you
nez5mq.jpg
25rgmko.jpg

unclejemima218

190 Proof
Reaction score
my vote goes for the jp70. I own a jp50 6-string and it is one of the best guitars in the price range in my opinion. very solid, trem works very well, and I even like the pickups enough to keep them in.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I'd say the MH-417, unless you want/need a tremolo, in which case I'd suggest the Sterling :yesway:

The Iron Labels seem cool, and the ones I've tried haven't been bad, but I feel that the LTD has a bit of edge on the RG as far as construction since it's a mahogany body and is set-thru. They'd also have the same EMG's stock, which can either be a plus or minus for either one.

')