JP70 Sterling By Music Man Owners' Club

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
View attachment 41290

Got this used but in dead mint condition, autographed for 400

GZ. Haven't seen that much of these in the FS/FT section. However, I just sold my purple one to get a Mayones Setius 7. Have to say the difference is pretty radical. I don't know what is it, but I had to have at least a .66 on my Sterling in A flat whereas .60 is fine with 25,4" scaled Mayones :eek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jbailes

Reaction score
wow that's a big string. I just put a fresh set of regular slinky 7s on mine .010 - .056, and raised the action a tad on the B, and that seems t do the trick. It's not as "taut" as the other strings, but it's certainly not floppy either.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
10409721_10152596885857302_6606636638998531162_n.jpg

Looks like there's a JP70D in the works.

jbailes

Reaction score
I've seen a white 70D, but not anything with a quilt top. That would be nice. Also if they would make a silver 70 like they do the jp60s.

Petef2007

Reaction score
I find myself considering one of these beauties more and more, its a toss up between this and the Jackson Pro Series Broderick.

Anyone stuck a JP70 in Drop G, and if so, hows it holding up?

Everyone in this thread has beautiful guitars.

Cbutler

Reaction score
I find myself considering one of these beauties more and more, its a toss up between this and the Jackson Pro Series Broderick.

Anyone stuck a JP70 in Drop G, and if so, hows it holding up?

Everyone in this thread has beautiful guitars.

i know a guy. consistently.

jco5055

Reaction score
Hey guys, I might buy one from a guy on here, but I was wondering how you would rate the trem compared to a Floyd or Edge?

I asked him, but he said he pretty much never uses the trem so he couldn't tell me.

Jim Antonio

Playa from Manila
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a necrobump but I need to ask if any owner here knows the size/dimensions of the guitar tuner buttons? I want to replace the black buttons to pearloid ones but I am not too confident with my caliper-measuring skills, hehe.

Most of the replacement buttons I see online are:
-size: width 23.0mm =0.91"
height 16.8mm =0.66"
thickness 7.5mm =0.30"
-Hole:3.89mm(0.153")x3.23mm(0.127")

Thanks!

themightyjaymoe

Zombie Autopilot
Reaction score
I should have my JP70 in transparent purple in the next 2-3 weeks, put a deposit down today, just gotta move a few things and I should have some pics to post in the coming weeks. I absolutely cannot wait!!

themightyjaymoe

Zombie Autopilot
Reaction score
I couldn't wait, picked it up last night. Put some new strings on and started recording almost right away. Very pleased, gonna thin the heard and keep this and my Les Paul.

Better pics this evening:

A-Branger

Reaction score
niiice. kinda like that more than with the black hardware. also is not the crunch lab upside down?. shouldnt be the bar side of the pickup closest to the neck?

also I found out that there are still a couple of JP70D white in Australia (were I live), my local store contacted the australian dealer for sterling as they sell guitars at the store and they are charging me 1600AUD$ for it. (1225 US$) is that a good price??... is it worth it??

I love Dream Theater to death and always wanted a JP guitar, but their price is way too high. I dont have the guitar playing level to justify such prices. Love what sterling is doing but never liked the black burst look. This white pearl is the only one I like as color. But shame the "pretty one" had to be a limited run.

I ask, as I see they are selling the other jps between 500-800 US$ in America. Ebay so far Ive only found 2, one at 999us$ (the add been up for over a year), and one in japan for similar price.... plus shipping and tax, Im almost if not better off buying it here. but I feel that for that price I could get something else better

is it really worth the price? or should I get something else?

thanks

Jim Antonio

Playa from Manila
Reaction score
There's virtually no difference in sound on how you position the Crunch Labs. Some say if it points towards the neck it'll produce a chunkier tone but look around youtube for demos and there's basically no noticeable difference.

The white JP70 was a limited run but I've seen them sold used in eBay for $500, although rarely. Still, that price you mentioned is way too high; you can add some more to it and you can buy a decent used Music Man JP (from the US though). I have a friend from AUS and it seems guitars there cost way more than in the US.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I got a stealth one for super cheap last summer. Fantastic guitar for the money, but for $800+ U.S., you can find plenty better on the used market. It's comfortable, it's definitely a great budget JP, but I can't say I would pay $800+ for it, especially with the inferior pickups/hardware. Ex: That much gets you a new RC7x, better hardware/thinner neck, etc.(arguably uglier though).

Tldr, wouldn't sell mine anytime soon, but wouldn't overpay for a pretty color either.

A-Branger

Reaction score
well the JP70D white comes with the dimarzio's JP, so is not the cheap pups out of the stealth model, is just the "D" models should be 800$-1000$.

personally I have been chasing this guitar since it came out and I almost buy it from alto music as they had it at 800$-ish (i just had to use the money for something else at that time). I have never seen one in ebay apart from the same ad that its up now at 999$. and by being over the 1k aud$ it import taxes come into play. Ebay says in that ad a pay of 180$usd plus shipping....hence why I dont see this price here that bad

music man JP7's just now there is an ad for one at 1800$usd or 2200$aud so for 600$ difference it ads up plus the ships (and maybe import taxes?, dont know as is not "new"), so for a second hand guitar is not just ad a "bit extra", all the other jp7's I have seen are over the 2-2.5K$usd mark.......and if thats the case I rather get a new majesty, but I dont have that amount of cash to burn for something I wont play that much and I dont have the level to justify it, plus I could buy me a new bass I want with that difference (im mainly a bass player)

I was wondering if there is something better at the price they are asking me here in aus, like schetcher km7 or any signature or top of the range LTDs

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Im actually jonesing for one of the ltd 7's either the buz-7, or the bs-7. You can guess why, lol. I mean if the price is good and you'll be happy then I say go for it. It's definitely not a bad guitar.

ryane24

Reaction score
Hey guys, just joined this forum. I just bought my first seven string (the JP70) and I was delighted to see this thread. I was hoping someone would comment on the various questions regarding drop G. I want to tune down but I still want to be able to play in standard nicely as well. I was thinking about putting these on it: Ernie Ball 2730 Cobalt 7-String Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Electric Guitar Strings | Musician's Friend

What y'all think? What kind of adjustments would I need to make when going from the stock strings to these.

')