JP7 Owners - Advice needed! Piezo help

• Thread starter djpharoah
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I put on 10-62s yesterday on my JP7 and did a full setup. Playing this morning I noticed that the damn low B piezo saddle doesn't work because the string doesn't seem to apply enough pressure on the piezo element. The only solution I've found is to raise the saddle but then the action on the low B goes insanely high.

I've tried like 3 different 62s from EB, Daddario and DR and they all have this issue? Does this mean the system is designed only for limited gauges?

Help/advice would be appreciated.

:cheers:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Herector

Reaction score
I had the same problem, but with a normal 56, so I talked to Ernie Balls customer support, and they told me to send the offending saddle, and they sent me a new one. Even though my guitar was no longer in the warranty period, they always take care of you!

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had the same problem, but with a normal 56, so I talked to Ernie Balls customer support, and they told me to send the offending saddle, and they sent me a new one. Even though my guitar was no longer in the warranty period, they always take care of you!

Damn that's tight.. but how do you take out one saddle? Is it complicated?

What exactly did they send you and how did it help?

shotgunn

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of piezo inserts they use, but for my Edge Pro piezo mod I use the L.R. Baggs X-Inserts. The Low B is too large for the slot where the string is supposed to run through.

For this I bought a .065 nut file from stewmac.com and filed it to be slightly wider. The results were very clean, and sonically perfect.

You must be careful not to file the groove any deeper. The piezo crystal sits right beneath the metal enclosure. Make sure you file until the side walls have been widened. Do not let the file even scratch the surface of the valley of the channel.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanx,

shotgunn

So I put on 10-62s yesterday on my JP7 and did a full setup. Playing this morning I noticed that the damn low B piezo saddle doesn't work because the string doesn't seem to apply enough pressure on the piezo element. The only solution I've found is to raise the saddle but then the action on the low B goes insanely high.

I've tried like 3 different 62s from EB, Daddario and DR and they all have this issue? Does this mean the system is designed only for limited gauges?

Help/advice would be appreciated.

:cheers:

')