JP70 Sterling By Music Man Owners' Club

A-Branger

Reaction score
sup with the mini togle at the top?

coil tap?, kill switch?, or planing to get some piezzo bridge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

82DMC12

Reaction score
I've had my JP70 for over a year now and thinking about swapping PU's for something different. I've got a couple other Ibby's and they all have Dimarzio PU's. I want to try something different.

Looking for a 7 string set that is along the lines of Sybreed's guitar sound. What would sound good in one of these guitars?

Jim Antonio

Playa from Manila
Reaction score

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Should I go (N/B): Liquifire/Crunchlab, Liquifire/Deactivator, or Illiminators? Have Titans in my only other basswood guitar, looking for something with a ton of mids, but not so much it overpowers the lows/highs. My alder guitar has EMG 81's, and that's too bright.

ryane24

Reaction score
Hey, does anybody have a hard case for this guitar? Forgive me if someone already mentioned this. Didn't want to read through 10 pages.

trashed

Reaction score
hey, can someone help me with the following questions. I am planning on buying one of these in a few months, but a little bit worried about the following things:

- how does the neck profile compare against an Ibanez Wizard-II-7. I have it on my RG7321 and really like it, little bit afraid that this new neck wont be as comfortable and fast.

- is the trem quality work? im not much of a tremolo guy so i can live without using it at all, but would be good to know how good is it

- and the most crucial point: the pickups. i have been using SD Blackouts for the past 5 years and I absolutely love them. I know that going back to passive will be a change but should i instantly change the bridge one? i only play metalcore/deathcore or prog metal in most cases, so what would be a good fit for that?

thanks

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
Joining the club. I own a JP70 in stealth black. It's pretty awesome. Sometime I will post pics.

Eldor

Reaction score
Hi dudes! I'm new here! I have a JP70D. It's a fantastic guitar but i find 2 little shortcomings (my english is not very good, I hope you understand me btw):ugh:

- The frets are not very good finished. It's not a problem for me, but in this aspect, it's the worst guitar I have.

- I usually broke the first string (I use Ernie Ball Dinky or Cobalt 0.10-0.56) when soloing I make a bending (a standard bending of 1 tone, not a mega-bending of 2 tones) The string breaks in the bridge part, not in the saddle. So, how can I fix this? Is necessary a luthier for this or anyone can fix it? I really appretiate your help!!

BTW, we could to locate the 60 owners of this amazing guitar.:hbang:

lewstherin006

Reaction score
Hi dudes! I'm new here! I have a JP70D. It's a fantastic guitar but i find 2 little shortcomings (my english is not very good, I hope you understand me btw):ugh:

- The frets are not very good finished. It's not a problem for me, but in this aspect, it's the worst guitar I have.

- I usually broke the first string (I use Ernie Ball Dinky or Cobalt 0.10-0.56) when soloing I make a bending (a standard bending of 1 tone, not a mega-bending of 2 tones) The string breaks in the bridge part, not in the saddle. So, how can I fix this? Is necessary a luthier for this or anyone can fix it? I really appretiate your help!!

use graphite or something that will help the string slide a little easier where the string sits on the bridge.

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
The string breaks in the bridge part, not in the saddle. So, how can I fix this? Is necessary a luthier for this or anyone can fix it? I really appretiate your help!!

In which part of the bridge, exactly? That bridge has a lot of parts.

Santuzzo

Reaction score

Welcome to the forum.

I had a similar problem with my JP70s, and the string would always break exactly at the spot where it runs through the tremolo base plate, so I used a Dremel drill and de-burred the whole in the base plate where the string runs through, since then I had no more string breakage upon bending.

edit: oh, and, post some pics of your guitar! :)

A-Branger

Reaction score
thats a common problem with the Sterlings JPs

even at their facebook page they talk about it and showed you how to fix it. Which it was the dremel fix he ^^ talks about

Eldor

Reaction score
Exactly, it's in the base trem as Santuzzo said. I will try to get borrowed a dremel drill and will fix it.

I will upload pics from my 2 SSguitars, Sterling Jp70D and Schecter JL7 ASAP.

Draxx_Sklounst

Reaction score
Shameless bump

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and just purchased a purple JP70. I just have a few questions for those that have changed out the pickups in this beast:

What PU brand sits best in this model? I have some BKs in a 6 string I built, but I'm not sure based on the specs of this model what would work best for what I'm going for and the actual instrument itself.

I have a pretty mixed style as far as my writing goes, but my main influences are The Contortionist, Sithu Aye, and Periphery. I need clarity in my chords with the punchiness and aggression in the seventh string as far as the bridge goes. My lead playing is mostly jazzy so a warm sound would be great.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Shameless bump

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and just purchased a purple JP70. I just have a few questions for those that have changed out the pickups in this beast:

What PU brand sits best in this model? I have some BKs in a 6 string I built, but I'm not sure based on the specs of this model what would work best for what I'm going for and the actual instrument itself.

I have a pretty mixed style as far as my writing goes, but my main influences are The Contortionist, Sithu Aye, and Periphery. I need clarity in my chords with the punchiness and aggression in the seventh string as far as the bridge goes. My lead playing is mostly jazzy so a warm sound would be great.

Thanks for the help in advance!

I put the CrunchLab/Liquifire combo in one of my JP70s, and a ToneZone/AirNorton combo in another. I like them both and I think both these combo's work very well with these guitars, but I'm sure other PUs will sound great in these as well.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! :wavey:

Draxx_Sklounst

Reaction score
I put the CrunchLab/Liquifire combo in one of my JP70s, and a ToneZone/AirNorton combo in another. I like them both and I think both these combo's work very well with these guitars, but I'm sure other PUs will sound great in these as well.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! :wavey:

Hey thanks alot! What string gauges do you guys recommend for playing in Drop Ab on this guitar?

')