JP70 Sterling By Music Man Owners' Club

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how these necks compare to normal JP7 necks?
I haven't played the JP7, only the 6... but the specs say the Sterling is a 16" radius, while the EBMM is 15". Which suggests the neck might be thinner on the Sterling?

I love the neck on mine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
Im thinkin of getting one of these JP70's to sand natural and put a lite ebony stain on it. Thank i may do it very soon :)

piggins411

Reaction score
So is everyone here ordering them or have they shipped to stores yet? I'm dying to try one

7stringDemon

Reaction score
How big of a string can you fit through the lowest tuner? Im considering one and I'll be using a .65 , .68 or .70 for the lowest string (depending on how the guitar feels).

Reaction score
How big of a string can you fit through the lowest tuner? Im considering one and I'll be using a .65 , .68 or .70 for the lowest string (depending on how the guitar feels).

Anything lower than .60 will require the nut to be re-slotted, and you'll also have to bore the tuning machine up just a tad to accept the string

I've toyed around with them and have put .68 on to go through the motions with testing. Felt pretty comfortable, and tuned it fully down to a low A across the board. Slight adjustments will be needed to the trem claw, but they are super stable and the tremolo stays perfectly accurate.

DarthV

Reaction score
Guess Long & Mcquade only had a single green burst at the warehouse. But who's got 2 thumbs and that lonely guitar ordered? <-- this guy.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
These should become available in Europe sometime in April or May IIRC.
As soon as that happened I am going to throw my money at the dealer!:shred:

DarthV

Reaction score
My Green Burst came in today, S/N B012256. No pics as of yet, it was getting dark when I got home. And looks like crappy weather until Sunday.

After some playing, love the neck. It feels more comfortable than my Ibanez RG7620. Haven't used the trem yet, but with lots of bending, no probs so far. Out of the box it did need some tweaking, seemed to have a saddle burr (high E) that snapped 2 or 3 strings while in the store. The action was on the high side, but that was a quick fix. Now it's like greased lightning! The pickups aren't bad, I'm going for a decently saturated Train of Thought tone and they seem to play nice with a Mark IIc'ish profile on my Kemper.

Definitely impressive for a guitar that streets for $630!

Reaction score

DarthV

Reaction score
I forgot how wide a 17-40mm lens is on a full frame body, best friend still has my 70-200 2.8 IS :p Here is my new toy:

jp70-1.jpg

jp70-2.jpg

DarthV

Reaction score
Ruh roh, trouble in paradise. Tried out the trem and there are some unhealthy noises being made and it's nowhere near stable for tuning. On full dives, I'm hearing something springy and actual popping sounds, almost like the knife edge is coming off the post??

Santuzzo

Reaction score
If the info I saw on the Thomann website is right, then I have to say the prices for these in Europe are ridiculous:

Sterling by Music Man John Petrucci JP70TPB - Thomann Nederlandse Cyberstore

In the US they go for like 600-700 USD and here they are supposed to be 900-950 EUR????:scratch::nuts: I don't think so:nono:

Will probably still be cheaper ordering from a US dealer, even after shipping costs and custom fees/taxes have been added.

Latest posts

')