JP70 Sterling By Music Man Owners' Club

lukeshallperish

Total Gear Slut
Reaction score
So, are these guitars worth to buy? I've been GAS'ing over a possible new 7 string for months and I can't find a decent one in the mid price range that looks as great as these and is also 25"5 scale, which I prefer.

Should I go for it or not? I live in Europe and I noticed they're FAR more expensive here than in USA though , I have to pay 850€-950€ which is almost double the price of one in the USA.

They are great guitars. In the US at least, they are very much worth their price. So for you, with them costing what they do, you could look for a used one, wait for a used one on here or decide if its worth it to you to buy one at full price new. I've had two and they are really very nice mid range guitars. they come with some features that most guitars in their range wont have.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
So, are these guitars worth to buy? I've been GAS'ing over a possible new 7 string for months and I can't find a decent one in the mid price range that looks as great as these and is also 25"5 scale, which I prefer.

Should I go for it or not? I live in Europe and I noticed they're FAR more expensive here than in USA though , I have to pay 850€-950€ which is almost double the price of one in the USA.

These are awesome guitars. I love my JP70s. I installed DiMarzio PUs in two of them, but the stock PU don't sound bad either IMO.

revivalmode

Reaction score
These are awesome guitars. I love my JP70s. I installed DiMarzio PUs in two of them, but the stock PU don't sound bad either IMO.

I see you're from the Netherlands, where did you ordered one? Did you shipped one over from the USA or did you just paid a bit extra and bought one in Europe?

I'm always a bit 'scared' to buy a guitar that cheap, I always think immediately that there must be some flaws but I don't even have a 7 string and I desperately want one.
I would have had one already if I didn't bought a Mayones Setius Pro 6 a month ago. I just wanted to have a decent 6 string first before moving on too a new 7 string :lol:

And yes, I've heard that the stock pickups aren't that great but I always go for BKP's anyway, in any of my new guitars. If decent pickups will make it sound like a great guitar, then I'll go for it!
And lastly, how does the neck feel, I assume it's a pretty thin neck, isn't it?

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I see you're from the Netherlands, where did you ordered one? Did you shipped one over from the USA or did you just paid a bit extra and bought one in Europe?

I'm always a bit 'scared' to buy a guitar that cheap, I always think immediately that there must be some flaws but I don't even have a 7 string and I desperately want one. I would have had one already if I didn't bought a Mayones Setius Pro 6 a month ago. I just wanted to have a decent 6 string first before moving on too a new 7 string :lol:

I bought two JP70s from a Dutch dealer, and I bought a Stealth Black one in the US last summer while I was there and brought it back with me.

revivalmode

Reaction score
Funny thing is my sister actually lives in San Luis Obispo, California where Music Man headquarters is, haha.

Anyway thanks for the advice so far, if I have one, you'll hear from me in this topic but first I need to decide whether I go for the pearly white (pearl white version seems to be me limited edition?) or the stealth black one :lol:

Santuzzo

Reaction score
And yes, I've heard that the stock pickups aren't that great but I always go for BKP's anyway, in any of my new guitars. If decent pickups will make it sound like a great guitar, then I'll go for it!
And lastly, how does the neck feel, I assume it's a pretty thin neck, isn't it?

I actually think the stock PUs are quite good sounding, I like them.
The DiMarzios I installed sound better, but on my purple JP70 where I left the stock PUs, I just installed a coil split, and it sounds nice!

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Anybody know how this year's jp7 and the jp70's neck profiles compare? I was thinking about buying and older (2008) non piezo jp7. But, when I went to play and older new jp7 at Guitar Center last night, I found the neck to be significantly more rounded than my jp70. So much so that I am probably not going to buy an older jp7. Are the newer model JP7 as thin and as D shaped as the jp70?
The radii have been....
Maj/JP13 = 17 Inch

I think the 12 was 20 inch and the 11 was 15 inch... maybe I have them switched....

IDK

Guitars

You can see the radii and specs for all of the instruments here annnnd just compare it to yours.

Lower radius # = rounder, higher = flatter.

kyrthon

Reaction score
I have a green JP70 on order from Sweetwater. They wont get a shipment in until March 4, so a little wait, but I've been gassing for one of these for right at a year now......can barely wait!!

kyrthon

Reaction score
Well, today, the shipment got pushed back to early April, so I switched to a purple one. Should be here by the end of the week.. Cant wait!!

charlessalvacion

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im also interested in purchasing a JP70 someday. But Im not decided yet because of some issues that I read about the trem on this thread My JP6's knife edges look terrible! See pics... [Archive] - John Petrucci Forums

Some questions:

1. How is the trem holding up on the JP70?

2. Has anyone tried replacing the stock trem with something not from Sterling or Ernie Ball? Maybe like an aftermarket trem.

Thanks a lot!

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im also interested in purchasing a JP70 someday. But Im not decided yet because of some issues that I read about the trem on this thread My JP6's knife edges look terrible! See pics... [Archive] - John Petrucci Forums

Some questions:

2. Has anyone tried replacing the stock trem with something not from Sterling or Ernie Ball? Maybe like an aftermarket trem.

Thanks a lot!

The trems on my JP70s are fine and working well so far. But I have only had one of them for a bit less than a year and the other ones even less than that.
Initially I thought tuning stability was ok and I figured sincr this is more of a traditional style trem, it was not supposed to stay in tune with dive bombs, etc.
BUT Mordacain on this forum posted some great advice on improving the tuning stability on a traditional style trem and I followed his advice and lubed the nut and the saddles with a bit of vaseline and graphite and tuning stability is so much better now. WOW! I can even do dive bombs and tuning is almost 100% on after.
I only did this to one of my JP70s so far, will do it on the other ones as well, though.

Reaction score
new here , first post , hope I can help :)))
I have one MM jp6, one MM LUKE, a 4 days old :)) SBMM JP100D and today I am expecting my SBMM JP 70 :D

1. you can not compare this tremolos to a floyd rose. but if you are not into insane stuff, this tremolos are great. stay in tune ok and changing strings is fast as hell :))
the chipping of in that thread may be only the surface chrome, because that base plate is steel as far as I know
very important what has been already stated: using some lubricant on the nut and friction points - between the 2 pivots and that base plate - is esential, major improvement in tunning stability . these companies should include this as minimum instruction shipped with the guitar.
I use "guitar grease" STEWMAC.COM : Guitar Grease
looks small, but I bought it 3 years ago and it's barely scratched on the surface :))
2. I will be interested in this subject too, since the only thing I dislike in my Sterling JP is how the tremolo arm is tighten with that small screw. the tremolo arm on the JP is a pop in type

Hi guys,
Some questions:

Thanks a lot!

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I use "guitar grease" STEWMAC.COM : Guitar Grease
looks small, but I bought it 3 years ago and it's barely scratched on the surface :))
2. I will be interested in this subject too, since the only thing I dislike in my Sterling JP is how the tremolo arm is tighten with that small screw. the tremolo arm on the JP is a pop in type

Welcome to the forum ! :)

Thanks for that link for guitar-grease. looks interesting.

I would have to agree, the way the trem arm is adjusted with a little screw is not great IMO. I have to re-tighten it after just a few minutes if I use the trem arm. It won't keep fixating the trem arm after usage...

Reaction score

Suho

Guitar Guardian
Contributor
Reaction score
I have the JP70D coming in a few days (pearl white finish w/ CL/LF pups). I'm generally more of an Ibanez guy but willing to give everything a chance. I've wanted to try one of these for a while, and the white finish just kind of tipped the scales.

Reaction score
Made the long drive to the store yesterday, and brought home my PWH!

Lost my job last year, and had to part with my JP60, so it's only fitting that this beautiful, and rare one take it's place.

')