Just a thought...

• Thread starter Wyldefan916
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wyldefan916

Reaction score
With all of these multi-fx out there on the market, such as the GSP1101, the Axe-FX 1, 2 and Ultra, is it really necessary then to have a high-quality Half-Stack or Power-amp? I mean especially if the processor really nails the sound of a specific amp you like with more adjustability, wouldn't a cheaper half-stack work fine? The thought I was having was getting a GSP1101, not an Axe-FX but it'll do great, and just running like a Randall RX120RH half-stack (same price as the GSP lol). Is there a reason though that guys run higher end rigs (ie ENGL or Marshall) with a processor rather than a cheaper setup like the Randall?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
With all of these multi-fx out there on the market, such as the GSP1101, the Axe-FX 1, 2 and Ultra, is it really necessary then to have a high-quality Half-Stack or Power-amp? I mean especially if the processor really nails the sound of a specific amp you like with more adjustability, wouldn't a cheaper half-stack work fine? The thought I was having was getting a GSP1101, not an Axe-FX but it'll do great, and just running like a Randall RX120RH half-stack (same price as the GSP lol). Is there a reason though that guys run higher end rigs (ie ENGL or Marshall) with a processor rather than a cheaper setup like the Randall?

All cabs don't sound the same. Also, some players like myself get higher end stuff for a few reasons: Sound, size, design and quality of material.
However, I do believe if you can make a cheap cab doable for the setup that you want than more power to you.

Wyldefan916

Reaction score
All cabs don't sound the same. Also, some players like myself get higher end stuff for a few reasons: Sound, size, design and quality of material.
However, I do believe if you can make a cheap cab doable for the setup that you want than more power to you.
I guess I didn't think of the cab quality. I mean I feel like most people that run a multi-fx unit like stated earlier just use the amp head for the power portion, am I right?

Reaction score
I don't understand the question. You're asking why someone would prefer higher-end equipment rather than cheap "good enough" equipment? Or why people with high-end equipment don't use a cheaper modeler instead?

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
People have any number of reasons for using the gear they do.

Maybe they already had the high end stack, and didn't see the point in selling it. Maybe they just think it'll be more reliable than a less expensive option. Maybe they still use the amp tone for some songs or parts of songs, maybe the gear was a gift or has some other sentimental value, maybe they want it as a back up in case the AxeFX goes tits up or some such, and on and on.

All that said, I have been noticing recently that the number of guitar players opting for PA stacks instead of guitar cabs has been increasing. While I'm sure there will always be players who want the time-tested classic gear, I do think there's a shift happening.

Wyldefan916

Reaction score
I don't understand the question. You're asking why someone would prefer higher-end equipment rather than cheap "good enough" equipment? Or why people with high-end equipment don't use a cheaper modeler instead?
In a sense yes to both. I mean some people, like myself, aren't active musicians, but play equipment that IMO break the bank. It's like if you can use something lower-end, that isn't complete and total dog-$hit, and use a processor like stated to get that better tone, why not go this route instead? Sure you could have a decent half-stack for the price of a lower end one with an Axe-FX, but I'm thinking more budget friendly, ie the Randall and GSP.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
In a sense yes to both. I mean some people, like myself, aren't active musicians, but play equipment that IMO break the bank. It's like if you can use something lower-end, that isn't complete and total dog-$hit, and use a processor like stated to get that better tone, why not go this route instead? Sure you could have a decent half-stack for the price of a lower end one with an Axe-FX, but I'm thinking more budget friendly, ie the Randall and GSP.

It's all aesthetics my friend. I love the tonal options of my Mark V that I get. But I could totally see myself having a B rig setup for small SMALL shows or just for portability to any size venue by using a digital system with a single PA cab or just running it through the sound system.

One of the reasons why people get powered PA amps are for a few reasons:

-Digital units have special power amp replication that can make the PA speakers sound like an authentic 412, 212 cab.
-PA powered speakers already have the wattage/decibels that a normal power amp will provide
-Can be much smaller and lighter than a regular cab
-Not all clubs have high quality equipment to rely on having a great sound onstage. Or they don't have enough equipment to know how you sound like.

If anyone can add to this or correct anything, please do so.

CynicEidolon

And still he waits..
Reaction score
If you can't tell the difference between a modeler and the real thing when A/B'd... Train your ear more or give up. Modelers will always get you through a gig but, they don't have the life and dynamics that a "real" amp does. To an extent. Obviously, a Marshall Valvestate doesn't sound as good as an Axe Fx. But, Axe Fx will NEVER sound like my Verellen, Sunn, JVM, or others.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I've tried lots of different digital/modeling gear, and it's always a battle to get even a useable tone out of it. Give me five seconds with a Marshall, and I've got a sound I like.

')