JP70 Sterling By Music Man Owners' Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Suho

Guitar Guardian
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice! Mine came in today, although I haven't had a chance to plug her in or really play her at work. It was in almost perfect tuner right out of the gig bag. That fingerboard is about the flattest I've ever played, and the neck is super thin but nice. So far, I like it a lot.

Ramziramman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

For those wondering how these beasts sound, here is a clip and review I did on mine. Enjoy!

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Hi,

on my black JP70 I noticed when I push down the trem bar for a dive bomb, when releasing the bar I hear a 'clack' kind of sound coming from the trem, I think the sound comes from the knife edge on the treble side of the strings. This only happens upon releasing the bar after it's been pushed far down (like on a dive bomb).
To me it seems that the knife edge gets mispositioned when the trem is pushed way down, and when released it 'flips' back into its position causing that sound. But there must be friction when that happens, so I am worried by doing this (did that maybe 15-20 times in total or so) I could have damaged the knife edge, but it must have been damaged already to begin with.

I guess it's either the trem post/bolt or the knife on the trem base plate that is not ok and my need to be replaced. I don't even know if this part would be available separately.

Has anybody else noticed something like this on their JP70?

lettmusic

Reaction score
Which one will win? Yes the first solo has timing issues. I figured this out once I had sold my JP70.

can i ask what kind of damper are you using there? Dioes it help with symphathetic vibrations when doing djent type chugging?
cool JP70, too bad you sold it.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
can i ask what kind of damper are you using there? Dioes it help with symphathetic vibrations when doing djent type chugging?
cool JP70, too bad you sold it.

It is called a gruv gear fretwrap. It helps silence the strings above the nut. You can also move it around on the neck. I would have kept my JP70 but I had to sell it to help pay for the JP7. I prolly will get another one some day to serve as a backup!

petrucci619

Reaction score
So I got BKP blackhawks put in mine!

6Mp17LM.jpg

I also got my tone knob rewired to be a volume knob. I like have control over both picks. Also a demo!

https://soundcloud.com/lewstherin006/bkp-blackhawk-demo

i have a question, did you have to do any routing on the guitar when installing the bkp black hawks ? or do they fit nicely? i plan on installing blackhawks in mine

Osteoporozis

Naive music major
Reaction score
I got mine in the mail last week, been playing the hell out of it since. My fingertips hurt for the first time in a LONG time and it feels good.

Silly question, is fret buzz out of the package normal? I'm only hearing it past the 12th fret in the mid range strings, it doesn't sound too bad except on 15. Still bugging me, and I have no idea what to do about it with an electric.

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
I got mine in the mail last week, been playing the hell out of it since. My fingertips hurt for the first time in a LONG time and it feels good.

Silly question, is fret buzz out of the package normal? I'm only hearing it past the 12th fret in the mid range strings, it doesn't sound too bad except on 15. Still bugging me, and I have no idea what to do about it with an electric.

I can never get the action right and eliminate and fret buzz (as much is possible) in my guitars so i pay for a good tech to do it for me. Could be the right move for you especially if you are unsure.

Usually isn't too expensive either.

Osteoporozis

Naive music major
Reaction score
I can never get the action right and eliminate and fret buzz (as much is possible) in my guitars so i pay for a good tech to do it for me. Could be the right move for you especially if you are unsure.

Usually isn't too expensive either.

I have no idea how to manipulate this kind of bridge myself anyway.. the action seems fine it's just the buzz that gets me. I'll just take it to the local shop.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
Hey purple burst owners...sometimes the purples look more like reds. Is that just the pictures or does it vary?

jbailes

Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm ignorant here. But the3 tremolo system on the sterling jp series seems to me to be very much like the two point tremolo systems in, say, a Mexican strat. Am I way off base?

Also, I'm trying to get F U tone to make a brass tremolo block that will fit the jp70 so we don't have to tolerate those teeny little tremblocks they come stock with.

')