Just got mah SC-608B Yesterday, 27v modded it today... good god...

• Thread starter Crescent2k6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
I will have pics soon I promise! they just aren't uploaded yet.

So yeah I got my first 8 in the mail yesterday, the ESP SC-608B. It's quite a beautiful guitar, the best way to describe the neck is a flat schecter shape. The idiots over at ESP threw a set of 10's on with a low 68, which is flabby as all hell, but I have a set of 9's with a low 74 on the way. First thing I did was throw on a cotton cliplock strap, and then plugged it into my B-52 AT-100 and B-52 cab loaded with V-30's (also known as a poor mans mesa triple rec). It sounded decent, I couldn't complain but it was nothing special. The 8th string was muddy as can be but I blamed that on the flabby string. Played it all day yesterday and then this morning was in the mall and walked by radio shack, and saw that they had a pack of 5 9v connectors for 2 bucks, and I was like what the heck might as well try the 18v mod. Well after I opened it up and got started i thought as long as i'm in it's guts i might as well add the third battery and go nuts with 27v's. I plugged it in and played a low F# power chord... and the gates of hell opened up lol. It was unbelievably clear, and so powerful, not the dry clippy sound i was used to. It was like my b52 was transformed into 2 Mesa full stacks. I don't know how to describe how amazing the sound is now. Highs are clear and have "emotion", lows are amazingly chunky and deep and clear. It's like someone took a comforter off the front of my amp I love it. I highly recommend trying it it took me about 15 minutes to do and i suck horribly at soldering. Pics soon!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
My my... 'tis a box. I wonder what's inside?
n827420039_691974_3491.jpg
Now that's just a cruel joke, there better not be another box inside this one...
n827420039_691975_3799.jpg
Thank god. Wow that's purty. But it's missing something
n827420039_691976_4062.jpg
Now THAT'S METAL!!:yesway:
n827420039_691977_4347.jpg

daybean

Contributor
Reaction score
fuckin killer axe. i was going to get one of those but i bought another piece of gear.

_Epitaph_

Reaction score
how did u do it with the 27v's? Were the connections already there or did you change something in the electronics to attach the 2cnd and third 9v battery?

angus

Reaction score
how did u do it with the 27v's? Were the connections already there or did you change something in the electronics to attach the 2cnd and third 9v battery?

Just put two more 9V batteries in series with the original battery.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
haha everyones basically answered the questions directed at me for me. Except in response to does it remove the sterile EMG sound, Yes, it removes the STERILE EMG sound, and gives you an open bassy clear EMG sound. Emg's will always sound like emgs this just kills the sterile-ness of them and makes them behave alot more like passives.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
FWIW, although EMG preamps are rated for 27v, they don't recommend going over 18v, because there is no real benefit.

EMG said:
Can I use multiple batteries?
Yes. If you've got room for multiple batteries in your guitar, you can use two batteries wired in series to power your onboard circuitry at 18 volts. The output level will not appreciably increase, but you'll have increased headroom and crisper transients. This is especially useful for percussive/slap bass styles where you can generate enormous instantaneous power levels across the entire frequency spectrum.

You can also wire two batteries in parallel to provide a regular 9 volt supply but with much longer lifespan between battery changes.

Although most of our products are rated for 27 volts, we recommend a maximum of 18 volts. The additional benefits of 27 vs. 18 volts are negligible.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
So...in theory...you could wire up as many batteries in parallel as you want? Would 4 batteries, in parallel wired pairs, wired in series, produce an 18v mod that will take a ridiculously long time to die? :lol: I've had my Hellraiser for well over a year and haven't changed the battery once, not sure how long it had been in there before I bought it :lol:

')