Just finished my first ever EP. (POD HD/Metal Machine)

breadtruck

Reaction score
Hey all. I just thought I'd post this here seeing as how I've enjoyed listening to a few other members' finished work that I found on this board. I just finished work on my first EP. If you have to put it in a genre then I guess it's....instrumental/metal/progressive. I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to recording, so some of you may not like the mix, but the last couple of months I have been throwing together some songs and learning a lot about recording/mixing and such. It sounds okay to my ears at least. I'm still a total beginner, but I'm grateful to be able to create decent sounding songs. (Decent by my standards is anything that isn't recorded with an iPhone mic :) )

I used my lovely Ibanez RG7321 that I coincidentally bought from a member of this forum, tuned to B Standard. I used my POD HD Desktop to record the guitars, Broomstick Bass for the bass, Absynth 4 for the synths, and EZX Metal Machine for the drums. I was originally using the default EZdrummer kit, but some members on here inspired me to get Metal Machine. I know pretty much NOTHING about drum mixing/effects, so a lot of the drum sounds are just defaults. Thankfully Metal Machine still sounds decent right out of the box.

Anyway here's the link:
lewishay.bandcamp.com

Thanks for checking this out. I look forward to hearing more of people's recordings. The people who produce good sounding music from their bedroom are the people who inspire me to continue to get better and work on my mixing and songwriting skills. :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VikingGuitar

Reaction score
Just FYI, your link doesn't work. It goes to Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority., which just reverts back to sevenstring.org. However, I did manually go to your bandcamp and like your stuff. The writing is really good. The mix isn't very punchy, but I don't know if you're going for that or not. Overall, definitely an enjoyable listening experience.

Demon-7

Reaction score
Really cool!! Nice work. Really digging Jupiter :)

breadtruck

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I didn't see these until just now.

Thanks for the heads-up on the broken link. Unfortunately I can't edit that post now for some reason so I'll have to post a link here instead.

http://lewishay.bandcamp.com

I just put it on Soundcloud too so it can be streamed here:

https://soundcloud.com/lewis-hay/sets/synergy-ep

Once again thanks a bunch for the nice comments. :)

osmosis2259

Reaction score
Great job man!
I remember I started a thread when I released an EP a month ago and we were talking about gear because we pretty much have the same stuff.

Great that you kept going and came up with something very good! Some powerful stuff here and I really like your clean/ambient sounds as well :)
You did an excellent job with the mix and you shouldn't call yourself a beginner at all... Congrats

breadtruck

Reaction score
Great job man!
I remember I started a thread when I released an EP a month ago and we were talking about gear because we pretty much have the same stuff.

Great that you kept going and came up with something very good! Some powerful stuff here and I really like your clean/ambient sounds as well :)
You did an excellent job with the mix and you shouldn't call yourself a beginner at all... Congrats

Yes man I remember. :) You were one of the first people to bring my attention to Metal Machine and I loved how it sounded on your EP, so eventually I caved in and got it. :hbang:

')