Judging people by music?

• Thread starter flexkill
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
I really find that people that are open to my music and appreciative of the art are people that I can get along with pretty well. It doesn't matter really what genres they are into, it coukd be pop or theater music for all I care. Lately I've found I can find virtues in most music anyways so when simething comes up I don't like I try to understand what they other person means and as long as it isn't empty it's all good.

With that being said... if someone has no real apreciation for music I won't bring up music and may go so far as 'loose contact' but I think it's more to do with the kind of person that doesn't connect with music as an art form sits on a different level then I do so crossing that barrier can be tricky.

Murmel

Reaction score
With that being said... if someone has no real apreciation for music I won't bring up music and may go so far as 'loose contact' but I think it's more to do with the kind of person that doesn't connect with music as an art form sits on a different level then I do so crossing that barrier can be tricky.

This. I don't however see them being on another level, just having other interests.

pink freud

Reaction score
I instantly ask them how much they know about music theory hahahaha. The answer is always no.

Well, generally I'd hope that people with an IQ above fifty would know that questions beginning with "How much" generally don't end with "Yes" or "No" answers.

Overtone

Reaction score
Some people don't even really listen to music. I know at least three people who don't have any CD's in their cars and 2 out of the 3 don't even turn on their car radios. They also don't listen to music at home. It's baffling, but I figure that if music is such a low priority to those people then I shouldn't expect many people to like music enough to have good taste in it!

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Might be some loose correlation, but anyone that's taken a statistics class knows you can link snake bites and ice cream sales if you fuck with the numbers enough.

My uncle said it best...

If you torture numbers enough, you can get them to say ANYTHING...

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
I don't judge people by whether or not they like specific genres of music. I judge people by how open they are about different genres. People that generally goes "metal = noise" in a totally biased way I often find to be in lack of manners and tact, as they can not express why something is shit, just bluntly stating it is. Those people I've observed doing that are way more crude and bad-mannered, and same goes for musical elitists. Of course there's exceptions, but it's just a rule of thumb again.

I judge a person positively if they can either show a lack of elitism within metal, a widespread interest in music regardless of genres or a reasoned argument for their dislike in a specified genre beyond "it sounds bad, mkay?".

anunnaki

Don't even play 7's
Reaction score
Don't really care what music people listen to really as long as they don't subject me to crappy music. But my best friends listen to most of the same music as me.

Semichastny

Reaction score
I usually tell people I listen to Korn and asking alexandiria because all the pretentious assholes will leave me alone.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^Do you make a distinction between rap and hip hop? A rapper and an MC?

It might be pretentious for me to do so, but allow me to provide and example...

Rapper: Lil Wayne
MC: Mos Def

Dig?

EDIT: To clarify, I see hip hop more as a lifestyle/state of mind in which rapping is an element. Some focus on just this element and exploit it for the purpose of making money w/o including any sort of substance.

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
^Do you make a distinction between rap and hip hop? A rapper and an MC?

It might be pretentious for me to do so, but allow me to provide and example...

Rapper: Lil Wayne
MC: Mos Def

Dig?

I do make a distinction between genres that have different names ;)

Call me a racist (I don't give a damn, as I am half black) but I am sure black people worldwide would get more respect if they didn't adhere to a culture that promotes violence, sexism, stupidity, ignorance and a gangsta attitude. That's why I dislike rap music and people who think it's k3wL to listen to it and live by it.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I do make a distinction between genres that have different names ;)

Call me a racist (I don't give a damn, as I am half black) but I am sure black people worldwide would get more respect if they didn't adhere to a culture that promotes violence, sexism, stupidity, ignorance and a gangsta attitude. That's why I dislike rap music and people who think it's k3wL to listen to it and live by it.

I think you posted this prior to my edit... ;)

And I knew my edit would be necessary... :lol:

There's a prodigious difference between hip hop culture and mainstream/gangsta rap, but they unfortunately have a lot in common.

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
What I don't understand (and I wish someone would enlighten me) is the fact that both hip hop and rap are very popular among ethnic minorities in the West. Here in Germany we don't have many "black" rappers/hoppers. We do have Turkish and Arab ones. I wonder why these guys choose to rap and not, say, start rock bands or pursue a career as pop singers. Why would these two genres appeal to people that are at the lowest step of the social pyramid?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Hip hop...

Lyrical skills and it's all fun...

Rap... Ignorance in it's more lucrative form...

')