JP70 Sterling By Music Man Owners' Club

7stringDemon

Reaction score
^ That's my vote! My friend bought one and dyed the Rosewood black and it has to be one of the sexiest guitars I've ever seen that isn't an RGD2127FX

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
What guitar shop did you try that in? Would be cool to get one in Ireland, don't have to pay for stupid postage charges :lol:

Damn sorry man, living in Vancouver BC now, should update my profile! The price for these in Europe is disgraceful! Like 900 euro compared to what 600 or 650 dollars!? Mental.

The Sterling guy in this thread said he would "look in to it" but i don't think he posted more.

EDIT: Please correct me if i am wrong

Reaction score
There are a lot of things that end up in the prices when our instruments hit the overseas markets.

The biggest financial obstacle in Europe is the VAT (Value Added Tax). Other things, such as freight, regional taxes and duty fees come into play.

Marcusesp79

Reaction score
Yes!! Finally pulled the trigger on the green one, got a used bargain (I think it's actually one of the ones in this thread). Will check out the stock pickups but may well replace with CL/LF or D-Activators.

I bought JP100D (sexy RRB) about a month ago and it totally convinced about the quality of these amazing instruments!!
The cheap prices (even in UK) is absolutely criminal. Hands down the JP are the most comfortable and inviting guitars I've ever played!

ImNotAhab

ChronicUnderachiever
Reaction score
There are a lot of things that end up in the prices when our instruments hit the overseas markets.

The biggest financial obstacle in Europe is the VAT (Value Added Tax). Other things, such as freight, regional taxes and duty fees come into play.

Firstly thanks for the reply, i appreciate it.

Secondly, i played a Sterling JP60 and loved it. A very well made guitar.

But on to the issue at hand. Yes, Europe can be a pain to deal with. However, most established guitars from established manufactures seem to be priced at around the dollar value ie 700usd would be 700e (usually a more). So yes we do pay more.

But the discrepancy in pricing here is crazy. The euro value is 869 which converts to 1163.42usd (according to google). Considering that the price in the US is around 650usd that is quite the pill to swallow.

It would be naive to lay all the blame at EBMM as all the issues you mentioned are extremely valid. However considering Europeans would be paying almost double the cost one would pay in the US i think you could understand my strong feelings on this.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I have been having problems with the high e-string breaking over and over again whenever I do a 3-fret bend.

This just happened 4 times in a row, I used different brands of strings, but it still keeps happening. But the string always breaks right above the ball-end, so not at a spot where the string has any contact with the saddle.
I'm using a standard 010 set (010-046 and a 056 for the 7th string), standard tuning....

does anybody else have this?

for now I will have to avoid doing any bends more than 2 frets, but that is not going to make me happy....

any ideas what could be wrong here?

Thanks,
Lars

sear

Reaction score
You know, it is possible to bend strings too far on certain guitars. You probably have too much tension being put on the string at the ball end for what it can handle. Depending on the bridge and saddle design a guitar might be able to take bigger bends due to how tension is distributed.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
You know, it is possible to bend strings too far on certain guitars. You probably have too much tension being put on the string at the ball end for what it can handle. Depending on the bridge and saddle design a guitar might be able to take bigger bends due to how tension is distributed.

Ok, thank you.
I had never thought about that. On my Ibanez guitars, I have never had problems with 3 or even 4 fret bends, but then again, those guitars are set up with 009s.
Might try lighter strings next time I changed the strings.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I have been having problems with the high e-string breaking over and over again whenever I do a 3-fret bend.

This just happened 4 times in a row, I used different brands of strings, but it still keeps happening. But the string always breaks right above the ball-end, so not at a spot where the string has any contact with the saddle.
I'm using a standard 010 set (010-046 and a 056 for the 7th string), standard tuning....

does anybody else have this?

for now I will have to avoid doing any bends more than 2 frets, but that is not going to make me happy....

any ideas what could be wrong here?

Thanks,
Lars

let me ask you guys: did any of you have similar problems when doing 3 fret bends on the high e-string on a JP70?

Santuzzo

Reaction score
How is the tuning stability on your guys' JP70s trems?

I experienced some tuning instabilities when pulling the trem up after pushing it down.
If I only push the bar and release, tuning seems to stay pretty well, same thing if I only pull the bar up, but if I do both (and I am certainly not abusing the trem like I would a floyd, just talking about slight trem usage) the tuning is off afterwards.
Do I need to lubricate the knives or is there anything else I could do to cure this?

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Who of you have swapped out the PUs on their JP70? What PUs did you install?
Did you also somehow install a split-option?

I have an AirNorton and a ToneZone that I am considering installing in my JP70, but I would love to have them split-able. Especially on the neck PU I would really love that.
I really like how most Ibanez guitars equipped with 2 humbuckers are switched, where you have the neck humbucker coils parallel. I would love that have that option on my JP70, too, but I am not sure how that would have to be done.

Has anybody of you done something like that?

Scotty1073

Reaction score
P1010911.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mine :)

')