JP70 Sterling By Music Man Owners' Club

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
If the info I saw on the Thomann website is right, then I have to say the prices for these in Europe are ridiculous:

Sterling by Music Man John Petrucci JP70TPB - Thomann Nederlandse Cyberstore

In the US they go for like 600-700 USD and here they are supposed to be 900-950 EUR????:scratch::nuts: I don't think so:nono:

Will probably still be cheaper ordering from a US dealer, even after shipping costs and custom fees/taxes have been added.

Facepalm, Thomann are really losing the run of themselves lately...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Facepalm, Thomann are really losing the run of themselves lately...

I hope it's just a mistake they made and the price they have on their site is the list price....
But if that really is the price these will be selling for in Europe, I will consider ordering one from a US dealer, that price difference is ridiculous IMO.

Shredmon

Reaction score
i really wanted to grab one of those, but at the european price...... NO freakin way.....i mean, you can get prestige/Premium Ibbys for that price...
Redicioulus......ALL of the Sterling products are WAY overpriced in the eu imho....
greets

Reaction score
We just got this back from the photo shoot we did with John last month. It's our official picture with him and the JP70.

Attachments

• SBMMJP70-GW.jpg
    SBMMJP70-GW.jpg
    635.9 KB · Views: 157

Counterspell

Wesley Belmont
Reaction score
Yo dudes :shred: to the jp70 owners, if you could give me your opinion please if you could help me out here. I am seriously considering picking one up, but I am just a little hesitant due to the scale length. I have been playing extended scale guitars for years now, but recently played a jp and was blown away by it! For drop G tuning, do you guys think this would be a good choice? Thanks much

DarthV

Reaction score
Like every other guitar, need different tuning? Use different strings! Might need to drill out the tuning post and mod the nut for larger strings?

Mayhew

Reaction score
I played one of these in store yesterday and was quite impressed by it. The trans finish, shield inlay and matching headstock look great. The frets were smooth, the maple neck felt great and the tuners and trem looked and felt solid. It doesn't seem like a $650 guitar. It gave me serious gas and I just happened to be browsing around on break and picked it up out of the blue.

Can anyone give the details on the trem? I know nothing about them really. What's the design and how do they work. I've got an RG1527 and kind of want a fixed bridge 7 (RGD2127FX gas) but really liked the JP. It doesn't have a locking nut so I'm assuming it's easier to tune. Can you go from standard to drop tuning without fiddling with the other strings? If it's a low hassle trem I might consider it at that price.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
I played one of these in store yesterday and was quite impressed by it. The trans finish, shield inlay and matching headstock look great. The frets were smooth, the maple neck felt great and the tuners and trem looked and felt solid. It doesn't seem like a $650 guitar. It gave me serious gas and I just happened to be browsing around on break and picked it up out of the blue.

Can anyone give the details on the trem? I know nothing about them really. What's the design and how do they work. I've got an RG1527 and kind of want a fixed bridge 7 (RGD2127FX gas) but really liked the JP. It doesn't have a locking nut so I'm assuming it's easier to tune. Can you go from standard to drop tuning without fiddling with the other strings? If it's a low hassle trem I might consider it at that price.

I have mine in drop A right now and it stays in tune fine.

DarthV

Reaction score

The JP70 still has a floating bridge, so you're not going to be any farther ahead than with your rg1527. You could always install a tremol-no in dive only mode, but you could do that with the Ibby as well.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm really thinking about snagging one.
With serious whammy abuse, does this guitar hold tune?
I have PRS SE Custom 24 with the single locking trem & it stays in tune incredibly well after installing Schaller locking tuners.

acauseforpatric

Reaction score
I'm really thinking about snagging one.
With serious whammy abuse, does this guitar hold tune?
I have PRS SE Custom 24 with the single locking trem & it stays in tune incredibly well after installing Schaller locking tuners.

Taken mine through quite a few hours of band practice/rehearsal now and it holds up like a champ!

davidsantana27

Reaction score
Hey mates, hope u won't be mad that I didn't have time to read the whole topic, but I wanna ask something - does anyone have any experience of getting one of those crazy Sterlings to Europe? Like which US shop ships quite cheap, how big are fees at airport and so on? I would really appreciate all help, as I want to sell my kidney and get a JP-70!

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Hey mates, hope u won't be mad that I didn't have time to read the whole topic, but I wanna ask something - does anyone have any experience of getting one of those crazy Sterlings to Europe? Like which US shop ships quite cheap, how big are fees at airport and so on? I would really appreciate all help, as I want to sell my kidney and get a JP-70!

Just go one page back in this thread and you will find info on where these will be available in Europe.

davidsantana27

Reaction score
I know that, I already talked to official distributor, but I don't want to buy one in Europe, lol, it will be more expensive than importing from US :)

Reaction score
I know that, I already talked to official distributor, but I don't want to buy one in Europe, lol, it will be more expensive than importing from US :)

Technically, ALL of our USA/Canada dealers are NOT supposed to sell outside of the USA/Canada, as this undermines our International Distributors business.

As far as the cost of the instruments Internationally, we are in communication with our International Distributors to get a realistic feel for what their landed cost is so that we will know the markup vs. USA prices.

davidsantana27

Reaction score
My mate here in Poland has one already :) I QUITE figured it out, now it's dilemma with colour and finding a suitable person to help. And those dealers won't sell outside the US, it's all about some help from a 'third party' and avoiding custom fees here in PL. Sterling guitars are imo one of best brands when comparing quality to price (obviously US price), I already have JP50 and this one is a must as well. I'm not trying to spoil bussiness for European distributors or something, I just want it now and cheap ;)

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I think ordering from a US dealer might still be cheaper even after custom fees and shipping has been added.
The only downside is if something is not ok with the guitar and it has to go back to the shop.

')