JPXI case advice...

TheArsonistsDaughter

Reaction score
So the JPXI that I picked up a few weeks ago has quickly become my main guitar. In the course of dragging it back and forth from practice, I've decided I'd like to swap out the case. The BFR case that came with it is quite nice, but I'd like to upgrade to a plastic case that I'm less worried about getting scratched and scuffed up, is water resistant (for rainy/snowy load ins/outs), and has a bit more space in it for cable/strap/strings/tool storage. EBMM has a standard SKB style case that I could grab, but I'm thinking about spending a bit more for one of these heavy duty SKB flight cases:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/SKB/AT....gc?pfm=search_page.rr1|RecentHistoricalItems

I've also looked at the Gator Titan but it looks like they only have model specific versions...Les Paul, Strat/Tele, PRS...

Does anyone have one of these cases? And in needle in a haystack area...anyone with a EBMM JP 7 string have one? :dio:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unless you're touring, and hundreds of miles at that, flight cases are a big, heavy and expensive waste. Just grab the basic molded plastic hardshell.

I say that as someone who has the EBMM molded case with a JP7 for almost 10 years now. Solid case.

JSanta

Reaction score
I've had two EBMM JP's that came with the case you linked to. I think EBMM has some of the best cases that come with their guitars over almost any other manufacturer. No question I'd go with one of theirs for your JP.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
Good advice. If there's any touring in our future it will be of the few days regional variety, so heavier duty case may be overkill. But I do kind of gravitate toward overkill...lol

This is the one you have, correct?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Ernie-Ball-Music-Man/5983-Hardshell-Guitar-Case.gc

I'm probably about 70% leaning toward this one over the flight case...

The music man cases are super solid, but for a little more security you could always look into a hiscox case for a bit more $$$ I dont know if the music man cases have a weight rating but hiscox guarantees theirs to handle 500kg. And I think they're actually lighter than the music man case.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The molded music man cases are great. Much. Enter protection than the BFR case. They even have a cutout so you can leave the trem bar in. One time when I had to ship one of my BFR’s to EBMM for a warranty repair they actually recommended that I ship it in one of my molded cases rather than the BFR case.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
So I went to my local GC today, asked them to look up the cases I was interested in and by a miracle, they had a clearance EBMM case for $99 and they knocked another 15% off of it because it was scratch/dent. Score!

That’s a fucking steal!

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The music man cases are super solid, but for a little more security you could always look into a hiscox case for a bit more $$$ I dont know if the music man cases have a weight rating but hiscox guarantees theirs to handle 500kg. And I think they're actually lighter than the music man case.

An EBMM won’t fit as well in a Hiscox, therefore it won’t protect as well.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The molded music man cases are great. Much. Enter protection than the BFR case. They even have a cutout so you can leave the trem bar in. One time when I had to ship one of my BFR’s to EBMM for a warranty repair they actually recommended that I ship it in one of my molded cases rather than the BFR case.

I doubt the BFR cases are less protecting than the molded ones.

They're just a heck of a lot more delicate on the outside, as far as scuffing or showing signs of wear and tear.

I have 20+ year old UV1000C cases which are extremely similar in construction to the BFR cases and even though the outside is torn and looks like trash, the case is still structurally solid and the guitars are plenty safe inside.

I'm sure EBMM just didn't want to risk something happening to the case.

It would have been cool if they did what Fender did in the 80's and ship a nylon "jacket" for thier leather/faux leather cases. :lol:

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The G&G cases allow more movement and are less protective than the molded cases. I have had guitars get damaged in those cases in shipping.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
They fit all my super strat shapes just fine, they have cushions to prevent guitars from moving.

Hiscox cases are great, but I see no reason to spend more on a universal case that fits ok when he can get a great case that was made to fit his guitar for less.

')