Jumping from 6 to 8

skymonster

Reaction score
people say that jumping from a 6 string to a 8 is/was crazy.why? i didn't fined it that hard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayn

Reaction score
No fuckin' worries, mate. I've had harder experiences playing a different six-string. They're all different instruments and they all take time to get used to.

skymonster

Reaction score
ya lot of people where saying its hard its hard it herts you'r hand mine was a little sore i had really no prob tho

espman

Is beardless....
Reaction score
Every time I hear someone say that I think of what (I think) Max said, "you went from 0-6 strings, going from 6-8 should be no problem".

skymonster

Reaction score
The only prob I have is trying to come up with rifts I can come up with some takes me a while tho

Brohoodofsteel75

Reaction score
The only prob I have is trying to come up with rifts I can come up with some takes me a while tho

You'll eventually get used to it. Cover some 6 & 7 string songs to get used to it quicker. Pretty soon it'll feel like you're missing strings on you 6 or 7 and you'll really appreciate the extra range, trust me i was just chugging on f# and E for a few months.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
Its really not as extreme as people think. The first time I played my 8 my only thought was "omfg wtf have i bought, I'm never gonna play this," but then I got used to it and love it! The trick is just play regular 6 string stuff on it to get used to the neck, once you're ready you can start adding more strings to your playing, I also found that this approach helps a lot with composition and helps avoid endless chugging on the F#.

Hope that was helpful! :)

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
My transition from 6 to 7 wasnt exactly "crazy" either. The first few days i was like "i dunno if i like this thing. Im not sure how much ill play this". After a while i got used to it, but after about a year i really started to fall in love with it. Now i play my 7 string the most out of all my guitars even for songs that only require a 6.

Im confident that at this point i can tackle an 8 with little to no trouble. The times that i played one i didnt find it taxing at all.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Been there, done that. Most people saying it's hard actually never tried :lol:

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Going from 6 to 7 felt really natural for me. It really only took me about 5 minutes to adjust and start writing. I have not played an 8 yet but i'd like too.

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Its really not as extreme as people think. The first time I played my 8 my only thought was "omfg wtf have i bought, I'm never gonna play this," but then I got used to it and love it! The trick is just play regular 6 string stuff on it to get used to the neck, once you're ready you can start adding more strings to your playing, I also found that this approach helps a lot with composition and helps avoid endless chugging on the F#.

:agreed:

That is exactly the same approach that I have taken. Being a metal guy, I'm still doing a bit of chugging on the low strings, but I have been playing it a lot as a six string and then dropping chord progressions down an octave here and there to see how it sounds.

I didn't own a 7 string either - always kinda wanted one, but when 8 strings became commercially available I knew I wanted to try one. I don't know if it's just even number OCD or something on my part, but 8 seems to make more sense to me than 7.

The transition has been MUCH easier than I expected, and I don't have huge hands either.

sleightest

Reaction score
i did it. Its not bad at all. Also keep in mind its a fun transition as it just involves you playing guitar!!! I switch between my 6 and 8 everyday now. Its done nothing but help my 6 string playing and the more I play my 8 the better i get.

Compton

Reaction score
I went from a 6 to an 8 (RGA8) and I actually loved the feel of the 8 over the 6, after a few hours of playing and going back to my 6 it felt like a baby toy o_O

')