Jsx, jcm 800, jcm 900, legacy, 5150 which amp?

bklixuz

Reaction score
will be buying a new amp.
I play thrash, satch, vais, fender cleans etc.
looking for the most versatile amp for these amps:
jsx, jcm 800, jcm 900, legacy 1, 5150 and these are only my options.
which on these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blackrobedone

Reaction score
JSX is a little too fat and furry to be thrashy perhaps (I'm crawling under my desk now waiting for the fallout to that one). The JCM 900 is a definite no - it sounds harsh and brittle. 5150 isn't versatile.

JCM 2000 is in the same price range.

The Rocktron Prophesy 2 will eat any of those amps alive for tone and versatility.

Reaction score
JSX is a little too fat and furry to be thrashy perhaps (I'm crawling under my desk now waiting for the fallout to that one). The JCM 900 is a definite no - it sounds harsh and brittle. 5150 isn't versatile.

JCM 2000 is in the same price range.

The Rocktron Prophesy 2 will eat any of those amps alive for tone and versatility.

JSX....fat? Honestly compared to other amps it's on the thin side, which makes it pretty tight and good for thrash stuff. It can be a little too round if that's what you mean but that can be dialed out.

irolis

Reaction score
Eric Peterson from testament uses a 5150 I think?
His cleans are great too!

Hammy

Sevenstringer
Reaction score
5150 III!

Have been playing around on one and actually found it way way way more versatile then say, the 5150 II. The Clean channel is a no-nonsense Fender clean if you'd ask me. Turn the gain past 12 o' clock and you're into bluesy creamy OD. Channel two picks up where channel one left. From the more overdriven sounds all the way into metal territories gainwise. Some people have commented that channel two hasn't got the balls to do metal well. I think these people don't really make that much sense to me since there's plenty gain on tap on channel two, while not making it muddy nor undefined. If you really really really don't think it's enough for ya, try the old OD pedal. Though I think that channel two on this amp is tight enough (it's not overly-gained, imo). Channel three is a full-on lead channel, accidently capable of producing the ol' classic beefy 5150 sounds we've all been listening to all these years, though with a twist. It's actually more organic sounding on it's own, with a little bit more sparkly top-end if you'd ask me. This can be easily dialed out, and again, putting a boost in front of this amp will clean up and tighten the distortion even further.

I was really really really genuinly impressed with this amp! It's everything the originals had to offer + more usable smooth crunch and Fender cleans (this amp is BUILT by Fender, respectivly ;))

I'm actually waiting for my amp to arrive

bklixuz

Reaction score
hey thanks for your input on the 5150III but my budget is no where near that amp.
so far many votes on the jsx.

but how about jsx or boogie dc3?

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
Boogie? nah

JSeX or a 5150II with 5751 in V6 for nice clean clean sound.

matty2fatty

Reaction score
I love my jsx, and I love playing thrash, so I don't see a problem!

If you're really unsure I can do a quick webcam demo for you

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
wasn't the Mesa Mark III used on a lot of "Thrash" ?
you could find a used one for the same price as a JSX (I've had both, I like the Mark III better and I was a huge JSX fanboy).

Last edited:

bklixuz

Reaction score
I love my jsx, and I love playing thrash, so I don't see a problem!

If you're really unsure I can do a quick webcam demo for you

that's so kind of you sir but I already have no doubt on how the JSX sounds.

thanks so much for your replies guys!
JSX w000t!

')