JP70 Sterling By Music Man Owners' Club

Santuzzo

Reaction score
on my new JP70 the high b-string sounds kind of dull and muffled and does not ring out the same way as the other strings. This occurs with open as well as fretted string.
I took a close look at the saddle but can't see anything that's wrong with it.
Any ideas?

And: what strings are you guys using on your JP70s?
I think the stock strings on mine are 010s, so I am planning on staying with 010s on it. On most of my other guitars I use 009s but the 010s on this one feel comfortable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
I have 10s and mines sounds great in drop a. I also changed out the pickups yo blackhawks also.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

TheOrangeChannel

JonOrBattleship
Reaction score
They're tens stock...as far as the B, check the nut too, if there's a burr or impingement in there that can cause that also...if you're getting sitarish sounds, you may have a high fret.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
They're tens stock...as far as the B, check the nut too, if there's a burr or impingement in there that can cause that also...if you're getting sitarish sounds, you may have a high fret.

Thanks!
It's not the sitarish-kind of sound, more of a dull, slightly muted sound.
If it's the nut that causes this, would this require the nut to be filed or would it even need to be replaced? (if latter is the case I may have to return the guitar)

UPDATE: problem solved. I mailed Brian at SBMM and he said it must be the string. I went ahead and replaced it, and the new string sounds just fine! :yesway:

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
Ok, so I was hesitant to get a JP70 because the color choices simply didn't convince me, but in case you weren't aware/were waiting for this:
guitar center/musicians friend exclusive version in stealth black is apparently now in stock. I am most definitely picking one of those up.

Ricfutures

Reaction score
I have been waiting for the stealth black version and it looks fantastic. And its' friendlier on the wallet too! Before I pull the trigger I hoping someone can answer some questions:
- Will dropping the low B to A require a trem block to avoid having to adjust all of the other strings? If yes then...
- Which trem block will work with this trem design?
- How is everyone liking these?

I used to own a UV777 which I loved and currently own a Washburn N4 & a Peavey HP CT Special both with D-Tuna's. I'm looking for a 7 string that I can drop to A relatively fast with a trem.

Thanks!

TheOrangeChannel

JonOrBattleship
Reaction score
I have been waiting for the stealth black version and it looks fantastic. And its' friendlier on the wallet too! Before I pull the trigger I hoping someone can answer some questions:
- Will dropping the low B to A require a trem block to avoid having to adjust all of the other strings? If yes then...
- Which trem block will work with this trem design?
- How is everyone liking these?

I used to own a UV777 which I loved and currently own a Washburn N4 & a Peavey HP CT Special both with D-Tuna's. I'm looking for a 7 string that I can drop to A relatively fast with a trem.

Thanks!

Anything floating is going to require a block, tremol-no, or readjustment of the springs considering string tension and spring tension are a balance. These float so yeah, you're not getting a hardtail...and I own 2 of 'em. I need 2 t-no's to finish these mofos out.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
I have been waiting for the stealth black version and it looks fantastic. And its' friendlier on the wallet too!
Thanks!

If you get one pretty soon make sure you do a NGD thread with lots of pics of the finish :D the stock picture looks dull-ish hahah.
I would order it asap but I'm low on funds and might have to wait till next month

Ricfutures

Reaction score
The pressure from the forum is too much! :fawk: Just placed the order on Musician's Friend and got an additional 15% off for Memorial Day. :shred:

According to Allparts.com it appears that the "pin" type Tremelno is the correct solution for this guitar. Can anyone else confirm?

After a receive the guitar i'll be sure to post some detailed pics and initial impressions.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
The pressure from the forum is too much! :fawk: Just placed the order on Musician's Friend and got an additional 15% off for Memorial Day. :shred:

According to all parts it appears that the "pin" type is the correct solution for this guitar. Can anyone else confirm?

After a receive the guitar i'll be sure to post some detailed pics and initial impressions.

MUCHO BUENO.

Hendog

Reaction score
Ruh roh, trouble in paradise. Tried out the trem and there are some unhealthy noises being made and it's nowhere near stable for tuning. On full dives, I'm hearing something springy and actual popping sounds, almost like the knife edge is coming off the post??

Yeah, the popping is weird. My JP60 has it too.

The trem is decent for a cheap floating, non-locking nut unit.

To be honest, my biggest complaint with the JP60/JP70 is the fact that the trem bar doesn't snap/screw/click in. It just slides in and slides right back out when you lean over to adjust your amp.

Hendog

Reaction score
Yo dudes :shred: to the jp70 owners, if you could give me your opinion please if you could help me out here. I am seriously considering picking one up, but I am just a little hesitant due to the scale length. I have been playing extended scale guitars for years now, but recently played a jp and was blown away by it! For drop G tuning, do you guys think this would be a good choice? Thanks much

It's a 25.5. It's not exactly short.

Just get a bigger set of strings.

BoomBoyBooms

The Young Expert
Reaction score
Yo dudes :shred: to the jp70 owners, if you could give me your opinion please if you could help me out here. I am seriously considering picking one up, but I am just a little hesitant due to the scale length. I have been playing extended scale guitars for years now, but recently played a jp and was blown away by it! For drop G tuning, do you guys think this would be a good choice? Thanks much

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's looking to try Drop G on a JP70! :shred:

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
Hmmm, purple or green? Green or purple? Bastard of a decision,they're two neato colour choices.

')