JSX vs. Engl 530

• Thread starter grants
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

grants

Reaction score
I currently have a JSX that I am pretty satisfied with. However, after hearing some lips of the 530, it has certainly got me curious.

Has anyone had any experience in comparing the two?

Owners of the 530; what the pro's and cons? How does it stack up to
amps like a Dual Recto (personally NOT a fan), 5150, JSX, etc? (Yes, i know this is a pre-amp)

There is a monetary advantage it seems in that if I sell my JSX I would be able to purchase both the 530 and a good power amp with the way the market is currently for the JSX.

However, I have not had the chance to play the 530 in person and am only relying off clips, which is not a very good indicator.

Basically, I don't want to sacrifice tone if this trade were to become a reality.

What is everyone's opinions and or thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Engl versus the JSX? Pardon me while a get a good seat for this.

I will say I heard a clip of the preamp you're talking about and it was amazing, but I've never heard it in a live setting.

First off..how are you setting up the JSX? I've had mine for quite some time now and everytime I think I'm tired of it and I want to move on, it does something to earn it's keep and it's still my only amp. A lot of times all you need is a tube change or something minor to give you something new to try. That amp is very versatile in it's onboard options alone, pair with different tubes and speakers and whatnot and you've got quite some time to really exhaust it's possibilities

grants

Reaction score
Oh, I totally agree. I do very much like my JSX and stated that in my message. But my rig is getting quite cumbersome and I was thinking in "downsizing" by bringing only a cab, rack and pedalboard to shows. The E530 is a rad amp from what I have heard, although I do not have any first hand experience with it, and it is rack.. which fits my 'spacial' needs.

Believe it or not, the channels on my JSX have been buggin' me lately as well. I used to think I had enough gain coming out of my JSX only to find out that my GSP2101 was boosting it up like a pedal (I had the output higher on the GSP2101). I tried the head dry and was disappointed at the gain, even with the effects loop knob turned up and some lead playing on the FX loop. I know a simple OD pedal in front could solve, but if I could get what I wanted out of the ENGL had and have it rack seems like a win/win.

Currently I'm running my pedal board into the GSP2101, into EQ, into JSX, out to cab. I don't know if that's a questionable setup or not. I did not have much luck with the GSP2101 in the effects loop I believe.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a 5150II and Mark IV in his rig, he tried a e530 through a vht 2/50/2 and said it was uninspiring, hope that helps you in some way. :p

grants

Reaction score
Alright, just went back and tested my JSX dry. Wasn't disappointed with the gain actually, maybe it was just a bad tone day.

DrakkarTyrannis, what is your setup with the JSX concerning effects and what not? I have a Wah, Echo Park, Phase Shifter (all pedal board), EQ, Wireless, GSP2101, Noise Supressor (all rack).

In which order should I arrange this stuff? Also, should I put the GSP2101 in the loop?

Reaction score
Actually I found that the JSX has just enough gain...BUT here's the trick.

All I run is a noise suppressor and a Coffin Blood Drive as a boost. Whereas for my style (extreme metal) I'd dime the crunch channels's gain without a boost, with the boost I turn it to 3-4 because the Blood Drive dirties up the signal even with the gain off which I love. That front end kick in the ass really helps the amp and I can get a great mix of gain yet the clear tone that running the gain low on the JSX gets.

The XXX has way more gain than the JSX, yet you can't really use it all. The JSX seems low gain but has enough gain for sane applications and it's made to work well with pedals, so the low gain helps when using a boost that applies gain. The trick is the balance between the two.

I used to run a 10 band EQ in the loop but since tube changes and better cabs and whatnot I don't use it anymore.

Now I'm not one for a lot of effects but wahs, volume pedals, and distortion pedals I believe work best in the front of the amp. EQ's and noise suppressors depend on where you like them. Keep in mind with those effects, putting it in the loop with change the characterists of the actual amp..in the front will change your guitar's interaction with the front of the amp. I feel EQ's work best in the loop. Wireless in the front for sure. GSP I don't have much experience with so unfortunately I can't help you there, but I would THINK the effects loop.

grants

Reaction score
Right on. Okay, I just thew the GSP2101 (which I was just using as an FX processor) into the loop and it seems to be doing okay.

By Dime'ing the crunch channel, what settings is that?
Also, do you run your OD on the ultra? just crunch? both?

renzoip

I Am the Table
Reaction score
Hey dude!

I own an Engl E530. I have owned a 5150II in the past and played the JSX extensively. I must say my favorite is still the Engl E530. I must say that the power amp you use with it will make a drastic difference in your tone IMO. I use mine with a Mesa 2:100 and I get a great tone for what I play (prog/power metal). The JSX is versatile and you can make it sound great but it is centainly not voiced for extreme metal. The 5150II is awesome for metal but I did not find it veratile since it lacked a good clean channel and a solo boost. I also thought it was noisy. I( toally recommend the E530 with a good power amp! :yesway:

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
I agree with renzoip. Peavey can be metal (crunch, crisp) but 530 with a good poweramp is a bomb! I mean, it all depends what you like but engl 530 is ultra djenty, tight and metallic.
Pros: you can put everything you need in one case
cons: rack equipment is expensive

Listen to first 2 songs of my band on E.N.D. [album is OUT!] on MySpace Music
I recorded that through Blackjack C-7 -> ENGL 530 -> gate -> equalizer - SOLID STATE POWERAMP :eek: and Behringer cab :eek: :eek:

Fionn

Reaction score
i'm running my 530 direct without a power amp and cab and its nice but its a bit lacking (duh obviously a power amp and cab!!!), tone wise i find it a bit dark! currently with EMG 707s i have it set bass 2oclock low mid 9oclock him mid and treble 1oclockish

Listen to first 2 songs of my band on E.N.D. [album is OUT!] on MySpace Music
I recorded that through Blackjack C-7 -> ENGL 530 -> gate -> equalizer - SOLID STATE POWERAMP and Behringer cab

i'm loving this, i might have to not sell and get a decent power amp and cab...
arrrrg now i'm confused this is the tone i'm looking for, you know it might be the guitar, what pickups are in the blackjack?

also whats used on pointless? thats tone rocks too!

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
i'm running my 530 direct without a power amp and cab and its nice but its a bit lacking (duh obviously a power amp and cab!!!), tone wise i find it a bit dark! currently with EMG 707s i have it set bass 2oclock low mid 9oclock him mid and treble 1oclockish

i'm loving this, i might have to not sell and get a decent power amp and cab...
arrrrg now i'm confused this is the tone i'm looking for, you know it might be the guitar, what pickups are in the blackjack?

also whats used on pointless? thats tone rocks too!

my eq does quite of a job in my sound. But thats mostly because of the SS poweramp I used to use. Now, with tube poweramp the eq curve is less expressed.

Stock Blackjack pickup is Duncan JB, but I rewound it so its a bit tighter, less harsher and more air to it. Now I use Lundgren M7 (king of pickups IMHO)

On "pointless" its a totally different story. LTD Viper 100FM with EMG81 (18V) and some shitty borrowed Huges and Kettner. Not the sound I wanted on that song.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I don't think the JSX has a very tight sound, especially in the low end.
I think the Engl will improve on that.
In fact, I've been a fan of Satriani's for many years, but in my opinion his tone went downhill considerably since he started using the JSX. The other day I was watching a recent live performance of old songs like Crushing Day and Ice 9, and his tone was pretty appalling, especially in the lower range, very fuzzy, lack of definition. Nowhere near as good as in the old days. Listen to his tone on the old Dreaming #11 EP (he also plays Ice 9 there)... That tone was just fantastic. But today's tone? Geez, it's even worse than Petrucci.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
My JSX, the way it's set up, was tigher then Art's Powerball ;).

if you want to downsize, put your pedalboard into a rack w/ the other rack stuff (get a drawer), and then you still carry a rack, head, cab. done.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I have no experience with the JSX so I can not comment on the comparison but it is no secret I like my E530 and I added a review recently in the review section.

The E530 is very versatile and can do Metal great but on its own I find it lacking for leads, I think to get the most out of it you will have to experiment with some pedals or EQ anyway. i don't know if I would call it downsizing as you will be losing a head but gaining a much bigger rack but since you already have a GSP2101 I think that and the E530 would be an awesome combo and you might get away with not needing any other pedals or EQ.

Reaction score
Well, I don't think the JSX has a very tight sound, especially in the low end.
I think the Engl will improve on that.
In fact, I've been a fan of Satriani's for many years, but in my opinion his tone went downhill considerably since he started using the JSX. The other day I was watching a recent live performance of old songs like Crushing Day and Ice 9, and his tone was pretty appalling, especially in the lower range, very fuzzy, lack of definition. Nowhere near as good as in the old days. Listen to his tone on the old Dreaming #11 EP (he also plays Ice 9 there)... That tone was just fantastic. But today's tone? Geez, it's even worse than Petrucci.

Ever played a JSX? They are very very tight amps..so much so that boosting it to tighten the low end really isn't needed, I use the boost to thicken it and add a little gain.

But as for what I use a boost for, I keep it on all the time for all channels, even the cleans because I like a dirty ambient clean. The crunch channel's gain I keep at between 3-4 with a boost. When I'm not using the boost I dime the gain on the crunch channel.

I do agree..the JSX wasn't really meant for metal so it's an acquired taste. That's the reason I like it.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
for the record, "dime" means to put it to 10 or max it out :yesway:

grants

Reaction score
Thanks guys, there is some valuable info here in the thread.

I guess I can only make up a conclusion when I try the head out for myself

Problem is, there are no ENGL dealers near where I am (that I am aware of). I am currently in La Mirada, California.

As for the GSP2101, i'm pretty sure it is only a pre-amp and not a power amp, am I correct? or can it do both? in which case I would not have to buy a power amp.

As for the pedals in the rack, that kind of defeats my ability to stomp on them when I am playing. If I want an effect to be happening, I don't want to go over to my rack, stop playing, open up the drawer and press down on a pedal. That just seems so inconvenient without a guitar tech?

I tend to agree about the JSX not being "tight" per say. I would say that's one of the characteristics of the sound of the amp, however, or at least the way it is voiced. I only notice it if I compare it to the tone of another amp. By itself, I think it gets the job done for the most part (but obviously not fully satisfied as I created this thread!)

For those with the E530, do you have any youtube clips? Can you make any with a thorough demonstration of the amp? There are a few clips out there, but most just rock the nitty gritty channel and demo some shredding. I have yet to see one with the full range of tonal possibilities being displayed as well as the differences between active and passive pickups when playing this amp.

Any comments about the kind of shared EQ on the E530? As far as the cleans and the dirty's.

Fionn

Reaction score
Any comments about the kind of shared EQ on the E530? As far as the cleans and the dirty's.

the EQs are seperate, 3 band for clean 4 band for gain, having 4 bands is kinda nice.

its not that loud the guitar strings are a bit loud (camera was close to git...)

I can do some better ones but it'll have to wait till next week now!!!

grants

Reaction score
the EQs are seperate, 3 band for clean 4 band for gain, having 4 bands is kinda nice.

its not that loud the guitar strings are a bit loud (camera was close to git...)

I can do some better ones but it'll have to wait till next week now!!!

Thanks for the clip. However, I can't tell if the tone has been tampered with due to the gear you're running.

')