Just got my Schecter C7 - String gauge question

• Thread starter Rev2010
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Anyone have the GHS 10-60 set on a trem guitar? I was thinking of throwing them on my 1527, because I want more tension on my low B, even though I'll still tune to standard.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gojira

Reaction score
dpm said:
I am the man :shred:

Try doing a Sean Connery accent and saying this

"Hey baby, why don't you come sit on my face?"

I'm all wet, but my martini's still dry!

Dan - Leave the hall..........

DURBANS

Reaction score
God, do you play nu-metal or hardcore? If so I could understand the really have 0.70 gauge since it's mostly power chords and single notes, but, can you actually palm-mute for a real metal or death metal kinda sound???

Well, I guess, Karl Sanders uses 0.70 for his low A string. But hell, I'm switching the 0.54 of my RG1527 for a 0.52, can't riff and palm mute that well with such think strings.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Kosta, for me it has to be heavy metal, or no metal at all. Here's the warrior of the week from the kingdom of steel........Kalle :shred:
kalle.jpg

Oh, yeah.

Durbans, if your q is for me, I'm not really God, it just seems that way :lol: j/k
I can assure you nu-metal and hardcore aren't in my repertoire, I just find fast runs, palm mutes, sweeps et al much easier on heavier strings, it's just the way I play. It's a real shit when I don't have my guitar with me coz I can barely string two notes together on anyone elses.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
DURBANS said:
God, do you play nu-metal or hardcore?

Well yes, I play Korn 'esque kind of music. But that's not the reason I put 13-70's on my AX7221. I did it because for such a short scale guitar you need to have pretty damn heavy strings and manage to get the intonation right when tuned down to "A". It's not so much a problem on 25.5" or longer but 24.75" is just a tad too short which causes problems. But, I have however moved to slightly lighter strings for the AX7221. I now have 12-66 on it and it's perfect. The tension is just the way I like it and actually, after a thorough truss rod adjustment and lowering the action significantly the guitar can now intonate to "A" with those strings fine. The upper frets need some steel wool sanding down a little though.

Anyhow, like DPM, I also just find fast runs easier on thicker strings as well as I find they're more stable and don't move around to erratically.

Rev.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
DURBANS said:
God, do you play nu-metal or hardcore? If so I could understand the really have 0.70 gauge since it's mostly power chords and single notes, but, can you actually palm-mute for a real metal or death metal kinda sound???

Well, I guess, Karl Sanders uses 0.70 for his low A string. But hell, I'm switching the 0.54 of my RG1527 for a 0.52, can't riff and palm mute that well with such think strings.
I was using a .68 for a B, imo it lacked that unholy kind of tension I so dearly strive for

gojira

Reaction score
dpm said:
Kosta, for me it has to be heavy metal, or no metal at all. Here's the warrior of the week from the kingdom of steel........Kalle :shred:
kalle.jpg

Oh, yeah.

Durbans, if your q is for me, I'm not really God, it just seems that way :lol: j/k
I can assure you nu-metal and hardcore aren't in my repertoire, I just find fast runs, palm mutes, sweeps et al much easier on heavier strings, it's just the way I play. It's a real shit when I don't have my guitar with me coz I can barely string two notes together on anyone elses.

Dan you and i know full well that you are the nu-metal king... it's just that you happen to play it all backwards......

')