JP70 Sterling By Music Man Owners' Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty1073

Reaction score
Thanks guys! That was a standard green/black-burst jp70 at one point. Wanted to get a little fancy so I sent it off to Marty Bell to get refinished. It has a white pearl base, with a green flip-flake sparkle top. And of course, black hawks. I freekin' love this guitar!!!

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Thanks guys! That was a standard green/black-burst jp70 at one point. Wanted to get a little fancy so I sent it off to Marty Bell to get refinished. It has a white pearl base, with a green flip-flake sparkle top. And of course, black hawks. I freekin' love this guitar!!!

wow, that looks awesome!
How is your PU switching? Do you have the humbuckers splitable?

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a JP70 in purple. But every pic i see it looks diff. Is it dark purple or light purple? Can you see wood grain under it like the green one?

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a JP70 in purple. But every pic i see it looks diff. Is it dark purple or light purple? Can you see wood grain under it like the green one?

It's more of a dark purple, at least mine is, I think when pics are taken with a flash the purple comes out lighter on the pic than it really is. And yes, the wood grain is visible as with the green one.

Insinfier

Reaction score
Do DiMarzios or Bare Knuckles drop right in without removing any wood? How are the stock pickups?

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
It's more of a dark purple, at least mine is, I think when pics are taken with a flash the purple comes out lighter on the pic than it really is. And yes, the wood grain is visible as with the green one.

Awesome! Thanks man. Im ordering it 2mar morn then.

82DMC12

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Last week I received a "demo" JP70 from SweetWater. It came with the gig bag and full warranty, looks like brand new.

Only complaints -

1. No documentation from MM with it. Sweetwater says demos don't come with Doc's sometimes. I emailed Sterling and they said none of their guitars come with manuals... Is there any booklet that explains features, setup, etc? I mean I know how to do most everything but I figure there would be a booklet of same kind.

2. Upper frets on the highest strings feel a bit scratchy like they aren't polished well. Normally I would remove the strings, tape over the fretboard, and use light oil with 0000 steel wool. Is that the best way to get it done?

Other than that, I'm OK with the pickups for now and plays very well!

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Last week I received a "demo" JP70 from SweetWater. It came with the gig bag and full warranty, looks like brand new.

Only complaints -

1. No documentation from MM with it. Sweetwater says demos don't come with Doc's sometimes. I emailed Sterling and they said none of their guitars come with manuals... Is there any booklet that explains features, setup, etc? I mean I know how to do most everything but I figure there would be a booklet of same kind.

2. Upper frets on the highest strings feel a bit scratchy like they aren't polished well. Normally I would remove the strings, tape over the fretboard, and use light oil with 0000 steel wool. Is that the best way to get it done?

Other than that, I'm OK with the pickups for now and plays very well!

Yes, the JP70s have did not have any kind of booklet or manual either.
You can find some info on set-up on the Sterling by MM website, though.

progman

Reaction score
Hey guys...I have the satin black one from GC and the finish is driving me crazy. I have had it for 5 days and parts of the guitar are already starting to become glossy. I was thinking about just making the entire guitar semi-glossy. I have heard of people do this pretty simply with matte Martin stuff. Any idea how to this specifically with the JP's finish? Or a way to reverse the glossing? If I can't to either, I may just end up returning it to GC. I am not going spend more money to get the purple or green either. I guess I will have to look elsewhere.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I maintained my RGD2127z's Satin Finish pretty well for the time I had it, I just made sure to wipe down the entire guitar with a micro-fibre cloth everytime I was done playing it. I had no glossing after the 3-4 months I had it and playing it constantly, if you want to gloss the entire body and finish the job, you can do it with a buffing machine pretty easily. I've heard Toothpaste works to turn satin to gloss as well, I've never tried it myself but if you're serious go ahead and grab a tube of Colgate! :lol:

progman

Reaction score
3 months is not that long a period of time. I plan keeping the guitar for a long time and it will be my main guitar. It is already starting to gloss, so it may already be too late. I don't doubt the toothpaste idea, but I don't want to try it myself. I wouldn't mind spending a little money if it will look good.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
3 months is not that long a period of time. I plan keeping the guitar for a long time and it will be my main guitar. It is already starting to gloss, so it may already be too late. I don't doubt the toothpaste idea, but I don't want to try it myself. I wouldn't mind spending a little money if it will look good.

Well compared to the 5 days you're getting, I used that as a comparison. It's inevitable on these kinds of finishes, so unless you plan on going through with the glossy look, or refinishing it in the future. Just return it and get a guitar with a finish you like!

progman

Reaction score
Anybody know how this year's jp7 and the jp70's neck profiles compare? I was thinking about buying and older (2008) non piezo jp7. But, when I went to play and older new jp7 at Guitar Center last night, I found the neck to be significantly more rounded than my jp70. So much so that I am probably not going to buy an older jp7. Are the newer model JP7 as thin and as D shaped as the jp70?

revivalmode

Reaction score
So, are these guitars worth to buy? I've been GAS'ing over a possible new 7 string for months and I can't find a decent one in the mid price range that looks as great as these and is also 25"5 scale, which I prefer.

Should I go for it or not? I live in Europe and I noticed they're FAR more expensive here than in USA though , I have to pay 850€-950€ which is almost double the price of one in the USA.

')