JP70 Sterling By Music Man Owners' Club

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Technically, ALL of our USA/Canada dealers are NOT supposed to sell outside of the USA/Canada, as this undermines our International Distributors business.

As far as the cost of the instruments Internationally, we are in communication with our International Distributors to get a realistic feel for what their landed cost is so that we will know the markup vs. USA prices.

Can you guys also influence the international dealers on their pricing or is that completely their own choice?

In all honesty, if the JP70 sells here for 800EUR (as the one dealer that someone posted a link to does) I can take that, seems a fair price, I do know these will be a bit more expensive over here than they are in the US, and to me that's ok, but 940 EUR (as seen on another dealer) seems a bit too much of a price difference to me, in which case I would prefer ordering from the US despite the custom and shipping fees.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

davidsantana27

Reaction score
Agreed, I would consider 800€, but 940€ (from Thomann I believe) is way overpriced compared to US price. We'll see how it's going to be, so far we can only order from US.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Reaction score
Cool!
Would you suggest to wait a few more weeks before buying one from a European dealer?

That looks like a good price, this is about 760 EUR!:yesway:

I wouldn't wait too long. There are a limited amount of JP70 that went to Europe and I know that many of the distributors have pre-sold the ones they've gotten in. Best not to wait

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
Got mine purple one today (SN B012233), it's sexy as Emma Watson but there's one issue I'm worried of. I'm not sure whether the fretboard is cracked or it's just the grains, i hope some of you know more about these things. Pics:

20130417_142514.jpg

20130417_142910.jpg

Package was quite bashed, luckily nothing had broken:
20130417_140414.jpg

Making a review when I've got more into this axe.

Mayhew

Reaction score
Rosewood is very grainy and can have pores big enough to look like it's been gouged. Don't worry though it's fine. Just oil it up and show it some love and you're good to go.

davidsantana27

Reaction score
Looks fine imo, had seen bigger canyons in fretboards that just played well :)
And about that UK price, it's about 990$ am I wrong? I am getting more and more depressed :D

Reaction score
Got mine purple one today (SN B012233), it's sexy as Emma Watson but there's one issue I'm worried of. I'm not sure whether the fretboard is cracked or it's just the grains, i hope some of you know more about these things.

Congrats on the new JP70!

That's a grain anomaly. Best bet (as anybody should do with any new instrument), change the strings, and give the fretboard a good feeding with a high quality wood oil/conditioner.

Not sure what products you have there in Finland, but I'd imagine that you could find some fine wood conditioner. Best place to look would be in a furniture store (of all places!) Use one that is all natural based. If you find some and aren't sure, take down the names and send me a PM and I'll let you know.

Usually a good idea to douse it well and let it soak for several hours. You'll be amazed how much it will soak up!

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
Ordered mine from a US dealer. With shipping, taxes etc it was ~750e. That Thomann price is too much even tho it's a great guitar.

That's a grain anomaly. Best bet (as anybody should do with any new instrument), change the strings, and give the fretboard a good feeding with a high quality wood oil/conditioner.

Not sure what products you have there in Finland, but I'd imagine that you could find some fine wood conditioner. Best place to look would be in a furniture store (of all places!) Use one that is all natural based. If you find some and aren't sure, take down the names and send me a PM and I'll let you know.

Usually a good idea to douse it well and let it soak for several hours. You'll be amazed how much it will soak up!

Thanks for the advice. Even that basic rosewood grain looks pretty wide compared to an ebony board in my other guitar. But that's how rosewood is, I know.. Going tomorrow to get new strings and apply some lemon oil I already have. That should do the trick for a start.

Mr_Metal_575

Reaction score
Oh my god... Bad news for European people.:ugh::ugh:
Musikhaus Thomann sell the JP70 for ¡¡¡¡¡¡899 euros!!!!!
I don't know if it's because of the 21% VAT in Spain,but that is more damn expensive than in the US.
Anyway in Andertons Music costs 770 euros more or less so we will see...

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Got mine today, before I post more pics and a NGD thread, I have a question about a little issue:
Just a tiny bit left from the 21st fret marker there is what looks to me like wood filler worked into the fretboard, but not on a spot where there's a fret. I assume they accidentally cut into the fretboard there and then filled the cut up with wood filler.
Is this an issue? Or is this a cosmetic flaw that should be acceptable in this price-range? or would this be a valid reason for returning it?
here's a pic:

img0354iv.jpg

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Got mine today, before I post a more pics and a NGD thread, I have a question about a little issue:
Just a tiny bit left from the 21st fret marker there what looks to me like wood filler worked into the fretboard, but not on a spot where there's a fret. I assume they accidentally cut into the fretboard there and then filled the cut up with wood filler.
Is this an issue? Or is this a cosmetic flaw that should be acceptable in this price-range? or would this be a valid reason for returning it?
here's a pic:

img0354iv.jpg

A return would be valid, I'd personally keep it and ask for a discount. If they didn't give it, I'd return it. Unless it plays like a dream, in that case I'd keep it :shred:

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Thanks!
I thought over it, but decided not to let this bother me. it as this guitar does play like a dream. I would not want to return and to get another one that may not have this kind of tiny cosmetic flaw but have a lesser playability. Also, I might end up with another guitar that has some other kind of cosmetic issue, so I'm fine with this little flaw.:yesway:

I did notice something else, and I wanted to ask fellow JP70 owners if they had noticed anything similar:
the back of the neck seems to have a little tiny 'bump' where it does not feel even all the way. It is barely visible and it is very slight, but I can feel it with my finger when I run over the back of the neck. I'm pretty sure this could be sanded down, but I don't want to do anything to the guitar.
It does not really affect playability since it's really barely noticeable, but I wanted to ask other JP70 owners:
Have you noticed something similar on your JP70 where you feel an unevenness at some spot on the back of the neck?

Thanks,
Lars

')