JP BFR Question (NEXT TIME TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK)

• Thread starter DeadThrone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DeadThrone

Reaction score
got my tax returns and trying to buy one this second.
I have a hard time finding BFR's with an ebony fingerboard as well as the 20" radius. looking online from sweetwater and musicians friend etc. in the specs they have some BFR's listed as 15" radius w/rosewood and some as said specs^
I called sweetwater just to get some more information and he said that "it varies" and that "sometimes it's one or the other, but they're still BFR's regardless."

seriously? I'm not extremely familiar with music mans quality control or their factories and how all that works, but really I don't understand at all. he mentioned something about a custom shop that they come out of? I'm kind of a noob help me out if you can. cause I'll just get an RGD if im going to have to "guess" what kind of fingerboard & radius im going to get.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Timelesseer

Reaction score
The JPXIs and JP12s are the only BFRs that have ebony boards and 20" radius as far as I know. The JPXs has an ebony board but it's a 15" radius. The non anniversary BFRs are all rosewood and 15" aside from a few select PDN runs that have maple boards.

CrazyDean

Reaction score
EBMM does not have a "custom shop". They do a lot of special runs though, which causes the specs to vary a bit. Unless the guitar is a PDN (Premier Dealer Network) or something special like a Dargie's Delight, the specs should all be the same. The BFR is a model of the JP line. The big difference being the nice tops. In fact, some of the earlier JPX and JPXI came with "BFR" inlays at the 12th fret. The ones with the inlays aren't any better, and they are the same quality.

From what I have read on the MM forums, it seems that 2012 was the year that EBMM decided to put SS frets on all their guitars. Personally, this is more important than fretboard radius or wood. As was already stated, only the JPXI and JP12 have the two things you are looking for. Although, I can't even feel the difference between 15" and 20" fretbaord radius. Check out Music Man's website where you can easily compare the different models.

Here are a few other choices with ebony boards: JPX, BFR Koa, JP7 Dargie Delight II, and the Majesty.

t_rod

Reaction score
EBMM does not have a "custom shop". They do a lot of special runs though, which causes the specs to vary a bit. Unless the guitar is a PDN (Premier Dealer Network) or something special like a Dargie's Delight, the specs should all be the same. The BFR is a model of the JP line. The big difference being the nice tops. In fact, some of the earlier JPX and JPXI came with "BFR" inlays at the 12th fret. The ones with the inlays aren't any better, and they are the same quality.

From what I have read on the MM forums, it seems that 2012 was the year that EBMM decided to put SS frets on all their guitars. Personally, this is more important than fretboard radius or wood. As was already stated, only the JPXI and JP12 have the two things you are looking for. Although, I can't even feel the difference between 15" and 20" fretbaord radius. Check out Music Man's website where you can easily compare the different models.

Here are a few other choices with ebony boards: JPX, BFR Koa, JP7 Dargie Delight II, and the Majesty.
Ya I agree, the radius feels pretty similar with the 15" feeling slightly rounder. The biggest difference between fingerboards to me are the frets. The BFR with 15" radius has the High Profile Wide frets, while the JP12 has the Medium Jumbo frets.

O00Coolzero00O

Reaction score
Timelesser really nailed the crux of the issue. Each new JP model tends to vary slightly based on John Petrucci's tastes or interests.

I own a MM in BFR and it definitely has a 15" feel to it, it really plays it self. Each BFR is an amazing guitar in its own right and they really play themselves.

varjao

Reaction score
JP6's with the old body design are made of Basswood, rosewood fretboard and 15" radius. Then you have the BFR's with a different body shape, different tops, necks and fretboards but not a lot of variety.

The Anniversaries (JPX, JPXI, JP12, JP13, JP15) are all BFR even if they don't have the BFR inlay in the 12th fret, they used to have, then EBMM decided to switch for the usual dots, seems that some people where complaining. Now the BFR logo is on the neck plate.

All these anniversary editions have small changes from each other, not only the color. They are base models, you can check on music man web site their specs, each model it's not available in different colors and specs, instead of having the same guitar with a lot of possible colors like for example Fender, Music Man works with different models each one with it's signature color. So apart from special editions that are very rare, if you want the JPX it's in purple with a 15" ebony fretboard. If you want a black color you'll have to go with the XI...so it works that way. All of them have a mahogany tone block in the body and maple top, the body wood is Alder for the X and XI and Basswood for the 12 and 13. All of them with mahogany neck as well.

If you want an Ebony fretboard you'll have to go with JPX, JPXI or JP12. The X has a 15" radius, the 12 20" , the XI I don't know.

I have a JPX and a JP12, the X coincidentally is a special edition with a roasted maple neck, I feel like the neck have more mass, you kind of feel more the neck in your hands. I can't speak much about the 12 in this regard because mine is a 7 string so it's a different thing comparing to a 6. But I played a JP12 6 strings in a guitar center once for 20 minutes and the neck is really suited for shredding, very thin and flat, it's awesome, unfortunately guitar center set up their guitars like crap so my experience was not under good conditions to have a complete feel for the guitar.

Looks like you're in the market for a JP12, my personal opinion is that it's the best anniversary edition, for my taste of course.

O00Coolzero00O

Reaction score
Personally I really like the JPXI 11. It has this really powerful sound to it that great for rhythms that I feel the other editions are lacking. It also has the same combination woods on the BFRs ( mahogany tone block, alder, maple cap, maple neck). You really can't go wrong with any JP model.

Latest posts

')