Just got my Roland Cube 30W

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got this yesterday used from a friend who is a studio musician and its in near mint condition. I got it for $150 and let me just say this thing fucking rocks.

Thanks to all the guys who convinced me to get this amp. The rectifier amp on here just blows my skull and is awesome because the louder it gets the fatter it sounds - i guess to emulate the tubes or whatever.

only down side is my rp-80 doesn't get along too well with the amp so I'm going to have to sell it. But i will be getting a boss mt-2 for additional distortion mayhem.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't get a MT-2... that pedal really sucks, IMO. Stay with the cube, and in case you need more gain/distortion, just put a tubescreamer in front.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't get a MT-2... that pedal really sucks, IMO. Stay with the cube, and in case you need more gain/distortion, just put a tubescreamer in front.

:agreed: I would only run a boost in front of that amp if anything. The recto model is pretty good on it's own though! :hbang:

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm. thought an MT-2 would solve my problems. I think the recto amp is nice but its a little too metallica for me. Im more into the korn kinda sound.

I didnt know tube screamers work on SS amps. Interesting. What exactly does a tube screamer do?

Highgain - boost? What exactly do you mean? Sorry - Im a total noob.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
mainly, a boost pedal will slightly cut off your bass and boost certain frequencies, resulting in a tighter and more defined sound. Normally, you would set the distortion-knob on the boost-pedal really low (9'oclock or below) and the level-knob really high (2'oclock or past that). The tone should be at around half or slightly below (10-12'oclock). These are the settings that work for most guys. Of course, the signal you're feeding to the amp will be much hotter now, so that you should lower the gain on the amp.
It is true that tubescreamers might sound like shit with SS amps, but remember that the cube models a tube-amp. When using a pod (or XT) for example, using a boost pedal in front is crucial for getting a tight crunch.
I don't know about korn, though... Their sound isn't very tight, but more mushy and undefined. So i would try another pedal than a tubescreamer for boosting. you could also try using an EQ-pedal like the boss GE7 in front.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is true that tubescreamers might sound like shit with SS amps, but remember that the cube models a tube-amp

Dude - all Cubes are SS. They are not Tube!

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm so glad that you posted this because had you not, I would have!

I myself just got my hand on a Roland Cube... I cant turn the thing past 3 without being obscenely loud in my apartment!

I'm the type of player who NEEDS good tone in order to play well, and this thing does it! I used to keep my Half stack Marshall AVT150H head and Mesa cab at my house for practicing etc, now I keep it at our rehearsal space because I have the cube hahahah

God this sounds like a fuckin commercial lol

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
Any way to get that kinda sound with an MT2?

Probably not, Big Muffs are analog while the MT-2 is all digital circuitry. My vote is, either get the Big Muff or a Rocktron Metal Planet. Its much better sounding than the MT-2 by far. And both are cheaper than that POS Metal Zone.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Fuzz and distortion pedals are two different beasts. Big Muff is a fuzz. Any "metal" pedal is a distortion.

Roland's modeling stuff is indeed top-notch. That's why the GT-6 has been my main tone generator for about 5 years now. One thing that bugs me with the Cube amps is that they don't have an effects loop. They'd be *infinitely* more useful if they did.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Fuzz and distortion pedals are two different beasts. Big Muff is a fuzz. Any "metal" pedal is a distortion.

Roland's modeling stuff is indeed top-notch. That's why the GT-6 has been my main tone generator for about 5 years now. One thing that bugs me with the Cube amps is that they don't have an effects loop. They'd be *infinitely* more useful if they did.

Yeah that's one of my only gripes with it honestly. :agreed: Other than that, a very solid practice amp IMHO. :yesway:

')